[Hak] Central Java, May 2013

hakhak

Sep 13, 2009
Simei

For the first time, I planned an overseas trip purely meant for photography, and I would say it was an extremely good experience and would definitely go for another one in future. I went on this trip with a photography buddy, and I was able to spend more time taking photos.

Before posting photos, I'm going to share a little bit of information about the trip first, which I'm sure would be helpful for those who wish to travel to this area in future. The dates were planned to coincide with Waisak (Vesak), and I spent a total of S$750 for this trip (inclusive of air fares). Waking up before 4am daily was kinda crazy, but I really pity the driver whom we hired for the entire trip, as he had to wake up at the same time as us.

My itinerary (and the prices) are as follows:

Tuesday
Morning: Arrive at Yogyakarta Airport (AirAsia S$271 return, 15kg baggage)
Our driver for the entire trip picked us up from the airport (Rp. 3,250,000 for driver and car, including fuel)
Afternoon: Prambanan (Entrance: Rp. 85,000. Parking: Rp. 10,000)
Sunset: Ratu Boko Temple (Entrance inc. dinner: Rp. 90,000)
Accommodation: Manohara Hotel (Rp. 850,000 /room, includes entrance ticket to Borobudur)

Wednesday
Sunrise: Borobudur Temple (Sunrise ticket: Rp. 230,000)
Afternoon: Selogriyo Temple (Entrance: Rp. 10,000. Parking: Rp. 10,000)
Accommodation: Tlogo Plantation (Rp. 275,000 /room)

Thursday
Sunrise: Rawa Pening Lake (Free of charge)
Afternoon: Gedong Songo Temple (Entrance: Rp. 10,000. Parking: Rp. 3,000)
Accommodation: Vogel Hostel (Rp. 150,000 /room)

Friday
Sunrise: Mount Merapi hike with guide (Rp. 140,000)
Afternoon: Jalan Malioboro (Free of charge)
Sunset: Parangtritis Beach (Entrance: Rp. 3,500. Parking: Rp. 10,000)
Accommodation: Grand Quality Hotel Yogyakarta (Rp. 550,000 /room)

Saturday
Sunrise: Punthuk Setumbu (Entrance: Rp. 20,000. Parking: Rp. 10,000)
Afternoon till midnight: Waisak procession from Mendut Temple to Borobudur Temple (Free of charge)
Accommodation: N.A. (Free of charge. We rested at the hotel lobby from 1-5am, before leaving for the airport to catch the 7am flight home)

Gears used during this trip:
Canon EOS 6D
Canon 17-40mm f4L
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 70-200mm f4L

More than 2,300 photos were taken during this trip at the different locations shown in the map below (first time making use of my in camera GPS).

I might take some time to process and upload the photos, so please be patient! I'm also not very good at writing stuff, but I hope the brief description that I will give for each photo will be useful enough!

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
Patiently camping here for more. :)

I have always admire the scenic landscape of Central Java - especially the Borobudur and Prambanan. Waiting patiently for you to post pics.

Joining the camp mates. :cool:

i always like the idea of photography vacation
camping here too

also waiting!! can set up camp already

So many campers liao. Think we set up dorm cos i joining the fray too. Ha.

Nice! Camping for more as well! I would have been on this trip with you as well if not for issues at work.

Wah, everyone camping. Think we need a barrack now. Waiting......

Oh wow, I'm really surprised and honoured to have so many campers over here :D I hope I won't disappoint you guys!

Nice! Camping for more as well! I would have been on this trip with you as well if not for issues at work.

Oh it's you! I was wondering who is it haha. I would not have been on this trip if you didn't suggest it in the first place! :bsmilie:
Nice website btw!

Prambanan

After a 2 hours direct flight by AirAsia, we arrived at Yogyakarta Airport where we met our driver who drove us around for the entire trip in a Toyota Innova. Our first stop after lunch was Prambanan, a 9th-century Hindu temple compound. We arrived there at around 2pm, which wasn't really an ideal timing for taking photo, hence the need for HDRs for some of my shots such as these two (taken hand held).

There were many locals visiting this temple, especially students who were probably on school trips. I have no idea why, but for us tourists, we had to wear a sarong that they provided us with, and this applies to other temples as well, not just in Prambanan. Almost every Indonesian that I met thought that I was a local; if I could speak Bahasa Indonesia, maybe I would receive the same treatment as the locals and probably paid less for the attractions here!

One tip for students, or for those like me who think they still look like a student, remember to bring a student pass when you come here, or actually as long as you are travelling overseas. For Prambanan temple, the entrance ticket for a student costs almost half that of an adult!

Here's a shot of my travel buddy in the sarong that I mentioned, totally focused on shooting the stone walls.

Last edited:
Here in Prambanan, as well as at Borobudur temple, there are photographers like this man over here who offers to take a photo for you, and I believe to print it on the spot as well, just like a mobile photo booth! I'm not sure if this is common in other countries, but it is the first time I have seen such service. Of course, they didn't bother asking those carrying DSLRs :bsmilie:

To enter the largest temple, Shiva Temple, you have to queue up and wear a safety helmet, but only a maximum of 50 people are allowed inside at once.

I thought there wasn't anything to be seen inside, so I decided to skip it. I just googled and realised there are actually some statues inside, so if any of you are visiting Prambanan, maybe you might want to consider entering.

I'm not very good at taking artistic close up shots of the beautiful rock walls of the temples, so here are just 2 of my shots.

Another shot of the temples, a side view this time, as we exited the compound.

Just before we got out of the huge compound, we spotted this enclosed area with many deer, or fawns, or whatever these are called. Oh well, I shall just call it Bambi :bsmilie:

Let's play spot the difference! Oh wait, all these shops have almost identical layouts, banners and sell the same stuff. How do they compete for customers? I needed a drink actually, but with all the shopkeepers calling me over, I didn't know who to choose, and ended up choosing none of them. I wish I had a better angle of this shot though, ideally right in front of all these shops. But I was just too scared of all the shopkeepers (hidden from this angle) to stand right in front of them :eek:

hmm nice photos. :)

Ratu Boko

Next up, we headed to Ratu Boko temple for sunset, which was just a short distance away from Prambanan. I believe there's a shuttle service to Ratu Boko, but we had our own driver and car to make use of.

We decided to walk around the complex first while waiting for the sun to set. Other than the more famous main gate of the complex, there are a few other small temples and structures.

Over here are some pools, and if I'm not wrong, they were used for bathing by the King.

Some kids playing soccer in the temple grounds.