H1N1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluff-fluff

Apr 5, 2009
Are u all scare of getting H1N1?
Is there any extra personal measures being implement at home or by yourself to aviod it? if yes, what are the measures?

i got young and old people in my family. they belongs to the high risk group risking to high chance of complications. im worried for them more than myself.

do you think getting an air purifier helps?

Last edited:
Are u all scare of getting H1N1?
Is there any extra personal measures being implement at home or by yourself to aviod it? if yes, what are the measures?

i got young and old people in my family. they belongs to the high risk group risking to high chance of complications. im worried for them more than myself.

do you think getting an air purifier helps?

1) you are more likely to die from Type A influenza than H1N1.

2) you are at risk if you are younger and older, but that does not equate to instant/confirmed death warrant.

3) you are actually more at risk if you have an underlying medical condition that may render the immune system weaker. if so, any cold symptoms that appear in such people, bring them to the doctor immediately. if I'm not mistaken, treatment will be the administration of tamiflu within the first 72 hours of symptom showing (at least this is what we're doing in Melbourne).

3a) I said cold symptoms because while the flu and cold symptoms overlap each other greatly, the skeletal aching sensation normally comes later. the first symptoms to show may be a fever, running nose or a sore throat. since these symptoms are similar to the cold, most people confuse it with the flu and start bringing doom upon themselves by thinking so. also, you know you're down with the flu if you take up to 18 days to recover from your symptoms, as compared to the common cold and its turn around period of < 1 week.

4) an air purifier will work as well as you trying to clean your dishes by licking it clean. the efficacy for such things have been doubtful at most, and since the flu does not only spread via airborne particles, you'd be better of taking other preventative measures. such as washing your hands with soap regularly, covering your mouth/nose whilst sneezing or coughing, and making sure you use tissue paper to blow your nose, and disposing them into a dustbin immediately.

5) be less paranoid. for now, it is still a mild and less virulent form of the Type A influenza (which statistically kills MORE PEOPLE annually than swine flu has in all its three occurrences in the past 100 years).

Last edited:
it so happens that in my family there are a few member who are old and do underlying a few medical condition daibetic and cancer. their immune system are weaker.

I'm much more worried about my slightly oily scalp compared to H1N1.

it so happens that in my family there are a few member who are old and do underlying a few medical condition daibetic and cancer. their immune system are weaker.

okay. even so, there is nothing you can do (bar locking them in an isolation bubble with filtered air and water piped through to them). make sure that they have a healthy diet/lifestyle, and to exercise to increase levels of immunity.

personally, i feel that it's overly feared and i think the media has been a push factor of such.

everyday u had people dying from various diseases, just that H1N1 got more publicity :sweat:

I agree with what Exposure is saying.

It's ridiculous the one sided coverage of H1N1 we've seen so far.

Why not publish the number of people who have died bigger?
How about the number of people who have recovered?

precisely.

over in Melbourne, it's not even on the news any more, bar the occasional deaths that occur. and we're supposedly an epicentre.

Now MOH tells you the sitrep, you say MOH overeact.

When SHTF and MOH didn't give current sitrep , you say why MOH never give proper sitrep.

Last edited:
There are many more infectious deceases out there, much more dangerous viruses, and yet, some countries in Asia are bending backwards performing herculean tasks to "stop" the spread of H1N1. Why?

Just came back to Singapore. They finally put in place a health questionnaire for everyone arriving through Changi. What I saw, it was merely another bureaucratic maneuver that really serve no purpose, other than appearing to be doing something, that is really not needed.

i guess those actions are to show the general public that something is being done ... ok lah better than nothing rite :sweat:

would there be a need for all these measures if people actually listened to common sense and realise that there are deadlier, more common viruses that are equally as dangerous, if not more dangerous than this H1N1 strain?

i guess those actions are to show the general public that something is being done ... ok lah better than nothing rite :sweat:

Cannot disagree more. Just doing something that is of no value add means it is useless, and therefore, should be scrapped.

it will be even a longer holiday, if should the virus mutates itself into a new deadly strain. :sweat:

There are now 701 cases.

It's very fortunate the mortality rate for this strain is relatively low.

Imagine what would happen in crowded Singapore if a more powerful strain hits.

The current handling of situation already tells us a very clear answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.