Guide to find wedding photographer - ask him what kind of cam he use!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
someone posted this in sgbrides extracted from theknots.com . i did a copy and paste and one of the questions to ask the photographer is what kind of camera he use? oh no. I better upgrade my D70 to D200 soon :cry:

Your wedding pictures will define your memories of the big day for the rest of your life, so it's very important to choose the right photographer. To help you make the best choice, we've compiled a list of 16 questions to ask potential photographers.

1. What's the photographer's primary style -- traditional, candid, or posed? (Go for someone whose forte is your favorite style.)

2. What's the photographer's philosophy about shooting weddings? (This question will give you an idea of the shutterbug's expertise and passion for his work.)

3. Does the photographer shoot in color, black and white, or both?

4. How independent is the photographer? Does she prefer that you describe exactly what you want, or would she rather have free rein to capture the festivities on film? (This point determines how you two will work together.)

5. Will the photographer you talk with be the one who actually takes your wedding pictures? (This is crucial! Each photographer's style is unique.)

6. Has the photographer shot many weddings? (Experts say a wedding neophyte is a risk. You want someone who's experienced with wedding mechanics and won't miss key moments.)

7. How many weddings will the photographer shoot on your wedding weekend (or even on your wedding day)?

8. Is the photographer open to a list of must-take photos (pictures you definitely want shot)?

9. How does the photographer determine price? By the number and kind of prints you think you'll want, the hours the photographer spends on your wedding, the developing time, or a combination of the above factors? How many rolls of film will be shot, and how many proofs and final prints will result? Are packages available? Can you get a price list?

10. What kinds of cameras does the photographer use? (This will acquaint you with the photographer's experience and knowledge.)

11. What kind of lighting and other equipment (such as tripods) does the photographer use? Does the photographer bring backup equipment in case of emergency?

12. Does the photographer develop his own film? How long does he keep negatives? Can you buy your negatives from the photographer?

13. Ask yourself: Does this seem like a person you could tolerate throughout your wedding day? You'll want to feel very comfortable around your photographer. Rapport is important with all wedding professionals, but it's crucial here!

14. Carefully examine each photographer's past work (the book). Be sure you're looking at work shot by this particular photographer, not by other professionals who work at the same studio.

15. Notice whether:

photos are framed and centered well

photos are over- or underexposed

lighting is effective

details are visible

people look comfortable and relaxed

16. Call references and ask:

Were you satisfied overall?

Did the photographer get the shots you wanted?

Has the photographer responded promptly to orders?

I know very well it is THE MAN BEHIIND THE LENS but..........

if that's so, why got such guideline........will it mislead the customers?

jOhO said:
hey.. that sounds like a song title... is it? :dunno:

:devil:
The only song I know... erm.. NEVERMIND. :bsmilie:

If every couple asks this kind of question during an enquiry or meeting, might as well we all go get ISO 9XXX certified.

maybe I need to prepare answers for this questions so that I can answer if they happen to see this questions before!

so many questions, how to answer man...........:cry:

Prolly written by a consumer who has not been behind the lens, so to speak.Fair enough, but a comment as such taken too far might not be palatable :)

Paul_Yeo said:
maybe I need to prepare answers for this questions so that I can answer if they happen to see this questions before!

Why you need to prepare the answers? you start charging liao? Congrats!!

i don't see anything wrong with the guidelines quoted.

photographers should learn to be less defensive and more confident about their skills, portfolio and equipment.

LazerLordz said:
Prolly written by a consumer who has not been behind the lens, so to speak.Fair enough, but a comment as such taken too far might not be palatable :)

Definitely is not written by a consumer, I'm sure is by a half f**k photographer.

Sorry for using this word, does not like my usual way, too piss off

Paul_Yeo said:
I know very well it is THE MAN BEHIIND THE LENS but..........

if that's so, why got such guideline........will it mislead the customers?
i dun actually know wat ur point is.

u posted that article (which i've read b4) to warn us that consumers might ask such questions, or are u questioning the objectivity of it?

either way, u dun have to worree. if customers wanna ask, u just ans. the most, they don't engage u only if your answer is "wrong" wat.. why worree?

catchlights said:
Why you need to prepare the answers? you start charging liao? Congrats!!

I should say, I stop providing free service liao :embrass:

Bcos I wanted to give good photos, thus, I will only start charging when I am confident.

Maybe D200 will boost my confidence :devil:

jOhO said:
i dun actually know wat ur point is.

u posted that article (which i've read b4) to warn us that consumers might ask such questions, or are u questioning the objectivity of it?

either way, u dun have to worree. if customers wanna ask, u just ans. the most, they don't engage u only if your answer is "wrong" wat.. why worree?

Bcos it is my first time seeing this article and maybe it is useful for you all? At the same time, I am thinking that I am only using a D70. I should train harder to boost my own confidence. :embrass:

catchlights said:
Definitely is not written by a consumer, I'm sure is by a half f**k photographer.

Sorry for using this word, does not like my usual way, too piss off

My turn: go drink liang teh.hahahahahhahahahhaha;)

Paul_Yeo said:
Bcos it is my first time seeing this article and maybe it is useful for you all? At the same time, I am thinking that I am only using a D70. I should train harder to boost my own confidence. :embrass:

thx for sharing the article, paul.

what's wrong with a D70? lots of pros shoot with it!

Paul_Yeo said:
if many customers don't engage u becos they think you are "only using a d70" (quoting u) then what will you do?

"training harder" (again quoting you) is always a must, whether u have a d70 or d2x.

As I stated in a few previous threads,

if the bride really asked qn 10, I'll have to reply by asking this question, "U look exceptionally beautiful today. What makeup did u use?". with a cheeky[ ;) ]

Status
Not open for further replies.