Greetings from "Downunder"

Status
Not open for further replies.

coinfucious888

Mar 7, 2009
Western Australia
Greetings from the most isolated city in the world (Perth, Western Australia).

I have been a visitor here for close to 4 months now and today took the plunge and signed up. I hope to learn from the "sifus" here.

My first love is numismatics (coin collecting), however photography, especially macro photography goes hand in hand with numismatics. The ability to take very detailed shots where a tiny scratch will look like the Grand Canyon is of upmost importance. In certain coins, this could mean the difference of a few thousand dollars.

I have been using a DSC (Sony DSC F828) for more than 5 years with fairly good results. Last week, I grasped the nettle and upgraded to a DSLR (Nikon D300 with a bundled 18 - 200 VR). Also purchased at the same time a 60mm f/2.8 for macro work.

Cheers

Welcome to CS

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

You mean scratches like these :

If so, then you may need higher magnification... look up reverse lens macro. ;)

welcome to clubsnap coinfucious888,

you're lucky to be located there. i've been to perth a couple of times and loved it. it has many great places and photo opportunities.
fyi, one of our past moderator was from perth too. =)

once again, welcome to our forum. do enjoy yourself here learning and sharing.

Many thanks for the very warm welcome.

Zac08....we normally magnify to between 10-15X but will zoom in for higher magnification if we detect any problems with the coin. Here is a typical photo....

Lunar_Dragon_R.jpg

2003_Roo_R1.jpg

I see...

for the macro lenses that are avail. in the market, they normally only reach 1:1 magnification ratio. Anything above 1:1 is done with extension tubes or reverse stacking. :)

Many thanks for the very warm welcome.

Zac08....we normally magnify to between 10-15X but will zoom in for higher magnification if we detect any problems with the coin. Here is a typical photo....

Lunar_Dragon_R.jpg

2003_Roo_R1.jpg

Can see you got some fine selection here, not about the photos, but the coins .... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.