Green/Purple Discoloration

eosdigital

Feb 11, 2008
This photo was taken at foggy conditions at Glacier Bay NP with a 70-200 F2.8 IS MK1 and a 1.4x TC, at the tele end.

uov42.jpg

After some editing in Photoshop to improve the contrast and all, I noticed green and purple discolouration - green in the middle of the background, purple at the sides.
What cause this issue? I heard of CA but it was never this severe, being at the outline of certain subjects i.e tree leaves. Or was it due to the fog?

Another example is this photograph. After using the Levels tool to improve the contrast, the discoloration become quite obvious although it's already inside the untouched photo.
I clean my lens regulary and was sure it was clean before use. Is it due to the teleconverter?

14c6wr8.jpg

Unedited, 280mm end.

15hlr4.jpg

After levels tool.

Last edited:
could be a combination of body and lens.

If you shot it with a 30D, the files may not be as malleable as you'd like. Moreover the weakest spot of the 70-200 IS mk1 is at the 200mm tele end where there is a loss of sharpness, and more noticeably, a loss of contrast resulting in a slightly foggy image. The results are made worse due to the added TC.

Coupled with the already foggy weather conditions...i think you hit the limitations of the lens and body.