Grainy pic taken....

Status
Not open for further replies.

petshopboys

Oct 15, 2007
Hi all

I have a 4 years old Nikon D70....seldom used....
I realised alot of pics I have taken since last year are very grainy....I have upgrade the firmware byself by the way
I set the mode to auto...so i presume the iso also in auto mode? Or i have to change in the setup?

Can i send the body back to Nikon to check? I have purchased a extended warranty from Harvey Norman so most probably should be free...

Anyway to change the setting in the setup mode back to factory setting?

Have you tried checking what ISO the pics were shot at? Can you post a sample pic with EXIF data?

Also, the Harvey Norman warranty only applies to Harvey Norman. It's not an extended Nikon Warranty.

How about a photo?

if i remember correctly the D70 will display noise when the iso is too high eg. ISO800
so try to set your iso to ISO 200 and take a picture in nice daylight
and another one with ISO 400 and another with ISO 800

i think it is the ISO and not the camera

For D70s, once your ISO goes to 800 the grains become obvious. In auto mode, yes, your ISO is set by the camera. I presume, a lot of your shots were in low light, hence the camera increases the ISO to get the correct exposure.

I think according to my papa if you require to shoot at night yet don't want to compromise on ISO,
the only way is to decrease your shutter speed.
Auto may set it at 1/2000 in the day but at night you may have to set it on 1/4 of a second.

Marie

I set the mode to auto...so i presume the iso also in auto mode? Or i have to change in the setup?
Search for your manual or download the pdf from Nikon. It's described there.

Can i send the body back to Nikon to check? I have purchased a extended warranty from Harvey Norman so most probably should be free... Anyway to change the setting in the setup mode back to factory setting?

Send to Nikon for checking your settings? :think: No comment.
It seems you have limited knowledge about the very basics of photography and also about how to set your camera. For the basics pf photography you can read the Photography Notes for Newbies here, your camera manual tells you how to adjust the camera. In addition you can attend photography workshops or one of the many gatherings, outings and kopi sessions of CS members.

Yr grainy pic is most probably digital noise, common for the older DSLR technology (D70 is 5 years old technology?) Digital noise can be caused by high ISO or long exposure time. To make yrself more comfortable that yr camera is still working fine, u can try to set ISO to 200, set to A (aperture priority) mode not P (program mode), go out on a sunny day and take a few test shots on nearby buildings and trees and sky, u should not see digital noise.

thanks for all the reply.....I will try out those advise.....
Bought the DSLR on impulse last time......when my relative saw the body last month, ask me how come so new when it is already 4 years old:bsmilie::bsmilie:

thanks for all the reply.....I will try out those advise.....
Bought the DSLR on impulse last time......when my relative saw the body last month, ask me how come so new when it is already 4 years old:bsmilie::bsmilie:

The BBB virus is powerful...

Hi all

I have a 4 years old Nikon D70....seldom used....
I realised alot of pics I have taken since last year are very grainy....I have upgrade the firmware byself by the way

Can i send the body back to Nikon to check? I have purchased a extended warranty from Harvey Norman so most probably should be free...

Anyway to change the setting in the setup mode back to factory setting?

Did you check the ISO? Read the user manual on the different settings like aperture priority, shutter priority etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.