grad filters-brands and price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
i'm looking for grad filters, +2 or +3 doesnt matter.
i need it to fit at least 77mm lens.
i have the cokin system but had since lost my filter holder and IIRC, it cant go up to 77mm.

any recommendations, brands and indicative price and where to buy?

thanks much csers:)

I have no problem with the Cokin P-series (wide series available at Cathay Photo) holder covering the 77mm and without vignetting.

For grads, I use a +2 Galen Rowell's Graduated Neutral Density Filters and a +3 Daryl Benson Reverse Neutral Density Graduated Filters.

You have to order them direct from:

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

If I were to do it over again, I instead go for the Cokin Z-Pro series (have to order) that can hold 100mm filters and get the 4 x 6 inches Singh Ray filters instead of what I recommended earlier.

Last edited:
i'm looking for grad filters, +2 or +3 doesnt matter.
i need it to fit at least 77mm lens.
i have the cokin system but had since lost my filter holder and IIRC, it cant go up to 77mm.

any recommendations, brands and indicative price and where to buy?

thanks much csers:)

For a start, you can try TianYa.

I have no problem with the Cokin P-series (wide series available at Cathay Photo) holder covering the 77mm and without vignetting.

For grads, I use a +2 Galen Rowell's Graduated Neutral Density Filters and a +3 Daryl Benson Reverse Neutral Density Graduated Filters.

You have to order them direct from:

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

If I were to do it over again, I instead go for the Cokin Z-Pro series (have to order) that can hold 100mm filters and get the 4 x 6 inches Singh Ray filters instead of what I recommended earlier.

thanks very much.

may i know the difference between P series and Z-pro series?

P series holds filters of width 84mm, attaches to lenses up to 82mm in diameter
Z-pro series holds filters of width 100mm, attaches to lenses up to 96mm in diameter.

Other than having a lens that has a bigger diameter, a more common reason why 35mm SLR users use a bigger holder is to use it on wide angle lenses without too much issues of vignetting ( compared to the Cokin P ).

As quoted from Cokin

To avoid vignetting :

- «A» Series is recommended for focal lengths from 35mm onwards (35mm format).
- «P» Series is recommended for focal lengths from 28mm onwards (35mm format).
- «Z-PRO» Series is recommended for focal lengths from 20mm onwards (35mm format).
- «X-PRO» Series is recommended for focal lengths from15mm onwards (35mm format).

Ryan

Last edited:
thanks ryan.

sigh.that means i got to buy an 'entire' new system cos last time IIRC, mine was the P system.

You can always try handholding them. I usually slap them against my lens and u dun get any vignetting issues.

There is a slim mount Cokin P holder that lets me employ it in focal lengths wider than 24mm without vignetting.

I cannot imagine switching my entire range of SR products to their bigger filter sizes :p

Ryan

You can always try handholding them. I usually slap them against my lens and u dun get any vignetting issues.

There is a slim mount Cokin P holder that lets me employ it in focal lengths wider than 24mm without vignetting.

I cannot imagine switching my entire range of SR products to their bigger filter sizes :p

Ryan

what filter system u using?

whats SR?

what filter system u using?

whats SR?

Cokin P size filter - Singh Ray.
They got a bigger filter size if you need. Any bigger u gotta ask them to tailor
make for u ( they are pretty flexible to photog needs ; i have seen some fellas on other forums asking them to custom make filters for screw mounts )

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.