GP Battery Exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. I use GP 2700mAh. Last time one was discharged to practically zero in my flash after some use. When the flash (FL-50) stopped working, I removed all four and started charging. After a few minutes the charger showed error for one battery. I marked that one, moved around and the same thing again. Then I measured the voltage and the marked one showed practically zero. I removed all the others and tried to charge that single one. It came to life after about 30 minutes and then charged all four together. I have an intelligent charger so different discharge levels is not a problem. But now, I don't know if I ever buy GP again. I hope it will not explode in my FL-50 or my camera bag.

Thanks for sharing.

It looks like the batteries where short circuited as the victim said "the bag felt warm to the touch".

This incident could be very similar to the case of the DELL notebook that caught fire due to internal battery short circuit.

The battery should be sent back to GP for further failure analysis to find out the root cause.
Hopefully, this is not a product problem.

It looks like the batteries where short circuited as the victim said "the bag felt warm to the touch".

This incident could be very similar to the case of the DELL notebook that caught fire due to internal battery short circuit.

The battery should be sent back to GP for further failure analysis to find out the root cause.
Hopefully, this is not a product problem.
Its similar case, but remember, GP is Ni-MH and IIRC DELL notebook is Li-ION battery...

Regards,
Arto.

Hmmmm..., quite interesting. The battery is not explode when in charging. It is explode on 'protective' GP bag. Probably short circuit on the battery itself. This can happen when you drop the battery and hit at the + side, causing the insulation to break and short circuit. Full single AA 2700mAH, if short circuit can deliver plenty of ampere on the short circuit causing it to very hot (and explode). IMHO, it can happen to any brand, not GP only.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Arto.

It looks like our modern batteries are getting more unsafe ..... So dangerous:eek:
I guess they are trying to pack too much power capacity into the batteries... :think:

oh no. my friend dropped his maha 2700 from the 2nd floor. better go and do a check before anything happens!

I been using GP2500 for my electric toothbrush. What if ... :sweat:

i'm using GP batteries for almost 5 years already, it's still ok with me ler...
from 1800 mah till 2300 mah, got no problem ler...
maybe 2700 is too much for a AA size...

Oh my god..All my batteries are GP...from 1600 2000 2300 2700...walao..worry liao...but I should recommend everybody put the batteries carefully..never make them short circuit by accidentally connects its two poles by metal thing like keys...

try to seperate them ..the person put GP inside its charger..hmm..may be the charger shorted..So to avoid it..don't put you batteries in charger lor unless you charge them..Hope everybody is safe...

Oh my god..All my batteries are GP...from 1600 2000 2300 2700...walao..worry liao...but I should recommend everybody put the batteries carefully..never make them short circuit by accidentally connects its two poles by metal thing like keys...

try to seperate them ..the person put GP inside its charger..hmm..may be the charger shorted..So to avoid it..don't put you batteries in charger lor unless you charge them..Hope everybody is safe...
I don't think its a charger. It is looks like a small bag to protect the battery.

Regards,
Arto.

I don't think its a charger. It is looks like a small bag to protect the battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Oh is this...then how it blew off..hmm..worried liao..my batteries all are GP..how,how?

I been using GP2500 for my electric toothbrush. What if ... :sweat:
I think it is safe enough. It is explode because short circuit. How many cell on your electric toothbrush? If 2 cells, one cell short circuit, and one cell working, it will not provide enough electricity to run your electric toothbrush.

My guessing only...

Regards,
Arto.

It's most likely NOT a "GP" brand problem, as this type of thing can happen to ANY BRAND of rechargeable cell. Rechargeable batteries (of any chemistry, NiMH, Lead-acid, Li-ion, etc) have very low internal resistance. If short-circuited, this low resistance results in a very high current flow that is running through the cell. The high current is mostly dissipated as heat in a short circuit, and this heat just builds up inside the sealed cell, causing the contents to expand and gases be given off from the boiling electrolyte. This ultimately results in an explosion.

As mentioned by Artosoft, damage to the cell (by dropping for example) can cause such a short circuit. Another thing could be water inside that storage bag (from getting wet in the rain?).

I don't think there is any need to panic. As with all things, proper use and care of the product would not create situations in which this type of accident could occur.

using energizer.... heng ah.... ;)

batteries can be shorted in many cases - such as droppage(dent is a good sign), moisture short due to condensation, battery mechanical failure itself...

As for rechargeables, they are normally design to operate at certain temperature where its mechanical safety vents would come in handy to vent and/or dampen explosion. Gradual venting like leakage may happen when a battery gets out of its tolerated specs - eg. heat due to overcharge etc.

So as long as the batteries are used based on normal condition then the probabaility of occurance would then be low. Also use the intended proprietory charger to be safe too as battery overcharging may result in latent explosion. When a battery charging is rising HOT, it means that the battery charger is topping off the battery to its almost 90%~100% charge. Its at the 90%~100% charge that temperature will start to rise really fast.

Cheapo blind chargers do not have specific algo to suit certain battery capacity. So its best to get the same brand charger. Minimally try to avoid using higher capacity chargers for lower capacity batts to be safe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.