Got my 1st DSLR end up quite upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thing happened when I bought an electric guitar. Played it and I sounded nothing like Eric Clapton...then someone told me I would have to learn how to play it. Aiyo...spent so much money and I don't sound like Clapton. Maybe I will go back to my tambourine.

To members,

Please stick to the topic and don't go OT.

Regards
megaweb

Megaweb, I wanted to edit something and add in a note but there was a technical problem.

To TS,

I would suggest, in the order of preference, reading:

1) The BASICS of photography

2) Understanding LIGHT

3) Understanding you XXX digital SLR or Understanding / Getting the best out of your Digital SLR.

You can Yahoo or Google all these, or better yet, shut-down your komputter and borrow a good old book from the library, and take your time flipping through the pages, stopping every now and then to grasp the wisdom hidden within.

Unlike the instant feed-back on the LCD screen of a digital camera, don't expect to understand everything in one week. Some people take months, or years just to perfect the basics. Don't force yourself to try and understand everything in one night. Just go comfortably at your own pace, and take-down / make use of key-notes. Along the way, you might actually find learning a joy!

In the days of film, before the existance of EXIF data, beginners or even meticulous professionals would take a note-book and record everything ... every single detail, technical, existing conditions, and even what they saw or felt in their hearts and envisioned in their minds for that one photograph. I know of professionals who still take down notes on every single detail, except some have gotten so proficient, they do it mentally, unless it's a very complex still-life, interior or large-scale product shoot, the out comes pen and paper.

Nowadays, it's PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK PIAK SEE LCD GO PUUI! then come back, log onto forum and ask 'How come ah?'

Don;t just read or look, learn to see and think about what you're doing at each and every step. Yes, in the beginning you will miss many shots. Don't worry - most of those 'shots' would have turned out crappy anyways. Master those controls or those controls will master you, and you might still get crappy shots, but at least you would be able to identify what went wrong.

If you're read this far, congratulations! It shows that you had some patience and peserverance. Now, go and enjoy learning about photography.

CHEERS!

U got to understand the basic understanding of controlling your camera. Yea like what other had suggested. Go library and borrow some books to readup. :thumbsup:

When i first bought my camera I feel like an idiot with a super big camera that scares people away.

Try posting some photos here for advise, then keep shooting. Try to shoot in groups which are from clubsnap. Often will have people who wish to shoot together and exchange pointers.

Learn the composure rules as a basic guideline to how photos should look. As for equipment wise, i had saw many kit lens take great photos so dun worry too much about your gear at the moment ;)

:) reminds me of my first few shots on my 350D + kit ...... got it at night, so my first few shots were shot at night + hand held + kit lens haha, did had quite a scare as I also thought my PNS camera gave better results. After about a 1000 shots before I could "feel" more of my shots and control them in getting better results.

So just have fun ! ain't that what hobbies(hope it is yours too) are about :)

I can coach you personally to use your DSLR.

Let me know which weekends you are free. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.