Got Curry?

Sion said:
Don't know why our weather is so hot still got people want to eat hot curry? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Eat curry and sweat is damn shiok, that is the Singaporean way:bsmilie:

Well if you like it you eat it. If you don't like it you don't eat it.

Most important thing is that you do not violate peoples rights or restrict peoples lifestyle for your own selfishness.

And people who can't eat curry, don't be jealous of those that can :) Whatever excuses you give will not make any difference :)

Curry has taken over as the national dish (I don't think they have the right to call it national dish, since they did not invent it, but should be called popular dish) even in foreign countries.

United Kingdom - more like take away food culture, but it is fighting with chinese take away for the the number 1 spot,

Israel - curry chicken their version is more like Devils curry or Eurasian curry, but it is curry chicken

Japan - Curry with flour but essentially very Indian tasting curry without spiciness

Germany - Don't know whether it counts but they have curry wurst, and tomato ketchup with curry,

Yeah just find it interesting that Curry is really international, and that people of diverse cultures and in countries far away also enjoy curry in their own way.

Curry has taken over as the national dish (I don't think they have the right to call it national dish, since they did not invent it, but should be called popular dish) even in foreign countries.

Fish head curry is invented in Singapore.

It was an accidental invention as the fish head which was hanging on the ceiling for drying to make salt fish fell into the curry pot. :bsmilie:

I like the Hong Lim Curry Noodle too!!
My favorite is still the Nan Nan Curry Chicken at Jurong East tho.

Is the Curry Bun a Singaporean invention or is it a Japanese invention??

i think i read somewhere that curry powder was actually invented by the british

There is a possibility in that. I believe the name curry powder could be a British invention. Else it would be masala mixture which would be mixed daily to specific requirements.

So curry powder is just the ready mixed version which we all know. Possibly made for the British.

Japanese curry did not come directly from India, but from the British navy (don't know why British armed forces always request one main dish to be curry). Saw in a Japanese documentry about curry, that in the past before WW1, Japanese sailors had trouble keeping watch for the 8 hours of duty without fainting at sea. (Last time a diet while sailing the 7 seas had only preserved food) So when they asked the British navy for help, the British navy recommended to them curry, and that they eat beef as well. The curry worked for the Japanese! And soon retried sailors started setting up curry restaurants. And yes they even add worchester sauce to their curry powder!! How British is that?? Mainly they add flour to their curry so that it does not cause Japanese rice to get soggy. But having eaten their curry, their rice also gets soggy??!!! just that they give more thick sauce to cover one portion of the rice when serving.

The shocking part came that Japanese are one of the top 5 curry consumers in the world, with their national average being once a week. I thought Singapore or Malaysia should be the ones up there in the top 5.

Last edited:
Curry Bun is another accidental invention in Singapore.

A pastry chef mixed up curry ingredients with Tau Sar in a restaurant kitchen.

The customers just loved it. :bsmilie:

Well that clears things up, I got confused when someone told me it was invented by one of those Japanese bakeries here?? I think it was 4 leaves?? But they make a rough bun and deep fry it.:devil: But the curry is definitely local. :thumbsup:

Today's curry....only remember to snap pic after a few mouth :)

IMG_1065.jpg

These are the cousins....spicy also :)
IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

channelnewsasia.com/stories/health/view/1148349/1/.html