Gore Tex outwear, where to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$200 is quite impossible.
the advantage of goretex is that it is waterproof yet breathable.
there are several alternatives. 3M makes such a material too. (forgot what name)
check out the stores at peninsula and sports connection

if you want to buy from China, make sure it is genuine.
they have pirated north face jackets for sale openly and it look like real ones (even with goretex tag). These imitation cost S$50.

Goretex is actually stretched teflon, the material found on non-stick frying pans. Worse come to the worse you can make it yourself by buying a few frying pans and putting the teflon on your jacket! :bsmilie:

Just kidding....

sam_always said:
Climb Mt.KK on 2th april....

pai seh la popeye, The air ticket has already booked, also the transportation and accommodation. Perhap next time, on jun climb Mt.Rinjani at Bali island. I will jio you if you want... :)

I have been to Mt. Rinjani last october.
Two mountain in one shot, Mt. Rinjani and Mt. Semeru :D

Alright then, save trip!

popeye said:
I have been to Mt. Rinjani last october.
Two mountain in one shot, Mt. Rinjani and Mt. Semeru :D

Alright then, save trip!

wow.. you been to that 2 mountain ah??? can share some pic? i need to get some info from you le, can?

Plan to go Tibet this dec, will jio you if you want... :)

xieyuqi said:
$200 is quite impossible.
the advantage of goretex is that it is waterproof yet breathable.
there are several alternatives. 3M makes such a material too. (forgot what name)
check out the stores at peninsula and sports connection

Why from the website, the cheapest gore tex jacket i can found is around $100USD which is $170SGD. Why cant get it the same price here??? ;(

Less than $200 for a gor-tex jacket is really quite difficult to find in SG.

If you insists on Gortex, try the SAF gortex jacket from the e-mart.
Maybe less than $200....but I don't think you wanna wear a camo jacket to climb Mt KK. :bigeyes:

Here are a few other suggestions:

1) Vaude - Planet Traveller (Marina Square).
(should be able to get non-Gortex but still waterproof jackets for less than
$200.) - Having Sale now

2) Mountain Designs - X-boundaries (Adelphi Building).
(Nice range of jackets with advice from competent staff.)
Price - ???

3) Campers Corner
(Very expensive stuff they stocked)

4) Outdoor gear shops above CP in Peninsular......

5) Adventure 21 (Chinatown Point)

Hope these helps....... :)

Personally, I feel that if you are a serious hiker, it would be worthwhile to invest in a good Goretex jacket. But I noticed that you tend to hike in tropical locations so I guess thats why you dont want to spend too much on it. Also, Goretex does not work too well in our local weather because of the humidity i.e it is not very breathable. So no point trying to wear it as a raincoat here because a cheapo jacket would do as well.

My advice is to go to sports connection or planet traveller where there are cheap Goretex alternatives. I suspect the website you went to is having a sale, thats why its so cheap. You also have to factor in shipping costs which is a killer. Care to tell me which site you went to?

what i can suggest if you're on a budget, buy a cheap waterproof outer jacket. Those withought lining. preferabble one from a well known brand. I got my rip curl one for about $80. Its just a thick tight woven single layer nylon construction. Then purchase a bottle of nickwax or similar waterproofing agent and liberally apply it onto the jacket. Then just combine it with a few layers of thermal underwear. With this combination i've successfully skiied and hiked in temperatures up to -10 degrees without any discomfort. I think it works better then a gore-tex jacket cuz you can remove layers of thermals in accordance with the different temperatures. When you're warm can remove a layer and still keep the water proof layer on top, unlike a thick jacket which is either on or off. Just remember to re-apply the nickwax before every trip(not every day though), cuz it does tend to wear off especially at the seams and other high firction areas.

Soyuz said:
I suspect the website you went to is having a sale, thats why its so cheap. You also have to factor in shipping costs which is a killer. Care to tell me which site you went to?

ya... some of them are having sales... try www.gore-tex.com. inside got alot of link to other side.... quite nice...

maybe i will order online, becuase they freeship to everywhere in us. so can use singpost...

when to advanture 21 last night. This shop mostly selling marmut outfit. price very scary, $600++ for original gore-tex outfit. Even gore-tex padlite single layer costs $300++. the price too scary liao... really cant afford to buy.... sigh... :(

having climbed in big mountains (8000+metres), I would say that gore-tex is useful, but not to the point essential even for climbs like this.

climbing to KK will evolve alot of interaction with tropical elements, which also means that you will sweat a lot even when the ambient temperature is cold. In this case, gore-tex might not be the best option for you, as while its breathable, it still has 7 times less breathability than a cotton shirt.

a lot of fabrics in the market are waterproof and windproof, but its the breathable element which sets materials apart.

a pac lite jacket will suffice in most conditions, as they do away with the inner lining which saves weight, yet it acts similar to a goretex jacket except that its less abrasion proof.

The ones in adventure 21 are very high quality jackets, and some of these prices are cheaper compared to europe.

The jackets in china are likely to be fake unless you have extensive experience, and you wouldn't want to find out when the weather comes down on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.