Good steakhouse / jap restaurant / eatery for S$30 per pax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, thats good to know. maybe i try that outlet next time. thanks for the feedbacks.

Sure.

The place looks like this:
img1470m.jpg

Your pictures make me hungry!

Sure.

The place looks like this:

Thanks headshotzx. i drove past that place today... from the outside, the restaurant ambiance looks better than the one in front along east coast road.

but aston (along east coast) is always so packed. i went to cha chang ting usually and give aston a miss in my last few attempts to go there... :bsmilie:

Thanks headshotzx. i drove past that place today... from the outside, the restaurant ambiance looks better than the one in front along east coast road.

but aston (along east coast) is always so packed. i went to cha chang ting usually and give aston a miss in my last few attempts to go there... :bsmilie:

The cha chang ting is it the HK one opposite the street? Pass by a few times, the setting looks interesting thou. Is the food good?

The cha chang ting is it the HK one opposite the street? Pass by a few times, the setting looks interesting thou. Is the food good?

the food there is ave (imho). ambiance is ok. The posters on wall is nostalgic as it has many pictures of hk singers of the 80s.

but the hk style nai cha and different types of toast are very good. as the name implies, cha chang ting.

It is a chinese version of fast food. that is why they serve instant noodles and quick to cook dishes. the main thrust is about speed and customer to seating time ratio.

But since it has a huge car park beside, it is the best place in terms of convenience for people who drive. And since it has so many seats, one wont feel paiseh when he sees a queue outside and rush to get off and give the seats to next customer. So, to chat the night away, its a great place to be.

As for price, its about ave like any other cha chang ting in the malls

Do u have to make reservation? I heard the place is always crowded...

if i am not wrong, aston does not practice reservation. in fact, in the past, they demand to see the total number of people before they yield the table to the next in queue.

its a fair system and hence you see a long trail of customers waiting and looking silly outside. Also, since they force people to queue, it naturally is a form of advertisement to all the cars that passes by... whats so great about aston? well, try it to find out.

if i am not wrong, aston does not practice reservation. in fact, in the past, they demand to see the total number of people before they yield the table to the next in queue.

its a fair system and hence you see a long trail of customers waiting and looking silly outside. Also, since they force people to queue, it naturally is a form of advertisement to all the cars that passes by... whats so great about aston? well, try it to find out.

I went to aston prime at 8.45 on a monday night, and my dad reserved just in case. We were the only ones there for a good 10minutes.

:embrass: oic, wanna impress my wife mah. She've oso heard about the place.

I went to aston prime at 8.45 on a monday night, and my dad reserved just in case. We were the only ones there for a good 10minutes.

Monday night is quite ok, sommore at 845pm. Worse time to go is at 630pm on saturday night. I guess times are bad, they used to have such a huge queue formation daily during peak hours. but i begin to witness a weaker crowd compared to a year back.

:embrass: oic, wanna impress my wife mah. She've oso heard about the place.

just go and have a good meal. As Headshotzx is referring to the one at Joo Chiat, and i am talking about the one along east coast road, i hope we did not confuse you.

if you find the one along east coast road too crowded, you can walk over to the one at joo chiat. as i have not compared to the two menus before, i am not sure if both are priced the same with the same items. i believe both are good for steak. but pls avoid lamb chops... its the worst tasting lamb i ever had in my life. I even asked them to re-cook after taking a bite, and the lamb meat stench was still horrible. i ended up paying for another meal and let everyone on the table to sample the bad lamb.

Lamb aside, i think the ambiance is nice, the waiters/waitress are well trained and most of the food there are acceptable for its price... (ie, dont compare with St piere or Morton standard pls! as the high end steak houses charge way too much for a lump of meat pls some overpriced fine wine :bsmilie:)

I have to agree that the waiters and waitresses are well trained. Even though my waiter was a part timer, he explained how the meat tasted like, and what was on the menu, and recommended the food to us. We already had an idea in mind (from ieatishootipost) and his views tallied with what the reviewer mentioned.

I have to agree that the waiters and waitresses are well trained. Even though my waiter was a part timer, he explained how the meat tasted like, and what was on the menu, and recommended the food to us. We already had an idea in mind (from ieatishootipost) and his views tallied with what the reviewer mentioned.

maybe he is regurgitating what he read from ieatishootipost?

my experience between the aston specialties along east coast road and aston prime along joo chiat is quite different. we did enjoy aston prime alot more since it is air conditioned and you can make reservation there. food on the menu is slightly different. the food at prime is more expensive i think, and there are some unique dishes. bright restaurant and ok price.

when we were at specialties we had to wait for half an hour = mosquito target. then the waiter who serve our table was super blur, gave me the wrong stuff i ordered for. but the price at the specialties are a steal. menu is different i think, was looking for the food we had in prime. romantic ambiance with cheap food.

maybe he is regurgitating what he read from ieatishootipost?

Unlikely, because he did recommend other things as well. But if that's the case, it just shows that he reads well? haha. Either way, my experience was pleasant.

my experience between the aston specialties along east coast road and aston prime along joo chiat is quite different. we did enjoy aston prime alot more since it is air conditioned and you can make reservation there. food on the menu is slightly different. the food at prime is more expensive i think, and there are some unique dishes. bright restaurant and ok price.

when we were at specialties we had to wait for half an hour = mosquito target. then the waiter who serve our table was super blur, gave me the wrong stuff i ordered for. but the price at the specialties are a steal. menu is different i think, was looking for the food we had in prime. romantic ambiance with cheap food.

thanks for feedback. as expected, a restaurant with better ambiance & allow reservation should be more premium. No wonder i only see long queue formation outside the old one and hardly see much people outside aston prime. This is great positioning and is following the concept as st piere (one high end and another lower end steakhouse very near each other).

I would prefer not to queue along east coast road. So, aston prime may be a better alternative then.

Status
Not open for further replies.