Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

will be going San Francisco soon....any recommendation for good:
1. Char Siew Rice / Roasted Pock Rice at Chinatown
2. Cheap and Good Sushi at Japantown

Thanks in advance

Cheers.......

I was there last july...erm...didn't quite notice the restaurant name and chinese food.....I ate mainly fastfood....try the Italian outlet next to Safragrado coffee along the Powell Street...there is a Panda restaurant inside the SF shopping centre(if I remember correctly) if you crave for Chinese Food....There are a few restaurants along the Mason & Geary street serve good breakfast and set meals....across the road you can find cheap fast food in at Jack in the box.....if you go to Fisherman Whalf...must try the Clam chowder at the old market...don't be confused by all the stalls...I found those run by Asian cut corner..mixed too much potatoes....the best one is at the last stall and run by Italian(it's called ghetto if I am not mistaken)...try it with sourdoug..yummy :thumbsup: I think that's all for now....it's quite long if I continue :D

Btw which area will you stay? :D

hi,

thanks for the recommendations! Clam chowder is my fav!!!!

actually i am looking for authentic chinese rest, not those resturant chain like Panda Express, they have customised their menu to suit the taste of the Americans, i.e. everything put lots of sugar!!!! too sweet....heh

I'll be staying at Marriot Airport San Fran....

Cheers.

Big Kahuna said:
I was there last july...erm...didn't quite notice the restaurant name and chinese food.....I ate mainly fastfood....try the Italian outlet next to Safragrado coffee along the Powell Street...there is a Panda restaurant inside the SF shopping centre(if I remember correctly) if you crave for Chinese Food....There are a few restaurants along the Mason & Geary street serve good breakfast and set meals....across the road you can find cheap fast food in at Jack in the box.....if you go to Fisherman Whalf...must try the Clam chowder at the old market...don't be confused by all the stalls...I found those run by Asian cut corner..mixed too much potatoes....the best one is at the last stall and run by Italian(it's called ghetto if I am not mistaken)...try it with sourdoug..yummy :thumbsup: I think that's all for now....it's quite long if I continue :D

Btw which area will you stay? :D

plinius said:
hi,

thanks for the recommendations! Clam chowder is my fav!!!!

actually i am looking for authentic chinese rest, not those resturant chain like Panda Express, they have customised their menu to suit the taste of the Americans, i.e. everything put lots of sugar!!!! too sweet....heh

I'll be staying at Marriot Airport San Fran....

Cheers.

You are welcome man...erm...you don't sound like a Singaporean...are you?

Chinese food, I read from my travel guide there is one very famous one in China Town....Let me go home and find out for you tonight :thumbsup:

Wow...since your are already in SF, you should take the Bart to downtown(US$9.95 two way)..about half an hour I think....stay near to Union Square.....that place is happening :thumbsup:

plinius said:
Hi all,

will be going San Francisco soon....any recommendation for good:
1. Char Siew Rice / Roasted Pock Rice at Chinatown
2. Cheap and Good Sushi at Japantown

Thanks in advance

Cheers.......

Not sure about the chop chop in C-town, but please give Kantaro a try. It's a sushi place, really cosy and all. Located diagonally across from Renaissance Parc 55's side entrance. Contact info for Kantaro Sushi is:

124 Ellis.
San Francisco, California
Voice: +1 (415) 986-2339

Give them a call to see if they're still there. Last time i visited that joint was way back in 1998. Recommend the BBQ set for 4 if you've got a party with you.
BTW, pls take care when you're around that area at night. Downtown SF is no joke beyond 4pm.

At the same time, it'll be nice to take a walk down Pier 39, check out the Coit Tower, Twin Peaks etc. Weather now may not be fantastic for high altitude sights though. Expect brisk winds and lots of rain.
Take that 17-40 and give it a good workout man, and enjoy your stay in SF.

Thanks for the recommendation.....will give it a try.....

still undecided to bring my 300D along or not leh, coz i bringing wife and daug along, and the logistics part is killing me, my backpack will be full of milk powder, hot water, pamper etc etc...no room for the DSLR liao leh....anyway, me no $ to get the 17-40 yet leh, still rather happy with the EF-S 18-50mm...heh

maybe just bring the newly acquired Sony DSC-W1....heh

Cheers.....

PLRBEAR said:
Not sure about the chop chop in C-town, but please give Kantaro a try. It's a sushi place, really cosy and all. Located diagonally across from Renaissance Parc 55's side entrance. Contact info for Kantaro Sushi is:

124 Ellis.
San Francisco, California
Voice: +1 (415) 986-2339

Give them a call to see if they're still there. Last time i visited that joint was way back in 1998. Recommend the BBQ set for 4 if you've got a party with you.
BTW, pls take care when you're around that area at night. Downtown SF is no joke beyond 4pm.

At the same time, it'll be nice to take a walk down Pier 39, check out the Coit Tower, Twin Peaks etc. Weather now may not be fantastic for high altitude sights though. Expect brisk winds and lots of rain.
Take that 17-40 and give it a good workout man, and enjoy your stay in SF.

heh..u r the first man to say that me not S'porean...heh... me and my Singlish cannot run one lah....confirm S'porean....heh

Cheers.......

Big Kahuna said:
You are welcome man...erm...you don't sound like a Singaporean...are you?

Chinese food, I read from my travel guide there is one very famous one in China Town....Let me go home and find out for you tonight :thumbsup:

Wow...since your are already in SF, you should take the Bart to downtown(US$9.95 two way)..about half an hour I think....stay near to Union Square.....that place is happening :thumbsup:

Oh yes, while you're at it, do bring your family down to Stanford Univeristy for some great pictures. They've got a breathtaking cathedral with lots of stained glass. Set your camera down on it's back and take a wide shot upwards.

The architecture there is also very nice, and the campus is big enough to explore. :)

ok..will consider that if i still have the time and money...haha...we are going Monterey/Carmel, Muir Wood, Alcatraz, Bay Cruise.....all expensive sia....shack!

haha....

Cheers

PLRBEAR said:
Oh yes, while you're at it, do bring your family down to Stanford Univeristy for some great pictures. They've got a breathtaking cathedral with lots of stained glass. Set your camera down on it's back and take a wide shot upwards.

The architecture there is also very nice, and the campus is big enough to explore. :)

Another option (if you're heading in the other direction) ... Castro Ave (around intersection with El Camino), lots of good asian places there to eat.

But, pardon me for asking, why go all the way there to eat something that's probably better at home ? Shouldn't you be trying other stuff, eg. Tex-Mex, or even a greasy burger off a mobile diner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.