Good Budget Macro/Versatile lens?

beebeeice

Aug 14, 2010
Serangoon
Hello guys. Been wanting to get a Macro lens that is versatile as well. As in it doesnt only take Macro Shots but other things etc. Portrait.

I find myself having to stand far away from my food using my 18-135mm lens whenever i want to take the shots of the food.

So is there any good budget lens? lets say ard $200 XD

Hello guys. Been wanting to get a Macro lens that is versatile as well. As in it doesnt only take Macro Shots but other things etc. Portrait.

I find myself having to stand far away from my food using my 18-135mm lens whenever i want to take the shots of the food.

$200??? No lens available at that price, even bad ones.

But you can consider this macro adapters. They fit over your current lens.

The link above is a combo set of both DCR250 and DCR150. You can also buy they separately at 100+. Each one gives different magnification. You should get the one you need.

For wat you mentioned, you'll need to double your budget and plus a little to get a 2nd hand macro lens. A lens that come to my mind is the Tamron 90mm f2.8. It can also double up as a portrait lens but focussing can be a bit slow due to the long focus range of this lens.

Depending on condition you'll probably have to pay about $350-$500. Of course, you'll need to keep your eye peel for a good deal. Good luck....

There is a wonderful but old manual focusing 55mm micro f2.8 AIS that works great and is probably around that price if you are using nikon. Goes to max of 1:2 reproduction, but probably suffice for food shots.

Ryan

Last edited:
OH ya.. forgot to mention that i am using a Canon 550D XD

there is always the Sigma 70-300 Macro, from memory this is around that price second hand.
Or if its just macro, how about the Raynox 250 Adaptor.

there is always the Sigma 70-300 Macro, from memory this is around that price second hand.
Or if its just macro, how about the Raynox 250 Adaptor.

Sigma 'macro' designation is not true macro... so you know.

OH ya.. forgot to mention that i am using a Canon 550D XD
Nikon lenses can be used on Canon cameras using a mount adapter. The lens is manual anyway, so you will need to set aperture and focus on the lens. Use Av or Manual mode on Canon camera. Other modes are not suitable.

You can try volna 9 or industar 61 L/Z, they come in m42 mount. But it's not 1:1, raynox or extension tube will help.

2nd hand Volna 9 ~ S$ 130 on ebay
2nd hand Industar 61 L/Z ~ S$ 80 on ebay
2nd hand raynox ~ S$ 80 on BnS
new M42-EOS adapter ~ S$ 25 on ebay

Pardon me, but why do u have to stand far away for u to shoot the food?? What kind of shots are you trying to achieve??

Pardon me, but why do u have to stand far away for u to shoot the food?? What kind of shots are you trying to achieve??

the minimal focusing distance for 18-135mm is a around 45cm, longer than what a typical macro/micro lens can achieve. Comparatively, a few other Canon consumer zooms like the 18-55 actually has a shorter MFD. But in all, enough for you to need to put some distance from your dinner seat to take a shot of your plate of char kway tiao!

Ryan

Sorry, I dun quite understand y u need to stand far away when taking food with your 18-135?:dunno:

Im using a 35mm or 50mm lens on a cropped body to shoot and i dun have to go far away. I think it is a good versatile range for you to take with your lens.:think: