Golden Trees in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
showtime said:
white balance is a tricky thing. you need to know 2 things.
1. what is the colour temperature of the ambient light
2. what colour temperature do the settings of your camera relate to.

this is because if you are using a prosumer camera like your sony, the white balance settings will not be as precise as a dslr...
dslrs can do a preset colour temperature reading on the spot(based on ambient light). so accurate reading may be achieved.

for eg.
incandescent setting may be preset by sony for use in 3000k color temp...this is a very general setting for tungsten light. so therefore, unless the ambient exactly matches 3000k colour temp, the exposures will either turn out too blue(cool) or too yellow(warm)

(i use 3000k as an example because my nikon camera sets it this way. sony may be different.)

knowing the colour temp of the ambient light is difficult. and unless one is trained in cinema and lighting or really experienced, its virtually impossible to get an exact reading except with a colour temp meter.

U were saying that a DSLR can do the temperature reading... does that then mean that the DSLR has a built-in colour temperature meter?

TME said:
U were saying that a DSLR can do the temperature reading... does that then mean that the DSLR has a built-in colour temperature meter?

not per say because it does not give the readout in degrees k... but it takes ambient color temp reading off a white card and does the necessary computation of white balance on board...

showtime said:
not per say because it does not give the readout in degrees k... but it takes ambient color temp reading off a white card and does the necessary computation of white balance on board...

Sorry, can explain more. Cos i dun own a DSLR...... thanks!

TME said:
Sorry, can explain more. Cos i dun own a DSLR...... thanks!

which part do you not understand? so i can elaborate on that part...
colour temp? white card? ambient light?

bascially, the camera reads the coour temp off a white card... as in my own white card... can make using a white paper...

this white card will look yellow in tugsten light and greenish in florescent light...
colour temperature is measured in degrees k....
with tungsten light measured as about 3000k. other lighting have different colour temp...

so based on the colour temperature read off the white card, the camera adjust itself...

showtime said:
which part do you not understand? so i can elaborate on that part...
colour temp? white card? ambient light?

bascially, the camera reads the coour temp off a white card... as in my own white card... can make using a white paper...

this white card will look yellow in tugsten light and greenish in florescent light...
colour temperature is measured in degrees k....
with tungsten light measured as about 3000k. other lighting have different colour temp...

so based on the colour temperature read off the white card, the camera adjust itself...

Ah. this is the part..... how does the camera know how to adjust? It meters the colour reflected by the white card, then it decides on the colour temperature? So do u know what the temperature is then from the camera? Or is it all internal and u can't telll what the colour temp is? This will affect the white balance that u choose right?

TME said:
Ah. this is the part..... how does the camera know how to adjust? It meters the colour reflected by the white card, then it decides on the colour temperature? So do u know what the temperature is then from the camera? Or is it all internal and u can't telll what the colour temp is? This will affect the white balance that u choose right?

ok..
the camera knows how to adjust
and it meters the colour from the card.
and it decides the color temp.
BUT it does not tell you the color temp.
and it IS all internal.
and YES, it will BE the white balance chosen...not AFFECT...

hope i have helped you in your understanding...
why not just look and an online manual of a D100 and it may further excite you in this compilcated area of color temperature...
cheers

showtime said:
ok..
the camera knows how to adjust
and it meters the colour from the card.
and it decides the color temp.
BUT it does not tell you the color temp.
and it IS all internal.
and YES, it will BE the white balance chosen...not AFFECT...

hope i have helped you in your understanding...
why not just look and an online manual of a D100 and it may further excite you in this compilcated area of color temperature...
cheers

Thanks! So is this what is know at AUTO WB?

TME said:
Thanks! So is this what is know at AUTO WB?

oh no no...
oh dear i am confusing you...
auto white balance is just set the camera and shoot...
the colour temp is not calibrated off a white card...
and the white balance will vary from shot to shot.

the one im refering to is a preset user white balance...
and once this is set, if the photographer were to move to another spot with a different color temp, the whole procedure will have to be repeated... the white card and all...
so its troublesome but really accurate.

auto white balance all digi cam have....
preset white balance only DSLR have it think...
i do not know about the prosumers...
anyone who has used it please share experience.

showtime said:
oh no no...
oh dear i am confusing you...
auto white balance is just set the camera and shoot...
the colour temp is not calibrated off a white card...
and the white balance will vary from shot to shot.

the one im refering to is a preset user white balance...
and once this is set, if the photographer were to move to another spot with a different color temp, the whole procedure will have to be repeated... the white card and all...
so its troublesome but really accurate.

Oh u mean at each shot u want to take u have to first meter the colour temperature? But if u are shooting in the same environment, like in a restaurant or in a building, then the colour temperature range should not vary significantly if the lighting is the same........ eg. a hall with tungsten bulbs?

So does auto WB mean that the camera decides for u what the colour temperature is when u take a shot without u having to meter a white card each time is it?

Sorry hor...... I never use digicam before... still waiting for Minolta to launch their DSLR....... :D

of course if you dont move place and the lighting is the same then can stay with the settings lah...

but any slight change in lighting, then to be more accurate, do the metering again...

yes auto wb does it automatically without the use of a white card metering... but its not so accurate...

one will only know and experience these finer nuances if one has experience with a digital...

its like how you need fiilters to correct the wrong colour cast when using daylight film in non daylight colour temperatures...

this is the digital corollary...

showtime said:
of course if you dont move place and the lighting is the same then can stay with the settings lah...

but any slight change in lighting, then to be more accurate, do the metering again...

yes auto wb does it automatically without the use of a white card metering... but its not so accurate...

one will only know and experience these finer nuances if one has experience with a digital...

its like how you need fiilters to correct the wrong colour cast when using daylight film in non daylight colour temperatures...

this is the digital corollary...

Wahh.. so cheem...... sighz.......

Status
Not open for further replies.