gnd filter qns

Couldn't have said it better.

@ts, if the book is trying to tell you to "buy some pro gears, else cannot shoot", time to ditch that book.

Particularly if the book or video (or other type of resource) is telling you to buy a light meter to shoot outdoors :bsmilie:

I came across a Youtube channel where every video was about using a light meter to shoot landscapes

Hi SilverPine, dont know you are master in sunrise/sunset, haha... i love those photos, very nice! I will focus on the first 100 first

One more thing to add, in my Beautiful Sunset Today, from pic#1 to pic#111 I was using Tian-Ya GND filters, sometime due to strong sun light, I stack two 3 f/stop GND filter. From pic#112 to pic#200 and current, I was using Hitech GND most of the time, with a few time Lee filter. Anyway, if you shoot multiple exposure and pp using editing software, which also able to achieve the GND result but it just take time to pp that all. :)

Can you share which book this is? Curious to know about this 'money spending guide' that would only make the shop owners happier and your wallet a fair bit lighter - without having much effect on your pictures.

hi Octarine, sure, one of the book i borrow from library: photo inspiration secrets behind stunning images
in fact, none of the books i browse focus only on kit lens.

One more thing to add, in my [http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083824&page=25"] Beautiful Sunset Today, from pic#1 to pic#111 I was using Tian-Ya GND filters, sometime due to strong sun light, I stack two 3 f/stop GND filter. From pic#112 to pic#200 and current, I was using Hitech GND most of the time, with a few time Lee filter. Anyway, if you shoot multiple exposure and pp using editing software, which also able to achieve the GND result but it just take time to pp that all. :)

thanks, you also earlier mention tainya filter is cheaper, I think I’ll start with this filter .
sorry again i have to remove your link if not i'm not allow to post.

No offend but you are right now like a young child let lose inside a toy store. So excited, to be inside that store, you want to buy to any and everything that looks cool and sophisticated.

From what you wrote, I am almost certain you have no idea about basic photography and it's fundamental including know everything about what your gear are capable of and you are already eyeing more gear. the fact that you think you need a GN filter just to shoot sunset or sunrise tells me you need to step back and take a few months of playing with your present gear to really find out what you can or can't do with existing gear.

Just watching a few videos is not going to teach you enough. Keep looking for more video, type in keyword that will show you what lens aperture are about, what Pro use and why and what your camera can do, how light works as it gets into your camera, why people want to use a GN filter or ND filter or any filter at all for that matter.

I have shot many sunset/sunrise without even one and if i use it, I have a reason for it. But do you know why I do it? If you already have a budget that does not allow you to buy a reasonably good filter and instead of thinking further ahead if you need to get a bigger one in case you change lens or have more lens so you want a circular one of a square glass.. you never ask all those.

So with limited budget and is long term situation where you have limited money to invest in new hobby purchase then you should try to learn to maximize the use of your existing gear FIRST. And not try to buy more of this and that just because you see someone or video using it or "highly" recommend it. KNOW YOUR OWN ABILITY FIRST before you upgrade. Go read, watch and practice using your gear for a few more month before you whip out your wallet to buy more gear and collect dust. The best gear you can buy to take great photos is just a few inches behind the camera's viewfinder.

This is tough love speaking and for your own good.

thanks sammy888 for your advice; i'm learning the basic at the same time, i purchased a dummies book for my camera and been reading it since. the rest of the books i borrowed from library as it's free!

Particularly if the book or video (or other type of resource) is telling you to buy a light meter to shoot outdoors :bsmilie:

I came across a Youtube channel where every video was about using a light meter to shoot landscapes

yes, i come across; i spend an entire afternoon today in the library and some of the books did mention using meter.

TS, we have a newbie's guide to filters in the stickies section.

Also, learn the basics of exposure first and how to compose your scenes. Try reading some articles in the stickies section.

In the meantime shoot more. Without filters you can still shoot landscapes.

yes, i come across; i spend an entire afternoon today in the library and some of the books did mention using meter.
you don't really need a hand held light meter, your camera already have a built in light (exposure) meter, just learn how it works and how to use it effectively.

hand held meter it won't give you a better reading if you don't know how to use it properly, but if you insist, can try download a light meter app into your smart phone and try it out.

Hi sammy888, no problen yes i am new to photography as i just buy a new dslr ( really cheap, on discount at expo; havnt really use already regret) because all the 3 basic landscape photography books i borrow from library write about using gear i do not have and i cant continue as i cannot set accordingly.

Something like f2.8 with some filter etc, thats why i start asking but i dont to spend so much first.
For landscape, u don't need a fast lens. U need high depth of field to cover most of the field in focus. Hence, assuming u r using APS-C sensor, avoid using aperture less than f/16 to prevent diffraction. Each lens has its own sweet spot and u need to find out too. U don't need GND filter, just shoot in raw and use the software to apply GND filter.

For landscape, u don't need a fast lens. U need high depth of field to cover most of the field in focus. Hence, assuming u r using APS-C sensor, avoid using aperture less than f/16 to prevent diffraction. Each lens has its own sweet spot and u need to find out too. U don't need GND filter, just shoot in raw and use the software to apply GND filter.

Thanks, I understand your point; however just curious, how come those photography book's I come across and some of the images in this form, they state f2.8 especially for sunset/sunrise, thanks in advance.

Thanks, I understand your point; however just curious, how come those photography book's I come across and some of the images in this form, they state f2.8 especially for sunset/sunrise, thanks in advance.
Please give us title and author, snap a pic of the site / paragraph.

Speaking of books id recommend digital photography school's loving and living landscapes. 2 awesome ebooks that teaches you a lot on post processing and composition techniques. Got it at a 70% disc xD

Last edited:

Wait. I thought people use f2.8 solely for astrophotography? And lightmeter? I Just use my camera's build in histogram

Last edited:

Yes please show us which book so we can go burn it.

And regarding light meters.. They are used to measure light that's hitting the subject hence usually used on people for portraits, if you shoot landscape u wanna trek to the mountain you are shooting and get a reading there then come all the way back to original position to shoot?

Our cameras measure light from the reflections off the subject so we don't need to go to the subject to measure with a light meter, of the two light meter is more accurate but it is impractical for landscape photography.