glide cams (STABILIZERS)

BESTFOTO

Jul 16, 2007
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Do anyone know this merlin glide cam for video camcorders..where to view or buy...for better picture effects. And to avoid shaky video....thanks

Do anyone know this merlin glide cam for video camcorders..where to view or buy...for better picture effects. And to avoid shaky video....thanks

Cathay Photo sell the Merlin Steadicam. Glidecam is different brand, not sure who is selling it.

Note that these are most suitable for making smooth moving camera shots, they are not so good for preventing shaky video with static camera. A tripod is still the best for that.

There are 2 agents for Glide cam in Singapore. Go to the Glidecam website & look for the Singapore distributor.

You should also check out the blackbird which is also available in Cathay photo. I have a Glidecam Smoothshooter- earlier version . The earlier version Glidecam 2000 & 4000 is really crappy & they have since fixed some of the issues which better design for the weights, etc. But the biggest issue is that the handle is not at the axis so your hands get tired out very fast.
The Merlin & Blackbird handle is right at the axis & that makes a big difference. The merlin is got the brand but its over priced.

i just bought the Blackbird & I modified my existing Glidecam smoothshooter arm so now it can carry the blackbird. Its a much better setup

Contact Camwerkz, they have the merlin for rental. give it try before buying into it. Steadicam operating requires practice, practice, practice.
Generally Steadicam with vests are better but cost more to buy initially but you save yourself from getting tired easily.

cheers

I think it depends on how heavy is your setup. Glidecam HD-2000 and HD-4000 Series are pretty good. Maybe you can check with Expandore on Glidecam. I tried the Glidecam at BCA 2010, pretty impressive stuff. But check how heavy is your overall setup will be before deciding which to get.

One point to note is that, although you are able to sustain longer by having the Center of Gravity (CG) directly above your hand in the case of the Merlin and Blackbird, for the same reason, the inevitable up-down bumping motions when you walk will also easily translate to vertical bumping of your camera too.

The offset handle of the Glidecams is very accommodating in this aspect. But you better have a strong wrist.

I've got both Merlin and Glidecam and tried the Blackbird too. I can run with the Glidecam and produce stable shots, but I can never run with the Merlin or Blackbird (the video will have very visible vertical bumps thru out, unless your hand maintains constant height all the time).

However, I'll still recommend the Merlin if you are trying out a stabilizer for the 1st time. You'll enjoy it more since you'll be able to "fly" with it for longer durations. Glidecams will turn you off right away when you can't withstand the pain in your arm. Have fun.

Glidecam = Expandore
Merlin + Blackbird = Cathay

I use all 3. Each has its advantages. If u r using a conventional camcorder i recommend Merlin. Its the lightest and relatively easy to operate (if u can balance it correctly).

For DSLR use, blackbird or Glidecam would be a better choice.

The cg above your hand gives u more stability and ease of control compared to the yoke method (glidecam). The latter requires a lot of wrist power hence Steadicam only makes their bigger rigs to work with a complete vest. if you have a strong wrist Glidecam can achieve some fancy shots that the other 2 have a harder time to execute. However if you are a newbie, blackbird is the easiest to get usable shots.

Below is a video I did with Blackbird. This was my 2nd practice but take note that I have been operating stabilizers for a few years. Goodluck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XugkDEyupE

Hi,
Are u interested in shoulder mount devices for video footages.If so, Iam selling my Brand new Genus-Shoulder Mounting device .
Contact -82670901/Hari