Gitzo Carbon fiber Tripod

Reno said:
Those heat shrink rubber you mean? think before but if your tripod is exposed to rain often, if the water managed to slip in, inside may grow mold... like our spectacles. It would be even harder to clean... so i just gaffer it... ;)

True also. But gaffer is not water proof as well. But you can just replace the gaffer.

I have a Gitzo GT2531EX explorer carbon fiber tripod which just developed the smell described above! This last week the airline lost my bag containing it, and sent it to mexico for a week before I got it back on the last day of my week trip (it never leaves my side again!). When I unpacked it I noticed that the internal leg segments have a strong, fruity, burnt plastic, smell, where it certainly did NOT have this smell beforehand. I wiped them down and a white paper towel picked up a lot of black / gray crap. The smell is still there, although I have yet to wipe down with alcohol. I'm guessing it is somehow related to the exposure to unpressurized baggage holds, or possibly to extremely low temperatures (aircraft baggage hold at 30,000 feet), or extremely high temperatures (mexico for a week, who knows where/how they stored my bag).

I imagine this is outgassing, or other leaching, from the epoxy out of which the carbon fiber is made. Has anyone successfully cleansed this stink from the tripod? Most of all I am concerned with developing a contact allergy, since epoxy residues can be quite toxic and irritant. I hope it can be cleansed, since I LOVE this tripod and want to carry it everywhere with me, but a strong chemical scent and concern for what I'm getting on my hands will significantly damp my enthusiasm for this $530 tripod...

~Gordon

Mine hasn't developed any smell whatsoever.

One alternative for those with the smell, spray some deorderant onto it. There is one for Fabric ordour remover which you can get from supermarkets in SG: this seemed to work for weird smells.

Mine hasn't developed any smell whatsoever.

One alternative for those with the smell, spray some deorderant onto it. There is one for Fabric ordour remover which you can get from supermarkets in SG: this seemed to work for weird smells.

Frebreeze

I'm guessing it is somehow related to the exposure to unpressurized baggage holds, or possibly to extremely low temperatures (aircraft baggage hold at 30,000 feet)...
Cargo hold on commercial airliners are climate / environmental controlled but may not be heated till a comfort level for humans and pressurised.

The floor beams of the main passenger deck are not designed to withstand much pressure difference between these compartments and the main passenger deck will collapse into the cargo hold without blow-out panels, dodo vents and relief valves in place if the difference in PSI exceeded operational limits (happened before).

Last edited: