Colourful Rails

colourfulrails.jpg

Windows

windowswv.jpg

Angel watching over you

angelswings.jpg

Angel watching over you

angelswings.jpg

Hmm.. just my personal opinion, but I find the angel is placed in a too centred position, with no particular reason for doing so. Rule of thirds might help. If there's no reason to break it, that should remain. Being a stationary object, there's no rush to take this; take your time to think through. It helps to get into the habit so that when you are rushed, you will automatically do what is naturally correct also.

Hmm.. just my personal opinion, but I find the angel is placed in a too centred position, with no particular reason for doing so. Rule of thirds might help. If there's no reason to break it, that should remain. Being a stationary object, there's no rush to take this; take your time to think through. It helps to get into the habit so that when you are rushed, you will automatically do what is naturally correct also.

Yes, i agree, looking at my recent photos there is a tendency to put my subject in the middle of the frame. For the angel above, it was the result of cropping out the negative space to the left which was just a blank wall and i sort of looked at the result and thought the two squares, window and doorway on the left and right sort of balanced out the central placement of the angel. I'll put up the original picture to compare between the central and side placement.

Angel by the side

angelside.jpg

Maybe should try to stop being a photoshopographer for a while :)
Shoot without thinking "I can photoshop that later" but rather, "how will it look if I post without processing"

When I get into this mode, I will go out with a 50mm prime lens and do an exercise in composition with just zoom-by-legs.

Maybe should try to stop being a photoshopographer for a while :)
Shoot without thinking "I can photoshop that later" but rather, "how will it look if I post without processing"

When I get into this mode, I will go out with a 50mm prime lens and do an exercise in composition with just zoom-by-legs.

LOL! That's a new term for me. :bsmilie:

I like a wider perspective with my 35mm or the 24mm of my LX3 and as you say, zoom with my feet. It certainly trains the eye to familiarize with the lens' pov.

You free to revisit Bedok Reservoir next month?

I like a wider perspective with my 35mm or the 24mm of my LX3 and as you say, zoom with my feet. It certainly trains the eye to familiarize with the lens' pov.

Basically used to describe people like me, who after discovering Photoshop, start to use it to cover basic photography mistakes. We start doing things like weird cropping (I still do), high contrast, B&W conversions, and various other things, just to salvage a photo that couldn't.

There's nothing wrong with Photoshop. We should be using these tools to make our picture better, but when we start using it to cover basic problems in most of our photos, then it's basically limiting how we behave as photographers... thus we become photoshopographers.

The Angel photo is one of these photos. Why take a picture that had a large wall of unusable photo space? Did you have in mind something else when you took it that way. Coz if I did that, I would know my end result would probably be a square crop and I was going to edit it to be that way anyway But if I didn't then it's not planned and then these is not a photo which cannot be extended to the left (I am assuming left) which can be resolved by moving oneself to the right and shooting from there instead.

Sorry, my schedule until after October is pretty tied up as I am in the midst of both renovation and marriage preparations. Will generally turn up last min for outings if I have free time but trying not to commit to anything.

Last edited:

Hey ur photos here taken by LX3?

Basically used to describe people like me, who after discovering Photoshop, start to use it to cover basic photography mistakes. We start doing things like weird cropping (I still do), high contrast, B&W conversions, and various other things, just to salvage a photo that couldn't.

There's nothing wrong with Photoshop. We should be using these tools to make our picture better, but when we start using it to cover basic problems in most of our photos, then it's basically limiting how we behave as photographers... thus we become photoshopographers.

Wow, wildcat you are one disciplined photographer! No wonder your skill level has improved so much in such a short span of time. :thumbsup: No doubt Kit must have also had some influence (Been wanting to join his outing but can never get lucky enough to book a slot). I've been at this on and off for over a decade and just now only learning to PP.

Sorry, my schedule until after October is pretty tied up as I am in the midst of both renovation and marriage preparations. Will generally turn up last min for outings if I have free time but trying not to commit to anything.

AH! No wonder. I remember reading something like that in one of your replies to DD123... was thinking whether something had occurred to trigger your sudden withdrawal from the group outings. Anyway, congrats on your wedding and starting a new chapter in your life. ;)

Tiring Climb

tiringclimb.jpg

Shawl Lady

shawllady.jpg

Golf

golfp.jpg

Scenic Shooter

scenic1.jpg

Whitehouse

whitehouse.jpg

Ghost Whisperer

dsc4970.jpg