Getting the right Editing Monitor

Deedeeyaw

Dec 23, 2015
Serangoon
Hi everyone,

I was just doing some research on the refresh rates solely for editing and in general I found that getting a monitor with at least 60Hz with be sufficient for post production video editing. So now there are options like the prism+ 55"4K TV that has 60Hz and IPS Display. I also know that there are other TVs with the same capability. There are also other 4K monitor (monitor only) that has a higher refresh rates and with the same IPS display but its like 27" and the price point is about the same.

I do not do gaming at all. I need some advise.

to go with the Prism+ or similar
or
to get a monitor?

Two school of thoughts about monitors: Editing for the producer in the backseat or editing for a general audience.
If you primarily need the sign-off from the person breathing down your neck, get a proper color-grading monitor with HDSDI input. This will give you the leeway to properly calibrate the monitor according to color space, room ambient light, your producer's color blindness etc.
If editing for a specific audience segment, use a monitor that a large swarth of that audience will use. For TV audiences, use a TV, for a web audience, use an iphone. :)