Getting lenses with overlapping focal lengths...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
As we all know, different focal lengths have their own unique perspectives. Just kinda wondering how many of u, when first starting out, got lenses that had overlapping focal lengths or do u prefer ur new lens not to have overlapping focal lengths?

first two zoom lenses i got are 18-50 and 70-200. no overlapping.

i have lenses with overlapping focal lengths, but the uses i 'assign' them don't overlap :)

when i 1st started out.. i tried to get as little overlap as possible, ie. ef-s 17-85mm is usm and ef 70-300mm is usm.. but i realised that it's actually good to have overlap, it forces you to rethink about the composition in order not to change lens so often, especially on holidays.. so i have to ask myself, does changing to a wider or more tele lens really going to get me a better composition.. if not, i will just compose using whatever lens is on the body.. sometimes it just takes a 2nd thought to make a good picture, great :) now i bring ef 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200L.. the 24-105L is usually mounted, until i find a need for one of the other..

As we all know, different focal lengths have their own unique perspectives. Just kinda wondering how many of u, when first starting out, got lenses that had overlapping focal lengths or do u prefer ur new lens not to have overlapping focal lengths?

For me, in general, there's 2 school of thoughts.
Getting the shot or getting only good shots.

People belonging to the 1st school, like me :) , will have a General Purpose lens with a few purpose oriented ones. Obviously, this tends to overlap. I have a 18-200 as the GPMG, but its not stopping me from getting a 70-200 whose purpose is of course for quality. GP lenses are great for getting the shot but not necessary the quality. It depends on your tolerance for the quality (color, sharpness, bokeh etc)

People in the 2nd school, almost have no focal overlaps. They tend to have more primes or have the tendency to move to that. I find that due to the focal restriction, people are forced to improve their composition (and stamina from running around, heh). Hence, they are more focused and excel in their favoured range.

Hmm.. I'm moving towards primes.. and i'm most proficient currently with my 105 sigma on the 7D. Zooms are great for event coverage and stuff but for my personal work i prefer primes.

Currently there's little to no overlap in my range.

Cheers =)
QX

For me, in general, there's 2 school of thoughts.
Getting the shot or getting only good shots.

People belonging to the 1st school, like me :) , will have a General Purpose lens with a few purpose oriented ones. Obviously, this tends to overlap. I have a 18-200 as the GPMG, but its not stopping me from getting a 70-200 whose purpose is of course for quality. GP lenses are great for getting the shot but not necessary the quality. It depends on your tolerance for the quality (color, sharpness, bokeh etc)

People in the 2nd school, almost have no focal overlaps. They tend to have more primes or have the tendency to move to that. I find that due to the focal restriction, people are forced to improve their composition (and stamina from running around, heh). Hence, they are more focused and excel in their favoured range.

I second this.. I think, myself also, ppl will move towards the second group as their experience and expectations are getting higher.

Overall it will depends on what they are shooting... Photogs can't survive with just the primes in their bag. I have lenses with overlapping focal range.

Status
Not open for further replies.