Getting earphones repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadends

Mar 17, 2008
Singapore
I know this isn't photography related, but I wondered if any techies might be able to help me on this.

Yet another pair of earphones has broken and I'm tired of buying new ones every few months. This pair cost me about 70 bucks so it seems such a waste to have to throw them away. As usual, the problem is down near the jack (standard 35mm ipod type). The wire has been bent and obviously one of the wires inside has frayed. As a result only one earphone works.

This time I decided to cut it open and see if I could solder it myself. Inside are 4 wires, each the thickness of about 1 millionth the width of a human hair. One is red, one is green and two are coppery.

I burned the plastic coating off the end of each, twisted them together and soldered the connections. Unfortunately unless I wriggled them around into a certain position, the earphones still didn't work. It seems the bad connection is right inside the jack itself, which I can't get to.

Does anyone know if there's a place I can get them repaired in Singapore? This frayed wire issue drives me nuts. Thanks in advance!

I know this isn't photography related, but I wondered if any techies might be able to help me on this.

Yet another pair of earphones has broken and I'm tired of buying new ones every few months. This pair cost me about 70 bucks so it seems such a waste to have to throw them away. As usual, the problem is down near the jack (standard 35mm ipod type). The wire has been bent and obviously one of the wires inside has frayed. As a result only one earphone works.

This time I decided to cut it open and see if I could solder it myself. Inside are 4 wires, each the thickness of about 1 millionth the width of a human hair. One is red, one is green and two are coppery.

I burned the plastic coating off the end of each, twisted them together and soldered the connections. Unfortunately unless I wriggled them around into a certain position, the earphones still didn't work. It seems the bad connection is right inside the jack itself, which I can't get to.

Does anyone know if there's a place I can get them repaired in Singapore? This frayed wire issue drives me nuts. Thanks in advance!

Wrong forum. Join http://www.jaben.net/forums/

You can try S P A C E at the basement of Sim Lim Tower. Bought 3.5 mm mini jacks from them years ago to make shutter cable for motor drive but don't know if they have stereo ones.

what brand are your earphones?
Does it come with warranty?
Most headphones that I purchase comes with warrenty in case of any malfunctions I'll bring it down to the warranty centre to fix again

its generally not practical to repair earphones because its so small and fiddly....if its under warranty they will normally just replace the pair...if the pair you buy keep breaking then its probably a better option to find and invest in a different model....try the sennheiser (spelling?) cx300 they're a very good set of earphones and costs $129...sure its slightly more expensive but they should last longer and provide better quality (should do anyways).

btw what earphones have you got?

TS might also want to review the way he keeps his earphones.

do you usually keep your earphones coiled around the mp3 player when not in use? this might be the cause of the bent wire near the jack.
how do you pull out the earphone from the mp3 jack? do you pull the wire or hold the whole jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.