Getting a new digital camera for travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow first time i hear Ricoh being recommended...

anyway, i, too, recommend F30. just sell ur SD cards and get a xD

so many recommand fuji, i consider it. is there a anti shake in F30? How able casio exilim? Good? Thanks

How abt Ricoh Caplio R5 ? List price $699. Street price $580.

That a brand i never come across. Maybe hav to investigate on it too. Dun know if it support good or not. Think if buy a cam also hope the support is good in case the cam got damage can send for repair.

thanks. Btw i dun know anything abt noise. When will it affect my photo? How it affect the photo?

fuji F40...it uses SD...yes, Fuji has wisened up :)

Wah! so many make/models for him to choose from, his head's gona spin like crazy liao.

I'll try to give you a simple check list to follow plus some other equipment you might want to take note of.

1) Pixel count : Anything about 4megapix and above is more than fine; don't get swayed by huge pixel count cameras; they don't matter - really.
2) (zoom) Lens : It doesn't matter how long a lens you can find, but the wider you can get, the better - bigger landscape & closer group shots. Like wat Ortgea mentioned, 28mm or less (very difficult to find in pns cameras) is highly recommended.
3) Battery: Try your best to find something that allows you to use AA or AAA Alkali batteries but bring along rechargables (a couple of sets at least if you plan to take a lot of picts)! Reason is while shooting, you find your batteries exhausted, you can just go buy some easily obtainable Alkali till you can go back & recharge those batteries.
4) Memory card : Doesn't matter which type of memory card your camera uses, just make sure you have at least 2 - 1st in use and 2nd for standby. Also memory cards prices have dropped like crazy; buy the highest capacity your camera can use.
5) Anti-shake (or equivalent) : This technology is so common these days, having this function would be a blessing when taking very far away shots as the futher you see, a tiny shake while holding the camera equals a big movement at the len's end.
6) Optical Zoom vs Digital Zoom : Try only to use optical zoom. Digital zoom is artifical and causes quality loss on your picts.
7) Auto flash : Only choose flash that's fully automatic; Not one of those that require you to manually activate it.

If you're gona be away for a long period and you're not planning to bring a computer nor have access to one; you might want to consider a portable media storage device. Or if you have a huge capacity iPod (color display minimum), go buy the camera dock to store your picts into the iPod's hd.
Shooting in very low light/total darkness will be the weakest feature of any pns cameras cos they have very small /weak flash. Be prepared for disappointment.
Read your manual & familiarise yourself with the camera/equipment long before your trip; Failure to do so will make you fumble when you need it most.
Minimize the use of your LCD; don't bother with deleting bad shots (you have a spare card remember?). The largest drain on your battery would be the LCD screen; and the bigger it is, the faster it drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.