Get one polar filter or two??

VIOS175

Mar 2, 2008
Blk 936 Hougang St 92
Hi, can i chk if you guys have two 58mm lens, usually purchase 2 filters or one ? which can interchange to save cost ? which is prefrable?

Thnks.

if it's CPL, then get one is suffice...if UV, then get 2

Hi, can i chk if you guys have two 58mm lens, usually purchase 2 filters or one ? which can interchange to save cost ? which is prefrable?

Why would you purchase two identical filters of a type that is usually used only for special purposes? Nobody in his proper state of mind puts on CPL as permanent filter.
Get one CPL, it's meant to be put on only when needed. Remove all UV filters (if it's a cheap one, better throw it away) and don't stack filters. If you have lenses with different front thread (maybe later?) get a big CPL and some step-up rings (~$10 per piece) so that one CPL filter can be used on all lenses. Makes sense already with more than 2 lenses, check the price difference between 58mm and 77mm.

if same size, i would think u just need one . ( u dun need a pol filter to be permanently fixed on the lenses, polarisers are for the occassional use when the need arises )
I got a 77mm thread and a 55mm thread CPL ( circular polariser ) , any other sizes in betw i use adapters to adapt the 77mm.

ryan

Last edited:
watch out for the buy/sell section for offers loh. i got my cpls from the forum too : )

Why would you purchase two identical filters of a type that is usually used only for special purposes? Nobody in his proper state of mind puts on CPL as permanent filter.
Get one CPL, it's meant to be put on only when needed. Remove all UV filters (if it's a cheap one, better throw it away) and don't stack filters. If you have lenses with different front thread (maybe later?) get a big CPL and some step-up rings (~$10 per piece) so that one CPL filter can be used on all lenses. Makes sense already with more than 2 lenses, check the price difference between 58mm and 77mm.

thanks for your advice, btw any link the adataper for use 77mm fliters for 58mm lens, abit confuse :think:

I think polariser , more advisable to get 1 to save costs . Because is not like you are gonna use it everytime . And like others said if its UV then get each . UV filter is basically to protect your lens .

TS got money to "burn" lah. Just let him burn loh... It will help out the economy a bit and maybe will benefit someone in the BnS sometime in the future.... ;)

My guess is that shops keep using CPL as the miracle one stop solution to take good photos in not so ideal environments.

for SG, might want to look for a haze filter rather then uv filter.

My guess is that shops keep using CPL as the miracle one stop solution to take good photos in not so ideal environments.

for SG, might want to look for a haze filter rather then uv filter.

and.. pray tell... what does a haze filter do?

and.. pray tell... what does a haze filter do?
23714.jpg

more info here http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/uv_haze_skylight/uv_haze_skylight_filters1.html

Last edited:
you do realize that digital camera sensors are almost non-sensitive to UV light, so a 'haze' filter is pretty useless, right?

or did you think a haze filter would penetrate through Singapore's 'smog'....?
In that case I've found the magic filter to photograph Hongkong and Shenzhen with! :)

Yep, and there we can read:
However, a not so spread fact is that most modern color films -both slide and negative- and digital camera sensors are almost or not at all sensitive to UV light today, as pointed out by Nikonian Len Shepherd and later confirmed through exhaustive exhausting research.
CPL here works much better by filtering the stray light, the main source of the hazy effect on images. But in contrast to a pure wavelength filter like UV (which cuts out a spectrum that is irrelevant to modern sensors) the CPL filters works across visible light spectrum.

you do realize that digital camera sensors are almost non-sensitive to UV light, so a 'haze' filter is pretty useless, right?

In that case I've found the magic filter to photograph Hongkong and Shenzhen with! :)
Yes i do.

Yep, and there we can read:

CPL here works much better by filtering the stray light, the main source of the hazy effect on images. But in contrast to a pure wavelength filter like UV (which cuts out a spectrum that is irrelevant to modern sensors) the CPL filters works across visible light spectrum.
You are right on that. Thing is...just how almost is almost. Since more or less such filters have taken on the role of protecting the front lens element, and prices are somewhat similar...doesnt really hurt to get said filter if simply for the word "almost".

Last edited:
:mad2:

the HAZE term in the filter denotation is referring to a blue haze caused by UV light being picked up by film.

I was refuting your point about HAZE filter being more appropriate for Singapore, as though implying that you can reduce the haziness with the use of this filter. Singapore's haze is formed by particles suspended in the air, not UV light....

That's why I only use "clear" filters rather than UV filter. Even camera shop owner advise the same :dunno:

I didn't test this much (especially since I got rid of my UV filter quite early in my shooting days) but I find UV filters can cause "ghosting" under some indoor lighting conditions with moving objects :dunno: not sure if anyone else has this experience.