Geotagging with Nikon cameras

rnb65p

May 5, 2009
USA
OK. We know there is the GP-1 that works on Nikon DSLRs. One problem with the GP-1 is in China. I was looking back at some Geotagged pictures and noticed that the coordinates are all off.

An article earlier in the year confirms that GPS data in China is off.

Why do Panasonic, Leica, FujiFilm, Samsung and Nikon censor their GPS cameras? | Ogle Earth

So the question to ask all of you, is anybody using other GPS (Solmeta, etc) that provides accurate geotagging? Not interested in going back with a GPS key logger.

Used the older Solmeta, not the latest one with the LCD screen. Issue I had was that the cable keep coming loose. Using the Dawntech one and am very happy with the unit. Does not need it's own battery, but draws it from the camera.

I am actually using MC-35 with my Garmin GPS. So far quite accurate.
But you need to understand the accuracy of GPS, they can be off by a few hundred meters at times.

GPS is paid by the US taxpayers and the civilian GPS signal is less accurate compared to the military.

Unless there are GPS jammer, the coordinates will be off a few hundred metres.

The article link posted is full of inaccuracy.

GPS is such a pain. I tried several times using various means. Always so difficult to get a satellite lock on. For example, my Canon S100 suppose to have built in GPS. To date, never really successfully locked on anywhere. Same with my GPS unit for my old D90.

I used an app call GeotagPhotos on my iPhone. Set to synchronize every 5 minutes and I am very pleased with the results. Locking on to GPS satellite is fast, route is accurate (not pinpoint accurate though).

Track from 9am to 10pm and I still have 40% battery left. This is without 3G turned on.

Reach home export the coordinates using iTunes and map my files in Lightroom, snappy!