GeoTag device

sanfong

Dec 4, 2007
Hi.

I will be going to Europe in Sept and I'm looking for solution to tag location to my photos.

I read the reviews from Amazon about this device, there were some bad reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FSQOI4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A110MBRL8XO94E

But unfortunately it cannot be shipped to Singapore. Where can I get this? What's your view if you have this?

I also look at one of the Android app called Geotag Photos Pro.

Anyone used this before? Does it drained the battery fast?

Any alternative to recommend? Thanks.

Last edited:
There is gps4cam - the geotag app for iPhone. | The app that brings geotagging to every camera! which I've used in my last trip in Japan. At its standard settings it seems to be accurate up to 1 or 2 blocks only. But you can finetune the settings at the expense of battery life.

Adding the geotags to your photos is also quite straightforward if you only use 1 camera.

I'm pretty sure they have an Android version for it. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Your Amazon link doesn't work, so I dunno what that is, but I use a Holux m-241 for my geotagging (which incidentally, I bought it from Amazon).
Worked fine. Just had to make sure the device time and all my cameras time are in sync. Then use s/w back home to geotag all the photos.

I use geotag apps on my iPhone. I was in the same shoes as you but I decided to get apps instead.

Battery life took a hit on my iPhone but at least I don't have to carry 2 devices, don't need to charge both every night, don't need to forget turning on my GPS.

I do carry a spare power source in my bag.

I use Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger. Bought from Semsons some time back. You may wanna google for discount voucher / voucher code to save up (that's what I did last time).

Then I use the free GeoSetter to geotag my images using the data log from the Amod device.

This Holux M-241 Bluetooth Data Logger GPS model is obsolete.

I have hunted for such in the past.

Buy new Holux geotag device from East Gear. Sometimes sold out.

Buy geotag device from Sim Lim Square. I think ground floor shop name is Perfect Watch. They got a good one. Qstarz BT-Q1000XT GPS Travel Recorder.

This Holux M-241 Bluetooth Data Logger GPS model is obsolete.

I have hunted for such in the past.

Buy new Holux geotag device from East Gear. Sometimes sold out.

Buy geotag device from Sim Lim Square. I think ground floor shop name is Perfect Watch. They got a good one. Qstarz BT-Q1000XT GPS Travel Recorder.
Any idea how much? I'm looking for a GPS logger too.

Hmm... I had a Qstarz BT-Q3100 datalogger before and lately it seems that the battery life was getting bad. So I ended up buying the GPS (which also does data logging as well) that connects to my cam instead. I don't have to start making sure the date/time on cam and logger is the same, trying to match the photo to the location based on the date/time, etc... So it's up to you what you want to do.

I have brought the new GPS for my trip, just have not got down to looking at the data in the GPS after I got back... Heck, I have not even started looking at my photos yet! That's how busy I got since I got back.. hahaha

Any idea how much? I'm looking for a GPS logger too.

New Holux model about $110. (old price- now I don't know)

Qstarz model about $250+ (offer price - otherwise higher)

Very fun to use at first. After a while becomes passé. Remember to synch your device time and your camera time exactly, for the software to match the times of the photos in the EXIF with the recorded GPS position, so it tags correctly. But you won't have any problem if you bring your notebook with you in your travels. Then can use the note book computer to set your GPS tracker device to country B's local time. You can then set your camera to country B's local time.

If you set the GPS travel logger device time in home country A. Then travel to another country B. Don't set your camera time to country B's time zone. Otherwise all will be out of synch, when you get back to country A and try to automatically geotag your photos.

If you travel in a MRT and it goes underground into a tunnel for a long time, the GPS cannot sense. It will pick up new GPS position later when you reappear from the underground tunnel.

Last edited: