Game Industry in SG

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterfly

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
Anyone here works in the gaming industry and working as a programmer?

How's the job like in SG? My younger brother just graduated from NUS with a degree in computing. He is currently seeking a job in the game industry and would like to know how much can he expect. Personally I don't have any experience in this. Is this industry very volatile?

Should be lower than the average IT guy since game houses here would be quite small and not really able to pay. The average IT guy makes 2.5-3k for a fresh grad.

The pay for game programmer is pretty high compare to the normal web developer or the normal programmer analyst job. I don't have the salary from Singapore but the average games programmer annual salary in USA is at US$80k so this translates to around S$112k.

The famous game university (games programming and production animation) - DigiPen University has started their Singapore branch last year and will be churning out game programmers here pretty soon.

A programming degree from NUS is definitely a start but from the anticipated supply of games programmer from DigiPen, the market might be getting more competitive. You see, students from DigiPen go through a very vigorous 4-year education to prepare them for the games industry and the normal programming degree will be no match for them. I foresee the entry requirement for games programmers will be pretty high in a couple of years so this might be the last call for the normal programmers to enter this industry.

The best place for games programmers is still in USA. More specific Redmond Washington where Microsoft (Xbox) and other major game companies have their HQs located there.

EDIT: USA salary information from: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23264

Last edited:
I believe Ubisoft and EA have offices here which are actively recruiting, but unfortunately (as CS TAN mentioned) a normal computing degree is no match to those who are specifically trained like DigiPen.

TS: your bro should try going for the nvidia-Spring SG training program (if slots still available), I think its a great program (but I don't qualify for it).

The pay for game programmer is pretty high compare to the normal web developer or the normal programmer analyst job. I don't have the salary from Singapore but the average games programmer annual salary in USA is at US$80k so this translates to around S$112k.

Hello CS TAN,

Unfortunately, the salary cannot be directly converted at the exchange rate. It's probably US$80k = S$80k. Let me explain, if you lived in the US, you will have to buy groceries, spend on transport and rent based on USD rates. So the conversion rate is moot. Same goes for European salaries and living expenses.

Z

Hi Zohan, I understand there is no direct comparison. Actually, I was replying to Zj2000 on his statement of games programmer has a lower salary than the average IT guy. I should have quoted his statement in my reply.

Last edited:
Hi Zohan, I understand there is no direct comparison. Actually, I was replying to Zj2000 on his statement of games programmer has a lower salary than the average IT guy. I should have quoted his statement in my reply.

Hello CS TAN

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Z

I am not sure if I should advise him to reconsider into going into the gaming industry as from what I heard, it can be very tough n may not pay well. I tried to do a search online on the pay scale but couldn't find anything.

I am not sure if I should advise him to reconsider into going into the gaming industry as from what I heard, it can be very tough n may not pay well. I tried to do a search online on the pay scale but couldn't find anything.

I have a friend working in the gaming industry in Singapore ... after 6 years ... his company close shop ... but he is relocating to China gaming industry.. He said, of you want to do well in this industry ... you really need passion!

Gaming industry does not pay well, especially taking into consideration the long working hours.
A ballpark figure will be to definately expect lower than average IT programmer salary, UNLESS you are the few exceptional to stand out.

It is not an industry for those who are in it for money. Classmates will be upgrading cars long before you ever buy your first car..:)

I have a friend working in the gaming industry in Singapore ... after 6 years ... his company close shop ... but he is relocating to China gaming industry.. He said, of you want to do well in this industry ... you really need passion!

That word - Passion - is very important in this industry.

Having several friends form gaming and media entertainment software industry, the pay *are* on par (and better) compare with other development sectors depending on org. However, passion is the main drive as long hours are needed . Moreover, they rarely accept fresh graduates and NUS comp science imho , do not qualify easily to the industry without any prior experience. And many new comers get burnout after a few years.

If your bro need more info and still keen, pm me as my friends looking for interested candidates over there.

If you're going into game design a degree is secondary. The employers will look at your portfolio first. Sometimes they make candidates produce a sketch or simple artwork on the spot.

A graduating student has a portfolio made up of previous class assignments. Take a look at the kind of work international students produce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZwUWiEwmBA

But afaik international companies on so-called ah gong funding do take in graduating students without portfolio, provided they have excellent grades, are dean's list material etc. Even if they can't do any real work. Probably they have some hiring kpi to fulfill for justifying further funding. :dunno::dunno:

Having several friends form gaming and media entertainment software industry, the pay *are* on par (and better) compare with other development sectors depending on org. However, passion is the main drive as long hours are needed . Moreover, they rarely accept fresh graduates and NUS comp science imho , do not qualify easily to the industry without any prior experience. And many new comers get burnout after a few years.

If your bro need more info and still keen, pm me as my friends looking for interested candidates over there.

Thanks. Have PM you. :)

I think the key word so far is "passion". I will check with him if he has enough "passion" to do it and also the possibility of low wage as compared to his fellow peers working elsewhere.

Gaming industry does not pay well, especially taking into consideration the long working hours.
A ballpark figure will be to definately expect lower than average IT programmer salary, UNLESS you are the few exceptional to stand out.

It is not an industry for those who are in it for money. Classmates will be upgrading cars long before you ever buy your first car..:)

Sounds bad. :sweat:

Game Industry is still very raw in Singapore.

SG now may have the likes of Ubisoft, EA etc and nearby Msia has Double Negative (KL I think) but to break into these well-known studio houses are pretty tough.

Now even Ubisoft has a campus with my school to train specific artists and programmers and I heard not all will be chosen to work at the end of the course too.

So yup, it's gonna be tough. But having said that, never try never know. All the best to your bro's eventual decision. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.