[ Gadget ] - Panasonic 8mm f/3.5 fisheye

I am not sure if this is what you are inquiring.
This is output from RAW without processing and not using Silkypix from Pana.

This is jpeg straight from camera without processing.
There isn't any difference in the perspectives but I think the RAW looks better. I like this lens because of its size and weight and the output from it is not bad. More photos here:

Hi pkong1008,

Thanks. I am actually looking for something like this at the following link. Some of the m4/3 lens are having some form of distortion that are being auto corrected by the processing engine of the camera.

http://www.lenstip.com/310.6-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_12_mm_f_2.0_ED_Distortion.html

Hi ITguy,
I am not a technical person but just enjoy photography as a hobby. I let the more technically inclined people here answer most of the difficult questions and I do read and learn from them. I think most, if not all m4/3 cameras correct distortions of their lenses with their in-camera softwares. Maybe you can read this:
http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/414-pana_1445_3556?start=1

I'm quite curious to know if the output from Oly cameras with Pana lenses is the same as that from Pana cameras that are specifically designed to use them. Unfortunately, I don't have any Oly cameras to test this. Hope that others who are better informed than I can help out. If there is no difference, I may try Oly one day.

Hi pkong1008,

Thanks for your input. Basically I read from a website (forgotten which one), that mentions about JPEG and RAW are manipulated (aka auto corrected) for distortion for the 12mm Olympus prime, but makes the output with less details (and also sharpness). There is only 1 or 2 software mentioned that can read the RAW without the correction. So far, none of the major websites
investigates into the difference in details for direct JPEG and none manipulated RAW output.

Perhaps I can dig out that article and show to all to make it clearer for everyone.

Interesting article. I know what you mean now. I'll post the summary of the article:

"In summary, we have found that using RawTherapee can result in crisper-looking - though not necessarily artifact-free - results at low sensitivity settings, with better detail definition and obviously more control over tonality and contrast. At medium-high ISOs, shooting raw can lead to retaining more detail and texture in the shadows, while at high ISO settings we have found little to no extra detail in the raw files. The visual appearance of noise can be quite different in JPEGs and various raw conversions, but that’s to be expected.

The story does not end here - it will definitely be interesting to see what one can do with the Olympus E-P3 raw files when Olympus, Adobe, Apple, Phase One etc. release new versions of their respective raw converters, with full support for the new camera."

A third party manual 7.5mm F3.5 fisheye lens is about to release.
hmmm.. not sure how much it will cost.

Meanwhile, I will have to make do with the fisheye converter FCON-P01 for the 14-42mm kit lens... :(

137094917.jpg

137094919.jpg

Anybody tried the Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 on the OM-D?

I can't decide between the Panny and the Samy. Reviews indicate the Panny is much softer at the corners and I also think photos exhibit less contrast than shot with the Samy. Not really sure if the AF is worth giving up the better IQ... Problem is I haven't seen any full rez footage from the Panny on the OM-D.

ageha said:
I can't decide between the Panny and the Samy. Reviews indicate the Panny is much softer at the corners and I also think photos exhibit less contrast than shot with the Samy. Not really sure if the AF is worth giving up the better IQ... Problem is I haven't seen any full rez footage from the Panny on the OM-D.

Get penny or oly FE, the oly FE can do macro, can any other FE do this?

or this?

Last edited:
dannyfoxy said:
Get penny or oly FE, the oly FE can do macro, can any other FE do this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyfoxy/5170641233/

or this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyfoxy/5210257285/

Thanks for the samples!

I thought all 3 fisheyes have a closest focusing distance of ~10cm. They all have pretty much the same focal length so I was assuming they achieve all the same maximum magnification, no?

Thanks for the samples!

I thought all 3 fisheyes have a closest focusing distance of ~10cm. They all have pretty much the same focal length so I was assuming they achieve all the same maximum magnification, no?

not really, samyang FE minimum focus distance is 20cm, panny is 10cm, Oly is 13cm.
So.. go get Panny FE lens..

ps.. for Oly FE, i tried 5-8cm the lens still able to AF :)

Last edited:
not really, samyang FE minimum focus distance is 20cm, panny is 10cm, Oly is 13cm.

More importantly, try to MF with the Samyang FE at the MFE. You'll see why that's not really a viable option.. (hint: fingers)

The technical specifications for the Samyang say the min. focus distance is 0.09m.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jepretustel/6934274477/

Last edited:
The technical specifications for the Samyang say the min. focus distance is 0.09m.

It is 0.09m (0.3ft) indicated on the lens, though i really can't think of a situation i shoot that close, even nearest portrait would be like half arms length. Personally, for macro, i would go macro lens way.