G4 i book

Status
Not open for further replies.
bigfatfish said:
wow thanks skinny latte...reading your reply was like reading a page off a PC magazine :)

Haha. I'm a switcher who became a mac evangelist (tho I still love Linux).

if you have any questions, you can PM me, I'll help you along.

bigfatfish said:
actually i am more concerned about the durability.

fujitsu which is quite a reputable brand died on me twice. first time had to replace motherboard, now after warranty expire some months ago, the computer died again.

for Mac, i was looking at the Imac g5 or the Ibook g4.

any mac users out there experienced reliability issues?
I've been using a 12" PBook G4 for the last 18 months, no hardware problem so far ... The screen is definitely much better in terms of colours & contrast compared to my old Fujitsu Lifebook, and the current Dell notebook provided by my company.

However, if u're going to just have a Mac for net surfing, there may be some sites that won't work so well, or won't be displayed properly. For me, it's a portal done for my company by an external vendor. U may have some problems with shared applications if u work at a company which is still using DOS-based programs, but I doubt there are many left :)

Last time, I used to have problems with internet banking in general. But with each update of Safari, the Mac browser, the problems get less & less.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with my Mac, the iLife applications rock! Anyway, most problems that I ever encountered were discussed and solved on the Macuser SG forum recommended by skinnylatte. They rock too :)

Cheers!

Hi guys , the current IMAC g5 on the apple website is the Revision B model right?

According to the webpage, only the OS Tiger and iLife is given, so i was wondering if the mac has any software equivalent to Excel and Words ? And roughly how much?

bigfatfish said:
Hi guys , the current IMAC g5 on the apple website is the Revision B model right?

According to the webpage, only the OS Tiger and iLife is given, so i was wondering if the mac has any software equivalent to Excel and Words ? And roughly how much?

no the current imac is Rev. C.

mac has Microsoft office for Mac, made by Microsoft. $269 for a student teacher edition. with the full works, word, powerpoint, excel, etc.

Thanks skinnylatte, :)

regarding OFFICE tools like excel and word,

what are alternatives are there for new switchers? $269 is not expensive for OFFICE but just wanted to find out if mac users have other alternatives.

Thanks skinnylatte, :)

regarding OFFICE tools like excel and word,

what are alternatives are there for new switchers? $269 is not expensive for OFFICE but just wanted to find out if mac users have other alternatives.

Read on the mac forum that there is some software - NeoOffice that can open and save as OFFICE. Not sure if it is free down load or not.

Me also new mac user. Still learning how to do many things.

OpenOffice is free for Mac too.

espn said:
OpenOffice is free for Mac too.

Thanks dreamseeker and ESPN, free sounds damn good :)

sky888 said:
I own a iBook G4.. the specs you have mention are good enough for any hobbyist photograhper.. spec wise, there is no need to go for powerbook (although they are good in their own class and for more professional use)

the only complanint I have for my 14" iBook is that it is damn heavy, when compared to my previous sony vios.. feels like over 3kg on my hands (but I could be wrong)

14" ibook only weighs 2.7kg ..

finally decided to go with the Imac G5, but have one more query.

If i decide to add 1gb of ram, what options do I have? Should i just go with apple or there are reliable 3rd party rams that would not void the warranty etc etc.

Go down to Wheellock place Apple centre and check whether they have discounts on upgrades.

Well, Macs are well known to be picky about RAMs, a wrong move can either hang your Mac totally or make it in operable. Opt for the shop you purchase from to upgrade the RAM for you.

bigfatfish said:
finally decided to go with the Imac G5, but have one more query.

If i decide to add 1gb of ram, what options do I have? Should i just go with apple or there are reliable 3rd party rams that would not void the warranty etc etc.

IMac G5 wow. :)

Go to Sim Lim Square, SGL Marketing. Cheap and good 3rd party RAM. I am using one on my PB for the last 8 months without any problem.

You might want to try Gimp (PS like app and free).
Office like application from Apple is called iWork. You can check the Apple SG site for more info and pricing. http://www.apple.com.sg

Installing third party ram does not void the warranty, despite conventional wisdom. There is a section in each manual for every mac that teaches you how to properly install RAM — as such, memory is classified under 'user installable'.

I will second alucard's suggestion of going to SGL. They have the best prices and best service, they're the folks we macheads go to (instead of apple stores), even for RAM.

espn: I wouldn't say 'picky'. More like you can't just go pick up some funny old memory lying around from your old PC, but if you got the correct thing and the correct clock speed, and it's from a reputable brand, then it's fine. Don't tell anyone but even the RAM that Apple gives you as an 'upgrade' is really a third party brand (at least at one certain flagship apple centre I know of..). But at a premium.

Have fun! Anything else you need to ask, it's probably been covered at the Mac forum.

ok last question... is the Educational Rebate only applicable to apple online store purchases?

nope u can get the educational discounts from the apple center... or diversitec if they are still the ones dealing it....

My G4 667MHz Powerbook has been running like a workhorse... =)

The best thing is, when u walk into a meeting, even before u hook it up... people go wow... hahaha... i love my mac. And it's not just for show, client wants changes you can do it on the spot as theres enuff processing power in it =) colours, accurate too!

And add your own ram! cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.