G15 v S110

highwaystar

Feb 15, 2006
Dear All ,
Am looking for a 'compact' camera for existing light street photography and travel.
Am looking at G15 and S110.

Advise plse.;)

Thanks alot

Continue looking at them, maybe one of the cameras will smile at you..? :)
There are review websites like Digital Photography Review and other, feeding Google gives you tons of data. What remains is your job of making a decision. Both can do what you ask for.

Last edited:
depends on how many dials you love to have and if you like to squeeze in your camera in your pocket.

Both are champions in their own way

Both had the same sensor, both had the same Digic V processor, so both should theoretically had similar or same image quality and menu user interface wise, both should be very much alike because both came from Canon and at the same time too.

So it boils down to which one you like best ergonomically such as size, number of dials, grip, placement of dials and wheels (if there is one), viewfinder (although I find the G15's viewfinder a joke), etc etc.

In another word... which is the one you (TS) prefer to carry around. No point any of us tell you to get one, while your heart pointed to another and you regret immediately after getting the one that we have recommended you to.

If you like a bigger camera get the G15. If you like a smaller camera get the S110.

The G15 has a 28-140 f1.8-f2.8. The S110 has a 24-120 f2-f5.9. So I would say the G15 has a better lens unless you need 24mm. If size is not an issue get the G15.

Dear All ....

Thanks you for the information.
It does help me to decide which one to pick.
Hope to have somemore input from others.

Appreciated

CHeerS

Dear All ....

Thanks you for the information.
It does help me to decide which one to pick.
Hope to have somemore input from others.

Appreciated

CHeerS

Oh... forget to add. S110 didn't have a hotshoe to mount more powerful external flash, while G15 had the provision to add a external flash. So if you need external flash option, no choice but to get the G15... or look to other brands of camera.

I am also considering this 2 camera. Too bad Canon remove the swivelling LCD :(

Hahahaa...for me. I nvr like that swivel LCD. Make the camera look like 'toy'.
Dun have that 'PRO' look with the swivel stuff. So am happy to know tis time it got no swivel LCD. Also I like the viewfinder too.
Prefer to shoot via viewfinder.

Thanks for the latest input.

ChEERs

Check out youtube DigitalRev TV where Kai and Lok did some challenges on G15 vs S110.

Saw best denki selling the S110 at 549 with free 8gb sd, mini tripod and cleaning kit.

Quite a good deal imho.

You can try both cameras at the Canon Showroom at Vivo.

If you own an SD card you can even ask for permission to put it in and take some photos with each of the cameras. You can then bring the SD card back home and view the photos on the computer screen.

It is best you go to try both camera at the showroom and see which one suits your need more as I believe these 2 cameras are pretty much similar.......

Although these two cameras have the same sensor, they have very different lens design. The S1xx series design focus on miniaturization while the G series traditionally focus on image quality. The lenses can make all the difference in the image quality.

For the G15

- Lightning Quick AF (one of the fastest for a PnS),
- Sharper Lens rendering more details due to larger lens elements.
- Faster Lens. You can use higher shutter speed - less camera shake.
- Bokeh. According to dpreview, this camera can render more bokeh at 140mm than APS-C and m43 cameras and their kit lenses. Yes this includes the G1X at its tele end.
- Better dials and controls for quick settings change.

For the S110

- Compact Pocketable design (a.k.a 'wife friendly' to some men)
- Touch screen interface can be intuitive and easy to use.
- Wifi to transfer files directly to your iOS/Android devices (in hotspot mode) without additional cables, etc.
- Wider lens at 24mm. This additional 4mm difference could mean moving quite a few meters back (eg. 5-10m) when you zoom with your own feet. That may not be possible when you are traveling and there is a cliff or fixed structures behind you. This could also mean cutting away five of your aunties in a family photo (with extremely naggy consequences). You can always crop if you fall short on the tele end but you can never post process to emulate a wider lens.
- Cheaper. This is very very important to many. At first I thought the Sony Rx100 will destroy the S110's market completely, but the price premium on the RX100 has kept the S110 quite popular.

Having a hard time trying to find the best price for G15 here ... I will post my latest purchase here

G15, 8Gb SD CARD, original brown casing @ $616 TK Fhoto

Hope it helps :)