FZ20 Vs FZ10 Noise comparison...must see

Status
Not open for further replies.
lightning69 said:
When printing large prints or submitting to stock photography, we might have to interpolate the file to bigger size and that is why i try to increase the file size from the above pictures(before unsharp mask) to twice its size . Then I crop it reduce its file size.

anyone using fz10/20 and is submitting to stock photography agencies? :dunno:

Now I'm not saying that the FZ20 is a lousy cam. All i'm saying is that the FZ10 produce btter overall picture quality.

Similar comparison problem with Sony 828 vs 717, the 828 is having much higher noise level than the 717. If that is true, could it be due to small pixel size of the new sensors in both FZ-20 and Sony 828, while trying to squeeze more pixel count into same overall sensor size.

Panasonic FZ-1 is a 2 Mega pixel cam, when Panasonic product the 4 mega pixel FZ-10, the sensor size is bigger resulted in bigger body and lens. But FZ-20 and FZ-10 are having same sensor size => FZ-20 pixel should be smaller than FZ-10.

Let's all try shooting at a lower resolution with noise reduction also on, on the FZ20. See how the pictures turn out. Same CCD, better LSI processor, noise reduction ........there's no reason why the noise level should be higher than the FZ10. Before I forget your target will be Blue Skies. OK, starting shooting..... ;)

poh6702 said:
Similar comparison problem with Sony 828 vs 717, the 828 is having much higher noise level than the 717. If that is true, could it be due to small pixel size of the new sensors in both FZ-20 and Sony 828, while trying to squeeze more pixel count into same overall sensor size.

Panasonic FZ-1 is a 2 Mega pixel cam, when Panasonic product the 4 mega pixel FZ-10, the sensor size is bigger resulted in bigger body and lens. But FZ-20 and FZ-10 are having same sensor size => FZ-20 pixel should be smaller than FZ-10.

yes, the increase in megapixels without the increase in sensor size seems to be the problem for the noise.

I have just examine some sample shot taken from the FZ15 and the are superb and there seems to be no noise at all. Too bad Pana only sell it in the US.

lightning69 said:
yes, the increase in megapixels without the increase in sensor size seems to be the problem for the noise.

I have just examine some sample shot taken from the FZ15 and the are superb and there seems to be no noise at all. Too bad Pana only sell it in the US.

If you like the FZ15, you should also be able to accept the FZ20. Just shoot in 4MP image size. Then again, Panasonic may come up with new firmware to combat the noise at 5mp. ;) .

Zenten said:
If you like the FZ15, you should also be able to accept the FZ20. Just shoot in 4MP image size. Then again, Panasonic may come up with new firmware to combat the noise at 5mp. ;) .
I do not know how to shoot in 4MP image size.
2560x1920 = 5MP and
2048x1536 = 3MP.
No intermediate setting in between. :(

ZinY said:
I do not know how to shoot in 4MP image size.
2560x1920 = 5MP and
2048x1536 = 3MP.
No intermediate setting in between. :(

Huh, you mean there is nothing in between (my ears)? Then just do your best to reduce noise. :embrass:

lightning69 said:
And these were from the FZ20...

FZ20crop1.jpg

the bad thing is the moirè effect that you can notice in that photo...
however the fz20 produce noisy photos... the fz10 is noise free at iso 50.. As said more pixels in a sensor of the same size... is surely not a good idea ;) . Noise is not a problem if you don't print big-size photo.. noise ninja or digital gem pro (kodak) helps to get a good photo also on large printing.. for sure these will be less sharp but it is acceptable because if you look @ bigger photo usually you don't keep it 10 inches from your eyes...

another thing ..
lightning69 said:
When printing large prints or submitting to stock photography, we might have to interpolate the file to bigger size ]
it's not correct.. interpolation is ok if you downsize your image.. if you plan to print larger size is better to reduce the resolution and don't interpolate. I'm sorry for my bad english :p

Status
Not open for further replies.