FZ users to dSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sil

Nov 18, 2004
ABC Market
www.sil.per.sg
Hi to all,

I am carrying a FZ20 and it has been with me for almost a year.
Took many photos with it and I would say it is a good prosumer camera. - My site >> http://sil.per.sg

I am beginning to feel limited by certain functions/features on the camera itself.
So the question comes in, should I move to a dSLR system? I feel the need of higher ISO and faster focus.

To those who own FZ5/10/20 series before, please share on why you move to dSLR and if my question is justified for me to move to dSLR.

Thanks.
SiL

got $$$ change and keep the old FZ..

no $$$ then keep and still use back the old FZ..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

think of the things u'll miss (e.g. image stabilised f/2.8 lens, compact body, etc) when u move on to a DSLR and see if it's worth it.

i moved on from a prosumer (Fujifilm S602Z - one of the fastest focussing prosumer with good ISO400 back then) and never looked back.

SiL,

If you do not mind missing the OIS, not needing to change lens, not needing to worry about fungus inside the lens, then you might want to change to DSLR.

However, by saying so, do not treat DSLR as the superb camera. In fact, it will be a real challenge for many prosumer owners to switch to DSLR, you will start to find yourself handicap, frustrated with the photos that you had taken with your DSLR.

DSLR certainly gives u a lot of room to play, especially minimum shutter lag, more responsive, better burst mode, better zoom, better battery life (one of the reason is due to the face that DSLR zoom is mechanical zoom, while prosumer zoom though is optical zoom, it is still electronic zoom, hence, consume more battery)...

Unless you are getting real serious, prosumer will probably still be a better bet for those who wants something simple, while have a certain power (OIS, 12X zoom) to go with...

k3nn3th03 said:
got $$$ change and keep the old FZ..

no $$$ then keep and still use back the old FZ..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

now keeping my FZ5 togather with a DSLR i feel it is a burden...planning to sell it and buy a smaller pocket size compact! :D
FX??? ;)

Like yourself, I too felt the FZ20 features limiting. This is part of the 'growing stages' in photography. Your camera gets limitation based on your advancing skills. It applies to dslr camera too. Upgrading is unavoidable.

Thus, I decided to change, not to a dslr(coz I am still not ready for it), but to another prosumer cam. It has all the features of a dslr except the ISO is up to 800 only.
And yes it too has image stabliser and long zoom.

View my galleries on pics taken with it.

my FZ 10 too slow and limited in function liao ... Sold it off to finance my 300D ... never looked back since ...

keep yr cam and buy the dslr too it not as bad as u thought keeping two cameras...
or sell yr fz20 and try getting the smaller fz1, 3 2nd hand and get yr dream dslr at the same time
reason that a time when a dslr is a sort of a overkill eg. parties,barbecues.[try looking after yr precious cam and having barbecue chicken wing at the same time]
dslr is good but troublesome....once u owned one...u will start to realise the how fantastic and useful the f2.8 lens of yr fz20 really is

eow said:
keep yr cam and buy the dslr too it not as bad as u thought keeping two cameras...
or sell yr fz20 and try getting the smaller fz1, 3 2nd hand and get yr dream dslr at the same time
reason that a time when a dslr is a sort of a overkill eg. parties,barbecues.[try looking after yr precious cam and having barbecue chicken wing at the same time]
dslr is good but troublesome....once u owned one...u will start to realise the how fantastic and useful the f2.8 lens of yr fz20 really is

DSLRs have gotten a lot smaller.
For parties, I couple a 50mm prime to mine and keep it in my jacket pocket.
U will start to realise how fantastic a f1.7mm prime is, especially in low light and most people don't realise they are on candid camera.;)

get FZ30 & u're closer 2 D-SLR but still enjoy d conveniences of a prosumer cam? :think:

u'll need several IS, AS, Mega OIS (wadever they r named) lenses 2 duplicate d current focal range u now hav in a single, lightweight & fuzzfree cam. how much will similiar specs f2.8 w/ OIS co$t u?

if u r fine w/ spending a tidy sum & carrying all those gears ard, then u will switch systems w/ no qualms.

I just moved from fz20 to canon 350D. I still keep my fz20 as it has f/2.8 for 12X zoom. It will cost u a bomb for such lens on DSLR. I will still use FZ20 for most of the zoom.
The 350D has superb image quality. at ISO1600 is till a lot better than FZ20's ISO400. However, you may need to spend a lot more money on f/2.8 L lens...for the sake of colors, sharpness and fast lens.

donkuok said:
I just moved from fz20 to canon 350D. I still keep my fz20 as it has f/2.8 for 12X zoom. It will cost u a bomb for such lens on DSLR. I will still use FZ20 for most of the zoom.
The 350D has superb image quality. at ISO1600 is till a lot better than FZ20's ISO400. However, you may need to spend a lot more money on f/2.8 L lens...for the sake of colors, sharpness and fast lens.

Don, I am like you! :) But sigh....not money to get the 350D w/o selling the FZ20. I have not try any shot on the 350D yet but what I miss right away is that the LCD of DSLR can't be used as a viewfinder( idid not know that)! :confused:

But I have to give my thumbs up on FZ20 cos it is an all rounder!!! No need to carry so many equipments!

So like others said, if you don't mind "leh che" of changing lens and investment on accessories, go for DSLR. It is better still if you can keep the FZ20. Like me, I can't afford to have the best of both world, so I opted a step forward i.e. the DSLR.

Jacky

Thanks to all the replies.

I doubt I will move to another prosumer camera, since most of them are limited to low ISO. (except for Minolta A2 and Sony F828)

I kinda interested in the following dSLR
- Minolta D5D (someone is selling it @ B&S - tempting)
- Canon 350D

Wait the coming sitex on the 24th Nov
play and test to yr heart content before deciding

sil said:
Thanks to all the replies.

I doubt I will move to another prosumer camera, since most of them are limited to low ISO. (except for Minolta A2 and Sony F828)

I kinda interested in the following dSLR
- Minolta D5D (someone is selling it @ B&S - tempting)
- Canon 350D

Minolta D5D not bad and it's value for money....

i would like to say that its the photographer behind the camera that matters.. but alas.. after almost a year of using the fz-5, i now crave for a dslr. speed and iso sensitivity are the main factors. im getting the D50 soon but i'll still keep my fz-5 for an indefinite amount of time...

Hi all,
since on this topic, I am also considering a FZ20 or a DSLR. Fundamentals wise I have been using manual SLRs for quite some time, so the question would be for those who had FZ20 and a DSLR - How is the focusing and response time compared with the FZ20 and a DSLR?

(Have read DPreviews and also used a friend's FZ10 for some time - find the FZ10 a little slow in response but the image quality is good. Currently using a A80 plus my Nikon SLRs)

Cheers:)

harry t said:
Hi all,
since on this topic, I am also considering a FZ20 or a DSLR. Fundamentals wise I have been using manual SLRs for quite some time, so the question would be for those who had FZ20 and a DSLR - How is the focusing and response time compared with the FZ20 and a DSLR?

(Have read DPreviews and also used a friend's FZ10 for some time - find the FZ10 a little slow in response but the image quality is good. Currently using a A80 plus my Nikon SLRs)

Cheers:)

You have been using a SLR for a while, soon u will find the FZ20 limiting your shooting potential. Recently, DSLR prices had come down a lot e.g KM 5D and D50 especially. Most FZ owners had upgraded to DSLR eventually. I myself is one of them. :bsmilie: So why not save the money and trouble and get a DSLR straight instead.
2 most common reasons to go for a DSLR, is speed and lower noise at high ISO.

FZ20 is good for streetshooting, tour, landscape and good lighting condition shooting.
Honestly, if I'm rich I would like to own a FZ5 and a DSLR. For tour and streetshoots I would like to bring the FZ5 instead of carrying so many lens and need to change this and change that just to get 1 shot. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.