FZ-18 is out! 28-504mm Leica lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Panasonic yesterday afternoon and they have no info when will it be available.

Certainly not available during Comex....

AP and MS est. mid sept.

Thanks. Hope it is in time for my travel. Else got to tag along a dslr. Heavy!

Can consider leaving your contact with your regular shop. That way, you don't need to be constantly on the look out.

who got info when is it gonna be released here in singapore?

FZ-18 open for order at Mariana Square, Panasonic roadshow. $749 less $20. Free 2Gb card. Collect latest by 1st week of Oct at any Gaincity outlet of your choice. Demo set available for handon test there.

Ordered 1 but quite worried scarely few days later selling everywhere in Cam shop...:sweat:

saw it too, got free 3 years wty. but pre-order.... lol
handling quite ok, lens barrel seems longer than prev?
AF no hunt but seems 0.5sec, but maybe I was on telemacro...

probably get a silver one LOL so can look unpro. unpro cameramen are ignored by more people :D

probably get a silver one LOL so can look unpro. unpro cameramen are ignored by more people :D

Don't be bother by what other say or look at you. It ain't important. If you are serious enough and willing to spend more, go get a DSLR. If not, only a causal photographer, prosumer is good enough. I don't like the idea of carrying so many eqpt so stick to prosumer cam.

I say go for the black if you like it more then the white one.
:bsmilie:

I am a bit confused by some of the magazine reviews...and the website reviews. Sometimes based on the features, they rate the camera good...especially if the camera has RAW.

Checked two magazines from overseas...digital photography...it gave this camera such a low rating of 64% !!!! (The same magazine gave Canon 1d-mark III 94% rating; even the canon compact had a higher rating, around 80+). Another magazine gave this FZ18 a 94% !!! I am not sure which review to believe....the reason I believe is because of noise above ISO 400 (but then all the cameras reviewed had this problem even DSLRs, but FZ18 was singled out for noise ), time taken to focus (I checked and found that all high zoom cameras, the canon [12x], fuji [8000fd], olympus [sp550], panasonic [fz18] were reported to have this same issue especially in telezoom mode, but as always one camera was singled out as poor), .....
Have also read dpreviews, and others. Conflicting reviews as well.....

i am very keen in the fz18 too, from my research thus far, i can see that fz18 still produce the inherently noisy pictures of panasonic digicams in general.

however, it has its strong points too.

for one, i really like the 28mm wide-angle.

i also prefer the colours panasonic digicams produce over other brands, such as fujifilm, canon and sony.

also, i like the fact it has a wide-angle 16:9 option for both photos and videos. if i am not wrong, other brands digicams do not have this feature.

seriously, if they fix the noise issue, it would have been close to perfect for me (for now)

alas.. it is not to be (yet)

currently i have a fujifilm f11 for 2 years which im generally very happy with. but its not perfect for the reasons i like panasonic cameras above.

i'm always keen to see panasonic finally fix the noise problem.

i've been waiting for past 3 years... still hope that they will get it right one day.

cheers

Noise, low dynamic range, slower focusing speed, lousy high ISO performance and in the case of FZ18, unable to mount external flash are the main trade off for a cheaper all in one camera compare to DSLR.

If all of the above is a major concern, don't get a prosumer. You won't be happy with it.

FZ18 allow NR control from -2 to +2. At least if you ain't happy with the way Venus III perform the NR, you can set it to -2 and pp it with Neat image or noise ninja. Wonder how helpful this is...:think:

Here's some sample of FZ18 from Dpreview.

http://www.pbase.com/davnew/alaska_cruise

Good news. Jus recd call from CP Mariana FZ18 is here. :D

Unfortunately i ordered from GainCity and still no news from them. :angry:

hmmm.. wonder if the FX 33 and FX 55 is out too?I kind of been waiting for these 2 cams. If anyone noes, can post in this forum thread? thanks a million ;p

hmmm.. wonder if the FX 33 and FX 55 is out too?I kind of been waiting for these 2 cams. If anyone noes, can post in this forum thread? thanks a million ;p

yes, it is out. Saw it at Marina Sq Pana roadshow today...FX-33 RP $599 IIRC...;)

You can check out the price from leading cam shop with Pana roadshow marina by GainCity. Their selling price more exp but come with 1(Panasonic) + 2(GainCity) years warranty. If diff is few 10's $ then it more worthwhile to pay the extra for another 2 yrs extended warranty.

yes, it is out. Saw it at Marina Sq Pana roadshow today...FX-33 RP $599 IIRC...;)

$599????:eek: i was expecting it to be at most $500... wonder if issit the auto intelligence mode,auto scene selector,auto ISO mode... tt makes it so exp :think:if FX-33 is $599, den hw abt FX-55....and even FZ-18?

hope alanphoto and mscolor gives a gd price ;p

how much?;p

hehe..see who is the nice guy to be the 1st to post pics here? If can elaborate about the auto intelligence technology efficiency would be even better ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.