Funny flare using Minolta lens with A100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noted that most of you commented that overpowered flash could be the culprit. I usually set my flash compensation to abt +0.5 to +1EV. Is this advisable? Cos my pics usually turn out underexposed if I leave the settings at 0EV.

In situations whereby there's a mirror on the side walls, should I then use a faster shutter speed & step down flash compensation to ensure that overall photo is correctly exposed?

I usually keep flash as auto but either bump up the ISO or the aperture or +1.0EV in A mode to let more background light in... the flash is used to fill only the foreground and in most cases, the subject(s)... Lightsphere is really good for these kind of situations... the light is very even but I usually get some underexposure cos I prefer to shoot at ISO200 rather than 400 for the 7D (noise was apparent even at ISO400).

The flash was bounced off the ceiling. I can't remember if I have the lens hood on, I probably did. I'm actually quite used to shooting with this lens without the hood on, but have not experienced this problem until recently. Been using it for the past 5-6 years. :dunno:

I sometimes experience this problem in situations of sunlight coming thru the window, causing a flare. But this is indoor, no sunlight though.

One other possibility is the angle of the ceiling light shining directly into the lens' front element causing flaring.. to me it's quite clear it's some kind of flaring but can't tell the source of the light... the mainly culprits for flaring during these type of wedding shots are quite a number - annoying mirrors, ceiling lights, videographer's light, other people's PnS flashes, reflective metal strips or decor around the restaurant... but mainly it's due to spotlighting that a hotel or restaurant may use to focus on the couple...

To find what exactly was the fault is to revisit the location with the same setup.

Noted that most of you commented that overpowered flash could be the culprit. I usually set my flash compensation to abt +0.5 to +1EV. Is this advisable? Cos my pics usually turn out underexposed if I leave the settings at 0EV.

In situations whereby there's a mirror on the side walls, should I then use a faster shutter speed & step down flash compensation to ensure that overall photo is correctly exposed?

I think you should be able to leave it at your usual +0.5 to +1EV flash compensation setting. One way to reduce the flare is to use a lens hood as mentioned by others earlier on. Otherwise I think you should stand clear of reflective surfaces like mirrors(I really think this is the probable cause of the flare) and also not to shoot with a large part of the mirror in the picture, as it would reflect back your flash and cause flare. If no choice then either shoot without flash or shoot off-shoe flash I guess... You can even try direct flash if the mirror is at the side or behind you, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.