fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilicboy

Mar 7, 2004
Changi
juzz wanna know how long it takes for fungus to grow in my camera/lens.
is it safe if i leave my camera in my cupboard (not in dry box) if i need to use it again in 2-3 days time? :dunno:

devilicboy said:
juzz wanna know how long it takes for fungus to grow in my camera/lens.
is it safe if i leave my camera in my cupboard (not in dry box) if i need to use it again in 2-3 days time? :dunno:

of course try to leave it in a drybox if you can, but if there is no way for that, that it jus had to be. When going for holidays my camera also dun have a dry box to sleep in, although well, weather and humilty level plays a part too.

For your information, fungus would not grow on glass in just 2 to 3 days time. It would normally take a fast-growing species that long in order to get to approximately 1 cm diameter on a plain water agar. Glass is usually a very harsh environment for fungus to grow, and would easily take weeks in order for the fungus growth to be even visible!

Also, it's a myth that once you put the camera into a drybox, your lenses are guranteed fungus-free. A dry box would only reduce the humidity, which make any fungus spore germination all the more harder. However, if fungi could grow on salted fishes, in the arctic, and even on rocks, would a lower humidity actually stop their growth? :dunno:

Just $0.02 from a mycology student. :D

So does anyone leave their lens out of the dry box for more than a month? eg, always attach on camera and forget to put camera in dry box? or on long term outing where u can't find dry box? what happens to the cam / lens afterward???

Photgraphy is expensive right..:D When I first started.. I've go no Dry Box.. so what I do just wrap it with cloth and put it in camera bag.. :D

kvp11 said:
Photgraphy is expensive right..:D When I first started.. I've go no Dry Box.. so what I do just wrap it with cloth and put it in camera bag.. :D

Add on a little scaches of Thirsty Hippo will do the trick... am I right not?

lingfoo said:
Add on a little scaches of Thirsty Hippo will do the trick... am I right not?

will thirsty hippo do the trick?

oh boy... anyone thought about those professional photographers who shoot almost everyday?? no opportunity to put camera and stuff in dry cabinet.... :rolleyes:

u guys are a bunch of kiasu people leh ... i even went for one and half months of not placing my stuff in the dry cabinet.. two to three days and you guys worry like nobody's business....

mervlam said:
oh boy... anyone thought about those professional photographers who shoot almost everyday?? no opportunity to put camera and stuff in dry cabinet.... :rolleyes:

u guys are a bunch of kiasu people leh ... i even went for one and half months of not placing my stuff in the dry cabinet.. two to three days and you guys worry like nobody's business....

Let me make some general remarks from what I gather. There are four types of people when it come to equipment, be it car, guitar or camera.

1. Collectors, who would take meticulous care of the equipment, going to the extend of cleaning the equipment at least once a week, to ensure that it's in tip-top condition. Collector generally don't use the equipment much, since any physical damage to the equipment would hurt the owner more than the pleasure that he/she would experience from the usage.

2. Users, who would use the equipment quite regularly, and have regular maintenance done on the equipment. User generally would not clean or keep the equipment in proper storage, until he/she deem that the equipment is dirtied or when the user think that the equipment would be neglected for the time being.

3. Professionals, or those who rely on the equipment to earn money. They use their equipment regularly, and quite intensively. Though they have the knowledge of maintenance, they usually don't have the time to maintain them, and would rather send the equipment for professional cleaning, rather than wasting time to do so themselves.

4. The clueless, who don't have any knowledge of maintenance, and won't actually know the importance of maintenance, until it's too late.

Hee~! Just my $0.02.

cheatchu79 said:
Let me make some general remarks from what I gather. There are four types of people when it come to equipment, be it car, guitar or camera.

1. Collectors, who would take meticulous care of the equipment, going to the extend of cleaning the equipment at least once a week, to ensure that it's in tip-top condition. Collector generally don't use the equipment much, since any physical damage to the equipment would hurt the owner more than the pleasure that he/she would experience from the usage.

2. Users, who would use the equipment quite regularly, and have regular maintenance done on the equipment. User generally would not clean or keep the equipment in proper storage, until he/she deem that the equipment is dirtied or when the user think that the equipment would be neglected for the time being.

3. Professionals, or those who rely on the equipment to earn money. They use their equipment regularly, and quite intensively. Though they have the knowledge of maintenance, they usually don't have the time to maintain them, and would rather send the equipment for professional cleaning, rather than wasting time to do so themselves.

4. The clueless, who don't have any knowledge of maintenance, and won't actually know the importance of maintenance, until it's too late.

Hee~! Just my $0.02.

How about thos that knows the important of maintenance, but have no idea how sever it is wihtout?

and how bout the hobbist?

lingfoo said:
How about thos that knows the important of maintenance, but have no idea how sever it is wihtout?

and how bout the hobbist?

Well, my categorisation is really based on my experiences with guitar maintenance. Haven't exactly have any experience with damaged equipment yet, so can't really say for sure about "thos[e] [who] know the importance of maintenance, but have no idea how sever[e] it is without [maintenance]".

Hobbyist are usually users, who would take care of the equipment only when deem fit.

Then again, there's a lot of grey areas in my categorisation, so if you have a better one, do propose! :D

cheatchu79 said:
Well, my categorisation is really based on my experiences with guitar maintenance. Haven't exactly have any experience with damaged equipment yet, so can't really say for sure about "thos[e] [who] know the importance of maintenance, but have no idea how sever[e] it is without [maintenance]".

Hobbyist are usually users, who would take care of the equipment only when deem fit.

Then again, there's a lot of grey areas in my categorisation, so if you have a better one, do propose! :D

Geee... thx for the spell check... was rushing some stuff in the server room just now while doing this post.. :D:D:D:D

mervlam said:
oh boy.:rolleyes:

Sayang mahh.. Not cheap u know..:D

But agreed with there.. are we being KIASU? :dunno:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

in one of the biggest studio in singapore where i existed... the camera is use everyday... end of day put in pelican case but the rest of the time.. awalys on the tripod.

no problem with fungus leh.... but personally i myself still keep everything in my air tight tupperware boz with silica bead when i am not using it for more than 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.