fungus lens

ahniao78

Nov 27, 2010
is it advisable to put the fungus lens with good condition lens together in dry box? besides is there any prefer location to put a dry box , ie near the place where sunlight

For me i just sun the fungus infected lens for a few days before putting them together in dri cabi. Sometimes i do use the lens cause i know the fungus has been killed. The fungus spot will become smaller when they die.

Dry box placed into sunlight will be a good BBQ for your gear. Not sure what you want to achieve with a grilled camera, though. Store your camera in defined and stable conditions, away from sunlight.

Dry box placed into sunlight will be a good BBQ for your gear. Not sure what you want to achieve with a grilled camera, though. Store your camera in defined and stable conditions, away from sunlight.
not sure bout the grilling part but I can bet you'll have to get new rubber grips for your camera.

so just Sun the lens then put it in the dry box, the fungus will be killed. anyone tried it before?

Exposing lens to sunlight may not advisable, although can remove some mild fungus but it will damage inside secondary glass due to uncontrolled temp.
Try it with my old lens the optics turns yellow and the picture quality will be affected and will result to soft photos.
Perhaps u can try UV-C lamp inside a box its a bit effective for removing mild fungus but takes a couple of days exposing lens to the lamp without harming high temp.

Why don't you send it in to get it professionally cleaned?

daredevil123 said:
Why don't you send it in to get it professionally cleaned?

Where to get it professionally cleaned and how much?

Service centers might be cheaper. You can also get it cleaned at P&G, the camera workshop or camera hospital etc etc. Should be around $60-$70.

The costs will depend on the extend of infection / cleaning and the efforts to dismantle the lens. No standard costing.

For me i just sun the fungus infected lens for a few days before putting them together in dri cabi. Sometimes i do use the lens cause i know the fungus has been killed. The fungus spot will become smaller when they die.

the fungi may die, but the spots/stain will will not be completely eliminated right?

the fungi may die, but the spots/stain will will not be completely eliminated right?

fungus will never die 100%.

fungus spores are every where in everything. It is just waiting for the right condition to grow. That's all.