Fun with EOS 450D and 50mm f1.8 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislimmc

Apr 14, 2009
Singapore
Hi guys! Bought a second hand 450D via Clubsnap forum about 4 months back and am having loads of fun with it! Have mainly been updating on my photography blog.

I've seen alot of people buying DSLRs and selling them off within weeks of purchase in the forum while I've been enjoying this hobby of mine. I didn't want to do double work by posting them on Flickr and my blog and then post here again. So I'll be putting a link to my blog just to show fellow newbies how I had so much fun shooting with just one lens.

You can look at my newbie pics at chrislim-mc.blogspot.com. :bsmilie:

Cheers!

Awesome work dude! Enjoyed every one of those pics.

Hey guys! thanks so much for the kind words! very happy you all enjoyed it :sweatsm:

you have surely made the 50/1.8 work. good work and thanks for reminding all that its the eye behind the viewfinder that matters, not the price of the lens. :)

Woah, I think some of your shots are really nice. While looking I literally "wow-ed" at the pictures haha. Good job man!

Thanks for the compliments! Yep, I hope my fellow newbies will not get caught in the "early race" to buy the best and most expensive lens / bodies / gears when we all start out. We should enjoy taking photos first! :D Anyway I think renting lenses is more feasible for newbies.

Thanks for the compliments! Yep, I hope my fellow newbies will not get caught in the "early race" to buy the best and most expensive lens / bodies / gears when we all start out. We should enjoy taking photos first! :D Anyway I think renting lenses is more feasible for newbies.

Don't worry, you will soon catch the B1BB2 virus that has infected so many of the members here.

Enjoy your photography, welcome aboard :thumbsup: :D

LOL. I get what you mean. Sooner or later the virus will hit!

i juz gotten the same lens too. love ur work. :)

50mm f/1.8 be it Canon or Nikon is a must have, since it is so dirt cheap and so useful! Thanks for sharing your excellent work! You put me to shame too! :embrass::D

Yep. have to agree that it's a great buy to start off the hobby!:thumbsup:

i really enjoyed looking at the shots you posted!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

instead of thinking too much about the perfect shot, you capture all the right moments!!
i'm guessing that's what you're thinking when you're looking through the viewfinder.. right??
i do believe too, great shots don't always come out from the "best" equipment.. ;p;)

Hahahaha yah i never think about what I want to shoot or worry if there's anything to shoot. I just shoot. ;p

good work on the prime lens!
I love those makan shots & the weddings, good eye for detail.
Basically, I think you showed people here what one prime lens can do, its the person behind the VF, not the arms race for the next better lens.

I am a range finder person, been shooting on RF for quite a while, so basically all my lens are prime.

That habit of prime lens got carried over to SLR as well. I do have a old Nikon DSLR D50 at home as well, given by a friend, so far, have never touched the 2 zoom lenses that came along with it, been using the 50mm F1.8 to shoot around, dont really need those powerful zooms.

Am using a canon lens on my RF as well. made in 1960, works fantastic for an old timer. Canon 50mm F1.2 LTM, just got it recently, the power of the bokeh is :thumbsup:

check it out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/3826462244/

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Very nice photos! Loved every one of them, especially the wedding photos. Would love to see more!

Enjoy your photography, pretty good eyes for details especially wedding photos.

Wedding photos taken are even much better than a P that charged highly per hour.
Thanks for sharing.

Hi guys! didn't expect to have such a warm reception. but really grateful for the kind words cos it encourages me to take better pictures. I will post more when the opportunity arises.

To Royale With Cheese: Hey there! thanks for the kind words! i love your pictures! very nice tone and texture and well composed. INSPIRED me! But evil la:devil:, now that i see what the 50mm F1.2 can do, makes me salivate liao. I actually intend to go mostly with prime lens in the near future (maybe a wide angle prime) because it suits what i want to take and it gives me the quality i want.

To everyone, happy snapping, don't spend too much $..........................................yet. :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

you have some very nice works. mainly tlaking about the wedding photography. for a newcomer, some of these shots are really not shabby.

welcome to clubsnap, and please enjoy.

it is good that you take the right attitude. equipment is not everything. :)

To Royale With Cheese: Hey there! thanks for the kind words! i love your pictures! very nice tone and texture and well composed. INSPIRED me! But evil la:devil:, now that i see what the 50mm F1.2 can do, makes me salivate liao. I actually intend to go mostly with prime lens in the near future (maybe a wide angle prime) because it suits what i want to take and it gives me the quality i want.

To everyone, happy snapping, don't spend too much $..........................................yet. :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hahaha!

Thanks! I think your wedding candids are very nice. Nicely done! Alot of emotions & expressions captured.
You got the making of a good wedding photographer on the candids side, am sure your cousin loved those shots! Most newbies I know (ok I am sterotyping here) wouldnt wanna use prime, they go for those spanking zoom lenses that cost alot of $$.

My 50mm F1.2 is a very old lens, made in 1960, manual focus for rangefinders, especially the canon 7s back than, its a copy of zeiss planar design back than if I am not wrong.

Am not really a SLR person but think there is a modern 50mm F1.2 avaliable for DSLR, should be this one:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082415canon50f12lens.asp

Yep, prime lens are fun especially for capturing fast candids at weddings of people around you & they are compact, doesnt add much weight to the camera.

I have a wide lens, Voigtlander 15mm F4.5, great for landscape & stuff but suffers from distortion around the sides but honestly havent been using them for landscape much, more to stuff like that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/3630033904/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/3757774583/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/3757775413/

Status
Not open for further replies.