Full moon over river nile

Status
Not open for further replies.

wattky

Jun 24, 2006
DSC01518copy2.jpg

i like the mood of the picture, i would think cropping away the right side to form a square frame might be good, though it'll take away much expanse of the space, i think it'll get rid of quite abit of loose space doing nothing on the right side.

eikin said:
i like the mood of the picture, i would think cropping away the right side to form a square frame might be good, though it'll take away much expanse of the space, i think it'll get rid of quite abit of loose space doing nothing on the right side.
Thanx! :) Glad you like it. I'm still relatively new to the art of cropping. Is there any standard size to crop a photo? Especially if I'm going to develop it?

you can print any dimension, just that dimensions not comforming to the usual (4R, 5r, 6r ... ...) will mean that you'll need to have the image cut to size after printing. here's an example of the square crop i visualised

DSC01518copy2A.jpg

the main idea is to keep the relationship within the frame simple and remove excessive spaces to prevent viewers' eyes from wandering off your intended theme.

eikin said:
you can print any dimension, just that dimensions not comforming to the usual (4R, 5r, 6r ... ...) will mean that you'll need to have the image cut to size after printing. here's an example of the square crop i visualised

DSC01518copy2A.jpg

the main idea is to keep the relationship within the frame simple and remove excessive spaces to prevent viewers' eyes from wandering off your intended theme.
Thanx for the tipoff! :)

Another one taken during the night when the sun has fully set.

DSC01540copy.jpg

2nd picture does not work for me at all. the blown moon and reflection are rather uninteresting subjects. if you're shooting digital, night scenes like this are best done with 2 exposures, 1 for the moon and another for the environment, and merge the 2 using editing software.

Oh ok hehehe :sweat: coz when I took the 2nd photo, all I had in mind was the memories of some painted picture from some old school textbook of the same setting, moon reflection over a water surface. Btw, do u have any skills to impart on how to take moon photos? Like what settings to use? I only have a Panasonic FZ-10 to play with(still saving up for a DSLR:sweat: ), will it be sufficient?

good exposure control for 1st pic. how did you meter it?

wattky said:
Oh ok hehehe :sweat: coz when I took the 2nd photo, all I had in mind was the memories of some painted picture from some old school textbook of the same setting, moon reflection over a water surface. Btw, do u have any skills to impart on how to take moon photos? Like what settings to use? I only have a Panasonic FZ-10 to play with(still saving up for a DSLR:sweat: ), will it be sufficient?

sorry for late reply, missed your second question. the method is mentioned in my previous reply

eikin said:
2nd picture does not work for me at all. the blown moon and reflection are rather uninteresting subjects. if you're shooting digital, night scenes like this are best done with 2 exposures, 1 for the moon and another for the environment, and merge the 2 using editing software.

espion said:
good exposure control for 1st pic. how did you meter it?

Thanx espion, :) if I remember correctly (cause the photo was taken quite sometime back) I used spot metering and pointed somewhere near the trees over at the riverbank, exact point can't remember:sweat: anyway, I was using my old Sony DSC-P71 when I took the photo.

coolcat said:
go ahead! let me know if you need one with larger image size :)

DSC01540Modified.jpg

Tried following some steps in extracting the moon from a Photoshop CS book by Scott Kelby :sweat: Hope its still acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.