full frame vs 7D and lens suggestions!

thanks :) lets assume for ease of discussion that ive decided to go FF with nikon. now im trying to figure out a good first choice lens - first decide if to get a prime or two to start with, or go with a standard zoom to start with

again, just in case anyone didnt read my last question in the previous post, im curious about the 'focus shift' issue on the new 28mm f1.8G. is this a deal-breaker? any of u guys using this lens, have u noticed this to be an issue?

focus shift deal breaker or not all depends on how you shoot. There are ways to get around it abiet a little troublesome. Many great lenses has focus shifts, including the legendary Canon 50/1.2 L.

On the Nikon 28 f1.8g, check out one Rain Rockwell who champion this lens here :)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon/1096892-nikon-28mm-f1-8-a.html

thanks :) lets assume for ease of discussion that ive decided to go FF with nikon. now im trying to figure out a good first choice lens - first decide if to get a prime or two to start with, or go with a standard zoom to start with

again, just in case anyone didnt read my last question in the previous post, im curious about the 'focus shift' issue on the new 28mm f1.8G. is this a deal-breaker? any of u guys using this lens, have u noticed this to be an issue?

Last edited:
i see! someone over at the nikon 28mm thread mentioned that this is supposedly a problem only on a particular batch. anyway, reading quite a few other reviews i heard no such complaints.. so seems like this will be a good starting point for me

haha yes i read the rockwell review too! problem is, people dont take his reviews very seriously so im not sure how to take this one. either way, it seems that after a days research this seems like a solid lens to start off with, together with my future D600! and a 50mm f1.8 (and maybe the 85 1.8G) to come soon!

heshanj said:
i see! someone over at the nikon 28mm thread mentioned that this is supposedly a problem only on a particular batch. anyway, reading quite a few other reviews i heard no such complaints.. so seems like this will be a good starting point for me

haha yes i read the rockwell review too! problem is, people dont take his reviews very seriously so im not sure how to take this one. either way, it seems that after a days research this seems like a solid lens to start off with, together with my future D600! and a 50mm f1.8 (and maybe the 85 1.8G) to come soon!

Hi, Nikon 28mm problem?
I has never heard it before..

When you buy the lens and test on the spot, should be not a big issue.

Good lucky happy for your enjoy new body & lens :)

thats good to hear :D actually most people i asked directly who used this lens have never heard of the focus shift problem that one or two reviews mentioned. maybe it was just a problem with that particular lens. if all u guys seem to use it and seem satisfied with it (the guys on the nikon forum love it!) i have no reason not to get this

D600+28mm f1.8G looks like its gonna be the starting kit for me! getting a zoom later on, maybe i'll save up and later get the 24-120 f4 VR or the tamron 24-70 f2.8.
thanks for all the help and input! as usual, wonderful help from this forum

thats good to hear :D actually most people i asked directly who used this lens have never heard of the focus shift problem that one or two reviews mentioned. maybe it was just a problem with that particular lens. if all u guys seem to use it and seem satisfied with it (the guys on the nikon forum love it!) i have no reason not to get this

D600+28mm f1.8G looks like its gonna be the starting kit for me! getting a zoom later on, maybe i'll save up and later get the 24-120 f4 VR or the tamron 24-70 f2.8.
thanks for all the help and input! as usual, wonderful help from this forum

if you have not used a FF before, i would like to remind you that the FOV is similar to 18mm~ on your 7D.
with a prime lens this wide on a FF sensor, there is only so much you can use it for.
think what would you shoot if your 7D is fitted with a prime lens of 18mm (hypothetical lens)?

if you are mainly into landscape it should be fine, but for portrait it may not be.

i would consider the D600 with tamron 28-75mm to be a better all-rounder start-up, which is similar to your 18-55mm on 7D. it will go easier with your shooting habit and wallet.

Last edited:
thanks Alan. good point. however i feel that a wide prime is something i will use. i shoot a lot of street stuff and although a big DSLR is not ideal for streets, i still plan on using it for this purpose, as well as landscape. i'll add on a 50mm prime as soon as i can! then save up and go for a high quality standard zoom. thats the plan, at least! haha