Fujifirm Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulz86

Oct 5, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Yo people, i know this kind of qn might have been asked plenty of times. but im still a little curious what people thought about it now adays.

i have heard good things bout fuji cam but i wonder what's the bad thing about fuji cam?

i heard some like sensor isnt durable?

i have heard good things bout fuji cam but i wonder what's the bad thing about fuji cam?

i heard some like sensor isnt durable?

Fujifirm?????? :dunno: Fuji has no firm. It is Fujifilm.

Ok, I own a S2 Pro, S3 Pro and now a S5 Pro. All of them using Fuji's Super CCD sensor. Therefore, I can confidently say that their sensor can last as long as any electronic CCD or CMOS sensor. Yes, there were some minor issues with the S2 Pro sensor in the past, but Fuji had got them fixed.

For your 'what's the bad thing about Fuji cam?' question, I would say it is the speed - writing and reading speed. Reason being that RAF files are larger than those from a Canon or a Nikon.

Another 'bad' thing I would say is the aftersales service.
  • First of all, Fuji Service Centre is located 'out-of-the-way' at New Industrial Road, off Upper Paya Lebar Road. Operation hours is not good either - from 9am to 7pm, weekdays only. Imagine I work in downtown and if I don't get off work before 6pm, do you think I can bring my camera there for servicing?
  • Next comes the price of sensor cleaning. It costs almost $100 to clean a DSLR sensor. That's why I clean the sensor myself these days.
  • Last but not least, the inadequate staffing of service technicians. Imagine this - there are only 3 technicians servicing all the Fuji cameras (both PnSs and DSLRs) in Singapore! It will takes Fuji 1 to 2 weeks to repair something that other service centres take in just 3 to 4 days.

Moderator:

I think this thread should either be in the Fuji forum or the Consumers Corner forum.

Ok, I own a S2 Pro, S3 Pro and now a S5 Pro. All of them using Fuji's Super CCD sensor. Therefore, I can confidently say that their sensor can last as long as any electronic CCD or CMOS sensor. Yes, there were some minor issues with the S2 Pro sensor in the past, but Fuji had got them fixed.

For your 'what's the bad thing about Fuji cam?' question, I would say it is the speed - writing and reading speed. Reason being that RAF files are larger than those from a Canon or a Nikon.

• First of all, Fuji Service Centre is located 'out-of-the-way' at New Industrial Road, off Upper Paya Lebar Road. Operation hours is not good either - from 9am to 7pm, weekdays only. Imagine I work in downtown and if I don't get off work before 6pm, do you think I can bring my camera there for servicing?
  • Next comes the price of sensor cleaning. It costs almost $100 to clean a DSLR sensor. That's why I clean the sensor myself these days.
  • Last but not least, the inadequate staffing of service technicians. Imagine this - there are only 3 technicians servicing all the Fuji cameras (both PnSs and DSLRs) in Singapore! It will takes Fuji 1 to 2 weeks to repair something that other service centres take in 3 to 4 days.

lol my bad on the wrong spelling and putting the thread at the wrong place :sweat:

pretty detail information there photobum, very informative, thanks!

actually im having idea of buying fuji's cam but most of my frens are actually supporters of nikon and canon.. so im kinda like shaken by them lol.. it doesnt sound that bad after all your explanations.. i believe nikon and canon has their flaws also but just that it wasnt as obvious lol.

or maybe we shld keep this thread here :think: and change the topic to what's so bad about each brand :bsmilie: :sticktong

and change the topic to what's so bad about each brand :bsmilie: :sticktong

wah...then it'll be an endless thread. no cam has it all and in the end you'll probably be asked to go with what feels comfortable to you and also depends on what features you rank most highly.

I do agree on the fact that each camera brand has its pros and cons. But if we will have to list all of them out, nobody would want to purchase, say Fuji, because their service is slow. We buy cameras based on our individual preferences and level of confidence with a certain brand name.

I am a Fuji/Nikon user myself and a Canon user at work. At work, whenever a camera needs servicing, I am usually the one who brings it to Canon. I must say that Canon Service Centre is better than the rest in general. No matter how good a service centre is however, it is still operated by humans, and humans make mistakes. There are a few times when Canon did 'screw-up' their repairs for me.

Nikon Service Centre is another story. Depending on the person who serves you, I find that the older staffs there are more cooperative. The younger staff has got that 'bochap' attitude (except for the fact that if you bring in a D2Xs or a D3 for servicing, they will definitely 'chap' you). Also, their service technicians are not meticulous with their work. Sometimes you will see fingerprints inside your lens, or a few pieces of mysterious hair (curly ones! - which makes you wonder whether the technician washes their hands before handling your equipment :think:) or lint here are there. I missed those days when Nikon was distributed under Shriro Singapore.

From users' feedback, Pentax offers the best after sales service right now. And yes, Pentax is distributed under Shriro Singapore.

Like what photobum has mentioned, the major downsides to a Fujifilm camera is the speed of the both camera's operation, and the after sales service (and cost).

But the S5 Pro is definitely a fair bit faster than its predecessors, with much better AWB.

In case you are unaware, Fujifilm cameras are built on Nikon bodies, and use Nikon F-mount lenses.

Fujifilm DSLRs cater to a niche group of photographers. Go try one at a reputable shop. Then try Nikon and Canon cameras of the same level as well (D200/D300 for Nikon and 30D/40D for Canon). Compare them side to side. Think thoroughly of what you really want, what you really like about the different cameras. Then weigh the advantages and disadvantages. Buying a DSLR is not as simple as buying a compact camera. You're buying a camera and a whole system of lenses. Jumping to another brand is not that easy, and be prepared to lose quite a bit of money if you're going to do just that. :)

some folks seem to have this idea that the s2/s3/s5 are some sort of miracle cameras. :bsmilie:

They are the magic pills for 'curing' uninteresting and unappealing colors illness suffered by other DSLRs.

If u have been dying to shoot with the kind of result that u had gotten in film, only Fuji DSLR IMO can give you close to that.
To me, DR and roll off of the highlight is one of the most important factor, as well as noise pattern,colour(and colour at high iso)
Even with the latest Nikon D300 the highlight roll off is too abrupt and u can't salvage blown highlight(infact most dslrs can't) but the way Fuji S5 and their SR ccd alignment mimicks the way film handles highlight and dr.
this is the comparison that hit the nail for me to get S5 as opposed to latest and better D300 body http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1020&message=26152998

As for the downside, like others have mentioned it can get a little bit slow.
But if you are not the kind who need instant feedback on lcd it's fine, as well as those who don't shoot burst for sport.
Don't get me wrong, of course it can do sport, to say that it can't is ridiculous.
And of course the out-of-the way service centre..

• Last but not least, the inadequate staffing of service technicians. Imagine this - there are only 3 technicians servicing all the Fuji cameras (both PnSs and DSLRs) in Singapore! It will takes Fuji 1 to 2 weeks to repair something that other service centres take in just 3 to 4 days.

Very well said:thumbsup::thumbsup: i have de same thinkin as u..haha Thanks for mention it out..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.