Fujifilm X series (mirrorless) quality and service

Canon_5D

Oct 24, 2005
Any one faces camera/lens failure in 1 year or around 1 year? How is the camera service of Fujifilm?

Been using my x-e1 since Nov 2012. No problem with camera body or lens.
Plus getting firmware upgrade from time to time from Fujifilm website for added features and new lens support.

I have use X-Pro 1 since April 2012 and along the way bought additional fuji gears, no problem till date.

seems i am unlucky. X-M1 or the kit lens went faulty just pass one year (5k photos) ...

For all my Canon cameras, point and shoot, DSLR, their lives lasted more than 4 years with >50k+ shutter counts each ...

Question is: whether to keep my Fujifilm line ...

I wonder how long will the LCD last.....

My first XE-1 had issues with the motherboard within a month of use. Camera will freeze up and EVF starts to flicker and eventually showing me an error message. At first, they couldn't find anything wrong with the camera until I showed them a clip which I recorded when the camera was acting up. Camera was fixed.

I think really boils down to luck.

Used my fuji xe1 since mid last year till now no problems. Dlsr wise, my Nikon also gave me no problems since 2009.

Canon on the other hand when i had the 5dmkiii with 24 105, the 24 105 just died on my with no rhyme or reason.

I think it's just luck la, just got a lemon copy haha

Never had such issues, and I ran through X-E1, X-E2 and X-T1 , all second hand sets some more.

Service centre was good when I visited them twice , once for a blob of unknown stuff on my X-E2 sensor (they took it in immed, cleaned it up within 1 hour so I could collect straight and waived off standard sensor cleaning charges)

2nd time it was for my X100S and also settled nicely.

That said , I think the biggest problem of the Fujifilm service centre is retaining their good staff, every time I go it's some new faces.

I sent them an email, no reply, so i sent a 2nd one. then a tech guy called me. told me to call for him when i go to the service centre so that he can go to the front desk to quickly see what is the problem with my lens. the recep call the tech but he didn't come down for some reason. maybe it's too far away. instead, the recep took my camera and lens away to show the tech. very unpro way of handling things in my opinion.

I sent them an email, no reply, so i sent a 2nd one. then a tech guy called me. told me to call for him when i go to the service centre so that he can go to the front desk to quickly see what is the problem with my lens. the recep call the tech but he didn't come down for some reason. maybe it's too far away. instead, the recep took my camera and lens away to show the tech. very unpro way of handling things in my opinion.

The clean room is upstairs hence maybe it's why the recep needs to bring your equipment upstairs.

Before I give the feedback to Fujifim , maybe u can let me know is the part where the technician didn't come to level 1 to meet u or that they had to bring your equipment upstairs for checking which u found unprofessional?

No reply to 1st email is straight away they can do better. :)

Sent email on last Thursday. No reply.

Was told: now is a 'peak' period (too many repairation work? or staffs on leave?), my repairation work most likely cannot be finished in a week. Do not know when they could send me the quotation of cost ...

Anyway, problem came just in a year. What to say bad luck, bad timing of service ? ...

The clean room is upstairs hence maybe it's why the recep needs to bring your equipment upstairs.

Before I give the feedback to Fujifim , maybe u can let me know is the part where the technician didn't come to level 1 to meet u or that they had to bring your equipment upstairs for checking which u found unprofessional?

No reply to 1st email is straight away they can do better. :)

There are personal pictures in my camera. there is a problem with the lens, not the camera, they should just take the lens and not the camera. I don't know what they did when the recep took it upstairs....because when she came down, she can still ask me to tell her the problem with the lens. DIdn't the tech check it when she brought it upstairs ?
Do i care where the clean room is when the tech himself ask me to tell the recep to call him to come down and make a quick assessment when i am there ?

they also have no record of my email to them when i told them i email them few weeks before. is this acceptable ?

Last edited:

if you want to meet the technician personally, buy a leica :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

I bought my X-T1 on August, and my flash died on me on October... I have yet to send it to Fujifilm service center, as I still need to use the camera until the end of this year. I'm not sure whether is the hot shoe connector or the flash problem, but not having a flash is not really a big problem to me. I'm gonna report here once I send it in for checking.

There are personal pictures in my camera. there is a problem with the lens, not the camera, they should just take the lens and not the camera. I don't know what they did when the recep took it upstairs....because when she came down, she can still ask me to tell her the problem with the lens. DIdn't the tech check it when she brought it upstairs ?
Do i care where the clean room is when the tech himself ask me to tell the recep to call him to come down and make a quick assessment when i am there ?

they also have no record of my email to them when i told them i email them few weeks before. is this acceptable ?

hi,

I feel there's not much of a point complaining here if Fujifilm never gets to hear of this. Will you mind if I share your feedback with Fujifilm SG? Generally they will either call me back or (if you don't mind) , they can call you to resolve whatever needs to be improved.

seems i am unlucky. X-M1 or the kit lens went faulty just pass one year (5k photos) ...

For all my Canon cameras, point and shoot, DSLR, their lives lasted more than 4 years with >50k+ shutter counts each ...

Question is: whether to keep my Fujifilm line ...

any brand , no matter Canikon or even Leica (the infamous M9 sensor) will wear over time.

I have friends who have bought Canon and ended up cursing and swearing when they had to send equipment in. To keep or not its up to oneself ;) but unless I hear something like a batch issue , I'm not going to be overly worried.

Never had such issues, and I ran through X-E1, X-E2 and X-T1 , all second hand sets some more.

Service centre was good when I visited them twice , once for a blob of unknown stuff on my X-E2 sensor (they took it in immed, cleaned it up within 1 hour so I could collect straight and waived off standard sensor cleaning charges)

2nd time it was for my X100S and also settled nicely.

That said , I think the biggest problem of the Fujifilm service centre is retaining their good staff, every time I go it's some new faces.

From what I know, their staffs turnover rate is very high in recent years. Seems there are lots of unhappiness going on.

From what I know, their staffs turnover rate is very high in recent years. Seems there are lots of unhappiness going on.

That is potential worry too. The FA (Failure Analysis) experience needs yearS to accumulate. For simple failure and fix, it is fine. Complex FA, it will have problem.

Pre-sale service and brand promotion are important, after-sale service is more important ... This apply to cameras, cars .... It should be fixed.

I am still waiting for the updates from the service center ....

consumers generally don't care if you have a HR problem in your company. they buy from you and if they have a problem they expect the problem to be fixed by your company ASAP with as little inconvenience as possible.

when i went to challenger to enquire about Panny cameras, the sales person told me the service by Panasonic sucks....i am not sure if that a sales tactic or not to sway me to other brands