Fuji X100 - Part 2

By e way i bought a multi coated uv filter for $38 and e stop assistant told me i can screw on directly, but after screwed on, i cant do macro shots. camera kept asking me to turn off and on the camera. i would suggest a non multi coated if you are thinking of screwing it on directly without the adapter as the multi coat is affecting the camera focus cos it is screwed on the lens on the opposite direction

The reason is because your X100 lens in macro mode will protrude and require more depth than a single Filter. Either you get two filters remove the one of the glass to act as an extender and screw the second filter or buy the Fuji AR-X100 adapter ring.

"Screw" the shop assistant..LOL. Yes, u can get a filter adapter for x100. There is a shop at Excelsor shopping 2nd flr selling. It will come with a metal hood too. Not too expensive...Ebay also selling.

There are 2 types of filter adapter and hood available for x100:

1) Original filter adapter with hood (Made in Japan set, nicer quality and packaging)

- Some shops were previously selling for $100+

- It is now selling at most reputable stores at $80+

2) Compatible version by JJC Brand, Made in China

- You can find it at the shop behind Chiif store

There are 2 types of filter adapter and hood available for x100:

1) Original filter adapter with hood (Made in Japan set, nicer quality and packaging)

- Some shops were previously selling for $100+

- It is now selling at most reputable stores at $80+

2) Compatible version by JJC Brand, Made in China

- You can find it at the shop behind Chiif store

JJC Brand is good enough. So long it doesn't spoil the camera or spoil the shot, get a reasonably priced set is good enough

For those who have yet to download firmware ver1.11, Use card reader to download to SD card and then to camera. Auto download from computer to camera does not work

Any significant improvements after the firmware update?

Hi bros

im really keen in getting this X100. have been a dslr user using a fixed 35mm lens most of the time

my main subjects are my children and my pets.

Most important of all to me is shooting my running children sharply.

Have yet to rent the X100 before buying it.

Any one has the same shooting needs as me can advise?

Hi bros

im really keen in getting this X100. have been a dslr user using a fixed 35mm lens most of the time

Personally don't shoot running children, but the general consensus on the x100 forums in dpreview regarding this usage seems to be a big NO, even among those who are huge fans of the camera. The af speed and shutter lag is just not responsive enough to shoot moving subjects without alot of anticipation.

I agree. This camera is not meant for fast moving children. You will be very frustrated if you try.

Hi bros

DSLR is still best for fast moving subjects, with x100 you will have to work around it's limitations, was roaming the street the other day with my x100, some shots below hope it helps..:)

sDSCF0650-1.jpg

sDSCF0651-1.jpg

sDSCF0652-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my X100 2 days ago. Short of asking the shop, which I have not done so, have been trying to figure out from the camera without any success which firmware version it is using. Any idea? Thanks.

Press and hold the Disp/Back button then turn on the camera, the version number will be displayed.

Insert a blank formatted media in the camera.
Turn on your "Camera" while holding down the [DISP/BACK] button.
The number will displayed "CURRENT" showing the camera's current firmware version.
After checking the firmware version, press the [MENU/OK] button and then turn off your camera.

Thanks for the advice guys

Any alternative to lugging my big DSLR around?

Hi Guys,

Wanting to buy another battery for travelling.

Any good recommendations for 3rd parties? or should I stick to original.

Cheers,
Nic

I bought 1 piece of Divi Power 2800mAh at $35. Last longer than the original battery. Not bad.
Spare battery for this cam is a must, really.

Hi Guys,

Wanting to buy another battery for travelling.

Any good recommendations for 3rd parties? or should I stick to original.

Cheers,
Nic

I bought 2 3800mAh 3rd party battery from SLRR for $7 each. So far so good, no prob at all :)

Let's have a little game. The following pics are from imaging-resource, both are shot at ISO 200 and 100% crop. Without going to the website, guess which one is X100 and what is the other camera?

6304554269_f2cbd874e8_b.jpg

6305079894_fcca2a441c_b.jpg

6305009346_b35f51d92e_b.jpg

6304475509_738dd1beed_b.jpg