Fuji X-M1

Yes, you are right. I would like to turn off the sound when press buttons, 'silent mode' can do it, but the flash disabled too. :)

As a serious Canon DSLR user for 10 years, i bought a X-M1 as walk around camera weeks back.

Pros:
- Liked exterior design. It looks very fashion.

- Amazed by its sensor performance in term of resolution. With Raynox250, the letters on the security line of a ten $ note can be clearly seen (even with 1/13sec, hand held. OIS did a great job). In day time, the kit lens performs very well with great details.

- In low light condition, no obvious noise at ISO 3200.

- The weight is light.

Cons
- Focus is slow. Lose to Olympus Pen EP3.

- Am not satisfied with battery life. Seems it cannot last more than 200 shots. The min time for auto-power-down is 2 min. Hope it likes Olympus, there is a one minute option. Or, there is a button that can send the camera to sleep mode (turn off LCD display) to save power.

- In long exposure, the min ISO is 200. When expose for 20sec, noise can be seen on the final picture even in raw.

- During shooting, the main dial, which controls the +/- exposure compensation, was easily changed inadvertently. The dial could be designed with more damping or stiff.

Overall
I like the camera. The image from the camera is solid even with kit lens. For day time street shooting, it is good choice.

Any comments on battery life or long exposure?

Last edited:
Thanks, Shootstrong. Upgraded.

- Anyone observed any improvement in AF speed?

- Anyone also upgrade the kit lens firmware which was updated for XE2?
XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS Ver.1.10
Addition of “Phase Detection AF” function for X-E2
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

Last edited:
Shot with the XM1 and Touit 12mm in 长春 at -8degC:
1454816_10201719958373987_735682978_n.jpg

Thanks for sharing. It is sharp, color and Boekh is very nice.

Saw the AF video of Canon M2, the AF speed is very fast. Hope X-M1 can match it.

Hi, I'm using X-M1 in the studio and I find it difficult to shoot with the screen turning black when I press the shutter button. I checked the manual but I just can't find a way to turn off live view in manual mode. Does anyone know of a solution?

Hi, I'm using X-M1 in the studio and I find it difficult to shoot with the screen turning black when I press the shutter button. I checked the manual but I just can't find a way to turn off live view in manual mode. Does anyone know of a solution?

For x-e2 it is located at screen setup --> Preview in Manual mode. Set it off. Menu should be same as xm1.

Thanks Subzero I have checked but there is no such option in the screen setup...I guess the software of this cam is dufferent from the other x series. Now I hope Fuji will update the software to include this option. It's a bit annoying but not as frustrating as the AF so I can live with it.

The photos look good and in such a compact camera.

Can anybody recommend any good shop to buy this or is it the same price everywhere else?

Thanks!

Anyone encounter X-M1 and X35mmF1.4 on continuous focus or on SR+? Lens non-stop focusing or hunting even not in use.
For what I understand this will happen if you're on video mode or when I half-pressed the shutter button.

Yup same behaviour :)

Pre-AF for X-E is the same as AF-C mode on X-M1 I think.

On X-E series there's a setting Pre-AF. It seems this what X-M1 is missing

Where is this Pre-AF setting on X-E1? Can't seems to find any in the menu, or are you referring to AF-C?

Hi there. Good day to you guys. I'm new here and am very interested in getting the X-M1. Can you pros suggest a shop where I can get the best deal for the basic kit? And an estimate best street price for it? Thanks so much!

Hi there. Good day to you guys. I'm new here and am very interested in getting the X-M1. Can you pros suggest a shop where I can get the best deal for the basic kit? And an estimate best street price for it? Thanks so much!

I saw this selling at 799 @ sitex with 3 lenses, 16-50, 50-230 & 27mm. Street price should be around there.

I bought this camera specifically for my trip to Barcelona and Zermatt in Dec this year. It came with 3 lenses, the 16-50mm (kit) and 2 freebies, the 50-230mm and 27mm. For the price, I would say it is pretty good value and a user friendly camera as well. The reason I bought this is because of its compact size and the large APS-C sensor (which was reflected in the quality of the photos), relative to the size of the body. I have stopped bringing my Canon 5D for holidays since many years ago, due to its bulkiness and weight - it simply wasn't practical, at least for my purposes.

I am happy with the quality and fidelity of the photos taken by this camera. I used the 16-50mm kit lens practically all the time even though I brought the other 2 free lenses along with me, and they were sitting inside the suitcase all the time. The in-built flash was also pretty handy for those moments when the background was too bright or just too dark (e.g. some night scenes) as I don't normally use flash when taking photos. The lack of a view finder took a little bit of getting used to and was not a show stopper at all. The wifi is a good and useful addition although the menu could be a little "friendlier" and more intuitive. Once you get the "logic" of the wifi, it works flawlessly with the FujiFilm camera App and I have been able to transfer many photos taken on this camera directly onto my iPhone for uploading on social media. For those who want good quality photos in a handy, user-friendly and practical camera, this is a serious contender.

My friend who was with me on the trip also bought the same set a day before we departed. His entire family used the camera (wife and young kids) during the trip and they loved it - it was rather user friendly.

I even brought it along with me when I went skiing (without a back pack) by putting it inside the pocket of my ski suit. Overall, I am happy with it. It helped us capture many memories that would otherwise be shot with the iPhone due to its compact size and ease of use. Whilst it cannot replace my DSLR, especially so for sports photography, its compact size makes it easy to carry around and therefore available for more moments than not. Looks like it will be accompanying me for more trips in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I bought the X-M1 after seeing that it is a great offer after using Micro43 for sometime and want to try out myself.
I bought the Samyang 8mm fisheye at the same time as I have great fun with the 7.5mm for m43.

After putting on the fish eye lens and turn on the peaking, I can't seems to see the highlighted point to show the frame is in focus.

Is this normal for this camera? My panasonic m43 camera will light up like a Christmas tree for area in focus. The X-M1 seems so faint that I cannot tell if the frame is in focus.

Bringing the camera to fujifilm in Funan is useless as the staff even does not want to look at my camera and ask to ask the fujifilm club member for help. Really disappointed by Fujifilm response.