Fuji X-E1 and new compact coming! Thread II

montage85

Apr 7, 2010
thanks for all the advice so far. think i will get the XE-1 to try out first before deciding if i shld keep the Canon 60D. read here that the 18-55mm kit is not out yet right?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to look for some user feedback on the X-E1. Specifically I'm intending to use legacy glass (via M adapter) on the cam so AF is a moot point for me. Currently using a Ricoh GXR with M Mount.

1st Query - With the quick start mode enabled, is the start up time nearly instantaneous? Does it reduce battery life significantly with this mode on?

2nd Query - Manual focusing with the EVF - how responsive is the LCD when manual focusing?

3rd Query - Exposure compensation dial - is it free rotating or fixed after hitting +2/-2?

4th Query - How long is the shutter blackout time in between shots?

Its frustrating - you can find the cameras in shop but no one has a demo set for you to try out. There's only so much reading specs and reviews can tell you. Wonder whatever happened to try first before buying -_-"

Any bros ordered from b&h before ? Prices for the 18-55 set looks attractive.

the shipping is not attractive thou. :bsmilie:

D 18-55 has 3 aspherical elements... quiet as sharp as the 35mm on the same focal length testing as indicated in the above post (link)...

Only grub is the aperture for me... still prefer f/1.4... :cry:

eh u sure? the tax calculation not working...so cant check.

ok.

Fujifilm XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS Zoom Lens $699.00

Choose a Shipping Method
$44.86 UPS Worldwide Saver
3-5 Business Days Delivery

so it is cheaper? $699 USD + $44.86 USD + 7% GST.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to look for some user feedback on the X-E1. Specifically I'm intending to use legacy glass (via M adapter) on the cam so AF is a moot point for me. Currently using a Ricoh GXR with M Mount.

1st Query - With the quick start mode enabled, is the start up time nearly instantaneous? Does it reduce battery life significantly with this mode on?

2nd Query - Manual focusing with the EVF - how responsive is the LCD when manual focusing?

3rd Query - Exposure compensation dial - is it free rotating or fixed after hitting +2/-2?

Its frustrating - you can find the cameras in shop but no one has a demo set for you to try out. There's only so much reading specs and reviews can tell you. Wonder whatever happened to try first before buying -_-"

I have both the GXR and XE1 with M lenses. Let me try to answer yr questions.

1. Startup is about the same for both. XE1's batt life is way much better than the GXR.
2. I think the GXR's refresh rate is a bit better but was never an issue for me with both cams.
3. Never tried
4. Quite quick, good enough for me for both

I find the GXR colors cleaner while the XE1 is warmish even when set to Standard. I use both as XE1's 35mm is really very good and it's got AF - useful once in a while.

Hi guys,

2)I find the focus by wire to be sluggish as if there is a lot of inertia.

3)fixed

the shipping is not attractive thou. :bsmilie:

works for me, just that the kit is still on backorder so need to wait. Will be picking it up from my US address next month so free shipping :)

Anyone getting the Gariz half leather case for their X-E1? Seems like it will be available starting from tmr at TK Cathay and Harvey Norman

5now5torm said:
Anyone getting the Gariz half leather case for their X-E1? Seems like it will be available starting from tmr at TK Cathay and Harvey Norman

Not to forget d thumbs up.

5now5torm said:
Bro any idea how much the thumbs up is and where I could get it from?

Sgcamerastore but price unknown yet as not launched yet. Should b by this weekend.

Gariz cases are really good stuff.. Had it for my Nex 7, x100 and Xpro1.

Was waiting for this so bad finally got it! :)

Much better than the fuji original case or grip cos it acts as a grip, bottom plate and has the quick access batt/sd compartment all in one.

Anyone wants the Gariz X-E1 case? Am in Korea now found a shop selling may go back to buy 2 more pcs for friends. Price $125 thereabout. No promises but will try. Let me know.

dac1317b25075e0d9db66c8e5cc98ba9.jpg

cf43e62b4d7fcc694ff9c80d6dc438bb.jpg

a2c74adf590ab2c444a7aa998001032f.jpg

4561bf763991eb34ea42edfbab2d9e28.jpg

I have both the GXR and XE1 with M lenses. Let me try to answer yr questions.

1. Startup is about the same for both. XE1's batt life is way much better than the GXR.
2. I think the GXR's refresh rate is a bit better but was never an issue for me with both cams.
3. Never tried
4. Quite quick, good enough for me for both

I find the GXR colors cleaner while the XE1 is warmish even when set to Standard. I use both as XE1's 35mm is really very good and it's got AF - useful once in a while.

Gee thanks for the user feedback! Actually I am surprised the start up time for both is the same - thought the XE1 was marketed to be faster. Was hoping it would be faster than the GXR cuz I do find it a tad slow on start up (somewhat like the old 10D starting out). Not a deal breaker but would be nice to have it activate in the fly and ready to shoot.

Sgcamerastore but price unknown yet as not launched yet. Should b by this weekend.

So fast? Tim from match tech said will only be out dec 2012 ... pre-order starting sometime this mth.

numero said:
So fast? Tim from match tech said will only be out dec 2012 ... pre-order starting sometime this mth.

Tatz wat sgcamerastore told me last weekend. I'm gonna call them tomm n confirm.