Frustrated!!Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am not sure if you can use 28 or 75 for landscapes!!..it will be too narrow field of vision. although 18 could be acceptable but yet not sure abt the quality of 18-200 at 18mm. Although from my exp all the lenses except a very few PRO grade ones can give decent to very good images depending on your style. Few tips
  • Aperture f8/f11
  • Lowest ISO possible.
  • Use Tripod if shutter exceeds 1/30.
  • Remote trigger to avoid vibrations.
  • Experiment with hyperfocusing for landscapes

Another advice could be to use lenses that have VR (in Nikon term)

If still you are not satisifed :) then you can try other lenses as mentioned in the thread earlier. Myself i am using 16-85 and the results are very good.

DeepS

It might not be as common, but longer lenses definitely can be used for landscapes. :)

Erm .. you should focus on learning the very basics instead of hunting down gear in the assumption it would somewhat improve your images.
Short but precise: Photography Notes for Newbies
Elaborate and comprehensive: Guide to DSLR Photography for Newbies
Without knowledge and skills no gear will help you - because you won't know how to use it. Invest some time reading. The returns are much greater than spending money on lenses.

Thank you for the notes...It really helps...yah,was looking for some notes n coaching..just that dun even noe where to head too...

Pictures with the EXIF Format will be post tomorow....Just came back n too tired...

Thank you for all the advises and tips!

i am not sure if you can use 28 or 75 for landscapes!!..it will be too narrow field of vision. although 18 could be acceptable but yet not sure abt the quality of 18-200 at 18mm. Although from my exp all the lenses except a very few PRO grade ones can give decent to very good images depending on your style. Few tips
  • Aperture f8/f11
  • Lowest ISO possible.
  • Use Tripod if shutter exceeds 1/30.
  • Remote trigger to avoid vibrations.
  • Experiment with hyperfocusing for landscapes

Another advice could be to use lenses that have VR (in Nikon term)

If still you are not satisifed :) then you can try other lenses as mentioned in the thread earlier. Myself i am using 16-85 and the results are very good.

DeepS

Seems like your view of taking landscapes with telephoto lens are pretty narrow too. Go google for landscape photos taken with telephoto lens like 200mm, 300mm, etc... Some people even use T/S lens for landscape.

TS, you need to learn the proper techniques for taking landscape. Getting a good tripod, good ballhead and cable release would be a very good start for gear purchase.

Seems like your view of taking landscapes with telephoto lens are pretty narrow too. Go google for landscape photos taken with telephoto lens like 200mm, 300mm, etc... Some people even use T/S lens for landscape.

TS, you need to learn the proper techniques for taking landscape. Getting a good tripod, good ballhead and cable release would be a very good start for gear purchase.

tHANK you cutedo...

Mayb im still havent got a full control of the camera and lens..dats why i didnt get the satisfaction there..hmm..

Must really do some read ups..

WOW...i do agree after reading up on google about telephoto lenses for landscapes...never looked at it that way.

:thumbsup: Thanks Bro

DeepS

WOW...i do agree after reading up on google about telephoto lenses for landscapes...never looked at it that way.

:thumbsup: Thanks Bro

DeepS

No problem. What we are trying to say is that your imagination is the only limit to taking good photos. Keep shooting!

Still waiting for the photos to be uploaded... TS??

Sorry sorry....Didnt have enuff time to access the net at home..only during working hours...but the pictures are at home!!!arrgghh...

Will try very best to upload soon..

To be frank, i'm really curious to see why the other lenses can't "cut the mustard" compared with your 50/1.8. Dying to find out! :)

IMG_4913.jpg

1/30s
Focal length : 179.00mm f/36.0
35mm equivalent:980mm ISO 1600

Using the sigma 18-200mm Non-os Lens

IMG_2931.jpg

1/2000S
Focal Length : 50mm f/1.8
35mm equivalent : 274mm iso:1600

Using canon 50mm f1.8

Here are the pictures....Its isnt the same pictures but hope you guys can give your reviews.

f/36? For small apertures, there are lower limits that you should adhere to as well because diffraction sets in and it'll directly affect the sharpness of your pictures. Every lens is different but most lenses are sharpest between f/8-f/16 or maybe up to f/22.

Shooting at such high ISO (1600) tends to lead to very noisy images which is not great for sharpness as well. Stick to as low ISO as you possibly can in most scenarios.

f/36? For small apertures, there are lower limits that you should adhere to as well because diffraction sets in and it'll directly affect the sharpness of your pictures. Every lens is different but most lenses are sharpest between f/8-f/16 or maybe up to f/22.

Shooting at such high ISO (1600) tends to lead to very noisy images which is not great for sharpness as well. Stick to as low ISO as you possibly can in most scenarios.

Yup!I realise that the higher the ISO is,the noisier the picture will be..

Its just that i like to shoot during night and that will create the problem...so have to increase the iso,especially without flash..

Will keep in mind to bring the ISO As low as possible...thanks a million

1/30s

1/2000S

Using canon 50mm f1.8

Here are the pictures....Its isnt the same pictures but hope you guys can give your reviews.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of the lenses and any amount of renting will not help you take better pictures if you dont get your BASICS right.

ISO1600 doesnt just mean more noise, it also means higher senstivity leading to higher exposure resulting in faster shutter speed and a level with so small aperture that it will cause diffraction.

So even before i point any tips, get back to the "Guides" and sticky posts in this section before you get into frustation mode.

Another thing, why are you posting picture taken 1.5 yrs back!!
[Image]
Make = Canon
Model = Canon EOS 350D Digital
Date Time = 2008-11-29 10:20:04
Date Time = 2009-02-06 09:22:23

:think: :think: are you just trying to play smart or act as a propganda for renting lenses or something!!

Tokina 11-16mmm F2.8 :)

1/30s

1/2000S

Using canon 50mm f1.8

First of all, you are not even comparing similar conditions (focal lengths, subjects etc).

Also, I'm having difficulty understanding these. Why is the focal length of a 50mm at an equivalent of 274mm?

And lastly, you handheld at 1/30s and shoot at 179mm?

IMG_4913.jpg

1/30s

IMG_2931.jpg

1/2000S

Using canon 50mm f1.8

Read n Shoot n Read n shoot made perfect.
I can't find your focus point on the Eggs photo
It blurr.... try setting to one point focus and F8 for Aperture Iso = 100-200 to reduce noise. For canon and Nikon that does not have Vibration built in to the body, so buy lenses with V/R for Nikon and IS for Canon and DO OS for Sigma etc.....
Speed slower than 1/60 use a tripot

Happy shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.