From Panasonic MD9000 to Sony HDR-SR1E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am intending to switch from my current MD 9000 to Sony HDR-SR1E(HDD recording).
Reason for change:
1- i want better picture quality.
2- save cost on DV tape (very high usage for me everyweek)

Is it a good move?
Any SR1E user yet, out there to give me comment about this Video Camera?
How it perform under low light?

Current:

pana_md9000.JPG

Buying:

Sony-HDR-SR1-vanity.jpg

i have not use this camcorder before but personally find it don convince me interms of handling.. too small.. too light not stable.. imagine the focusing ring is so small n near to the lens.. there is a tendency that your hand in shot. shoulder mount still best for stability .

but think it is good for traveling, and not for productions.

if talking abt prosumer range, i am not confortable with Harddisk recording yet.. i still strongly prefer tape.. just personal preference. :)

Yah, I agree wif da 4hrs recording usually it took longer than that to video. Anyway can an external harddisk be attached to the videocam?
Size is up to individual as long as the person has a very stable hand shuld b no prob, personally I prefer shoulder mount for greater stability.
I believe in giving a pro image, as I move around to do videoing da pple around me might be a potential client. If I were to carry equipment that looks like a toy might not give a good impression. though I also believe that the final product is da decisive factor.
Anyway jus a 1 peso opinion, u R your judge:) :) :)

Hi anarkia

How comfortable are you making a switch from shoulder-mount to hand-held recorder?

Any idea how your budget will be stretched when 'converting' from one brand to another in terms of hardware like, batteries, lights, etc?

Software for HD is totally different from that for Mini DV.

No point chasing after technology, especially now when HD has still no recording hardware. Meaning for consumer level you need to go down a level from HD to DV or MiniDV when burning DVD.

Make do with what you have on hand. It is a good enough recorder if you are into wedding mainly.

I am also another keen onlooker for HD. But I have to take care of my budget first.

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

sorry.. just a quest.. :)
here HD.. HD refers to Hard disk or Hi def? ;)

personally... i find...
for HardDisk recording so call tapeless, personally find not confortable as i still prefer tapes.
for Hi Def, i am also not ready yet since we still have to down scales to SD. anyway the local broadcast is not broadcasting HD yet..

and i agree.. dont chase after technology unless u needed to.. i think u aready have a very good cam which can convince your client..

I believe in giving a pro image, as I move around to do videoing da pple around me might be a potential client. If I were to carry equipment that looks like a toy might not give a good impression. though I also believe that the final product is da decisive factor.

tat's call packaging i guess :)

here HD.. HD refers to Hard disk or Hi def? ;)

HD = Hi Def

HDD = Hi Def Disk

Now for Sony HDR-SR1E.

It is on HDV based on MPEG-2 technology whereas HD is based on MPEG-4 technology.

Recorders with over 700 plus video lines are consider HD.

But HD as in HDV(consumer and prosumer grade) and 'REAL' HD(professional grade) are different thing.

Since HD is based on MPEG technologies it is good for anyone who work on time sensitive contents where speed is top priorty. Record, with or without editing, transmit over the internet. Like news reporters.

When technology is based on MPEG, one expects high compression of both video and audio quality.
HD with its emphasis on speed will have to compromise on quality. For technology come with a price.
Comsumer has to decide between - speed and quality.

And HD is FLAT. It is something to do with depth of field.

Hi anarkia

How comfortable are you making a switch from shoulder-mount to hand-held recorder?

Any idea how your budget will be stretched when 'converting' from one brand to another in terms of hardware like, batteries, lights, etc?

Software for HD is totally different from that for Mini DV.

No point chasing after technology, especially now when HD has still no recording hardware. Meaning for consumer level you need to go down a level from HD to DV or MiniDV when burning DVD.

Make do with what you have on hand. It is a good enough recorder if you are into wedding mainly.

I am also another keen onlooker for HD. But I have to take care of my budget first.

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

My Consideration / Preparation before buying issue "ONLY" doesn't mean i am buying now:

Main reason for choosing SR1e: mainly for HDD recording not because of HD. If that the case might as well buy SR100e or firestore(Too Expensive) use with existing cam, But HD is added advantage and 2 in 1 package (tapeless recording + videocam) compare to purchasing Firestore i think :think:

1- Shoulder Mount to Hand Held:
= Use Shoulder / Chest Pod
and add monopod for extra dual as hoisting high angle.

2- Recording time 4hrs only? :
= yes true.
AVCHD (240 min) 4 hrs.
HQ (440 min) 7.3++ hrs
SP (650 min) 10.83++ hrs
LP (1250 min) 20.83++ hrs
i took "wedding" mostly, how often i used up 3 or 4 mini-dv tape per event?
If do, after editing. Can your DVD hold up more then 2hrs of play?
I think i dun have to bring my PC along during shooting. Coz i will not shoot in HD.
If i were to, i would bring a laptop just in case. Anyway so far they don't pay enough for HD Movie DVD

3- HD Editing:
(2 x Dual Core Opteron processor, Quadro FX 3450 GFx card and LCD Tv HD ready)
i think should be ok.

4- Public Eye:
This one matters me the most. From wanting to purchase SR100E untill SR1E come out still worry about this.
Hmm look like toy, yeah true maybe. To them (public) bigger mean "professional" i think. You think so? is that what they think?

I have think of a way to do some add in modification to make it "look" a bit bigger.

1- 52mm wiide converter lens
2- Bayonade extension
3- Step up ring 30mm - 52mm
4- SLR mic input box
5- video light
6- External Mic
7- Shoulder / Chest Pod
8- Mono pod

anymore?

**just my idea** don't have to be true.:lovegrin:
(best of all can bring it any where for holiday maybe) (will be usefull still if not use to capture event for client..hehehe)

Hi anarkia

On point 4.

Yes if you are selling yourself as a professional in wedding, you need to have equiments that offer better quality than consumer grade, you also need to look pro.

Wan mention it in his reply and sundazz summaried it by calling it total packaging.

With the $$$ you intend to spend I can go away for a short holiday nearby and spend the rest stocking up on MiniDV tapes;)

in point no2
I have to agree that how often we are shooting 3-4 hours or 3-4 minidv but its always better to have some standby spaces coz sometimes u might not know it. ( couple always wants every penny of theirs worth it. );)
Longer recording time i believe means drop in pic quality... no point in compromising it, bad for image:nono:
Generally many are not in favour if they were in your shoes. However listen to your heart not other pple's heart.

jus to add on. try not to use $ earning equipment for holidaying u risk it being spoilt faster. Esp if u r goin to beaches:nono:

Shoulder mount for stability. I find the Sony HDR-SR1E very hard to use (shaky video). And I think the HD is not a good idea. Tapes will give you more flexibility.

Shoulder mount for stability. I find the Sony HDR-SR1E very hard to use (shaky video). And I think the HD is not a good idea. Tapes will give you more flexibility.

i think so too.. tapes much more flexi..

another thing is if the harddisk crash :)dunno: ).. all the footages will be gone? tapes will be survageable and atleast parts of footages still usable.:)

i think so too.. tapes much more flexi..

another thing is if the harddisk crash :)dunno: ).. all the footages will be gone? tapes will be survageable and atleast parts of footages still usable.:)

I will not rule out HDD, because there is limitations in MiniDV should your head for HDV. Anyway if you really want convenience, get FireStore. It really saves the time you require on retrieving the DV from Cam to PC for NLE.

I will not rule out HDD, because there is limitations in MiniDV should your head for HDV. Anyway if you really want convenience, get FireStore. It really saves the time you require on retrieving the DV from Cam to PC for NLE.

don means tat i will totally not go into HDD.. but for me i think i will still wait and see first.. ;p

I dun think miniDV tape cost should be a factor to change to HDD.

How much does 3-5 tapes cost per wedding ? $30 ?
What is the % of this $30 to what you charge ? I think very very small right ?

I dun think miniDV tape cost should be a factor to change to HDD.

How much does 3-5 tapes cost per wedding ? $30 ?
What is the % of this $30 to what you charge ? I think very very small right ?

totally agree on this.. and know wat? i even archive my master copies in miniDV and keep in dry carbinate.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.