fountain of wealth

xecro

Sep 17, 2010
hello, i've only got a dslr recently, still trying to learn how to use it.

the fountain of wealth is something i've always wanted to take. when i'm there, the whole fountain and stuff looks very nice, but i just can't seem to get the picture on camera.

6293937879_655b9de40d_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

composition and exposure.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

show a nice view of the fountain of wealth.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

n/a in this case?

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

i quite like the picture, if only it didn't have the hideous pillar showing from the right ): it's like overexposed but i don't know what to do about it.

Last edited:
The timing is your problem... I may be wrong because I don't go to Fountain of Wealth very often, but by the time the fountain gets like this it is already dark. So you will have a lot of issues with balancing exposure - take for example your background, the building has turned into a mess of disembodied floating lights, it does not really look like a buildling anymore.

That said, the composition is a bit off for me. I'm not sure I like the fountain like this, it's overdomineering. Perhaps a wider view might help, with more space on the left and right. As it is currently there is too much empty and useless space at the bottom.

Some thoughts:

1) The pathway to the fountain can be used to introduce a leading line
2) So can the pillars on both sides, to "frame" the fountain

Hope this helps with your retake. Cheers.

thanks for your comments, will time someday to retake it!

Hey Xec,

In my opinion, I think the glaring yellow light on the left is a distraction, and also, the water flowing down the 'steps' are too still, perhaps due to lack in exposure. If I were you, I would take the shot in the late afternoon, probably 4-5pm, with a tripod and ND filter to increase exposure ;)

I suggest you could shoot the fountain during different times of the day, and at different floors, maybe shooting from the top of the fountain would be different. Also, you can check for upcoming events/performances near the fountain because the fountain would be illuminated with lights, thus spelling a great opportunity for a remarkable photo :)

I agree with the ugly pillar, it showed how old the pillars are and how the colours are fading, which does not give a good mood.

However, I love how the movement of the water was shot, you articulated the flow of the fountain's water.

I don't think I'm qualified enough to give such solid comments hahaha but keep shooting bro/sis!!