Forsaken

Status
Not open for further replies.
The score is an average of atleast 2 person and rounded to the nearest whole.

Writeup's Purpose(Crafted) or Memo(Crafted) is out of 4
- If you write a dramatic english novel but we cannot see it, you get a 0. If your photo got no purpose, you get a 0. Stay simple and truthful you might still score in this part.
Originiality(Crafted) or Luck(Candid) is out of 5
- This is the hardest part to score.
Bonus marks of 1 for full manual aka film on pre 1988 camera.
- Only after you manage to get a 4/9 from the top.

For example, this picture manage to score 3 for purpose.

Forget to add...
Instant zero(or maybe 1-2)
Obvious mimic.
Shooting at mode other than M,A,T(S)
Photos that makes you press your palm on your face.

okay, with that, you just showed us your judging criteria, not how you would judge and give an 8/10

come on, show us your 8/10. i'm sure many of us are awaiting that piece.

by the way, shots captured cannot be pp-ed ah? i was reading your little signature, post originals.

The score is an average of atleast 2 person and rounded to the nearest whole.

Writeup's Purpose(Crafted) or Memo(Crafted) is out of 4
- If you write a dramatic english novel but we cannot see it, you get a 0. If your photo got no purpose, you get a 0. Stay simple and truthful you might still score in this part.
Originiality(Crafted) or Luck(Candid) is out of 5
- This is the hardest part to score.
Bonus marks of 1 for full manual aka film on pre 1988 camera.
- Only after you manage to get a 4/9 from the top.

For example, this picture manage to score 3 for purpose.

Forget to add...
Instant zero(or maybe 1-2)
Obvious mimic.
Shooting at mode other than M,A,T(S)
Photos that makes you press your palm on your face.

I take it on that you are a film lover, which realizes that there would be a bonus mark for using a full manual film camera. At times, when the photo has no meaning, just a great scene which we dun see everyday, its a gd photo as well. And usually mimic with innovation is the best way to learn. Do not push away the old saying, " the best way to honor's one work is to copy it" and " copying is the best way to learn". Do not tell me that you had learnt everything about composition, aperture, shutter and ISO control, all on your own without reading up and trying out from there? Shooting with Modes M, A, T(S) does not makes u any more professional, much less, gain you more points like u suggested. Presets are there to aid you, and if you know how to flaunt them to the maximum you would be able to generate great results.

As for your last point on photos that makes you press your palm on ur face, in which according to you warrant an instant 0, i beg to differ. Those are the kind of photos that would seriously qualify a 10/10 score in learning. After all, the joy of photography is to learn everyday and put them into gd use.

Saying so much might not make you understand what i am driving at. So pls, like what many others had mentioned. Show us a gd piece of your work, and share with us. Show us a photo you took that qualifies a 5/10 or more, taken by you by a full manual film camera.

TS, like what you said, if you had great fun in shooting, it is great! Keep up the spirit and continue learning from your mistakes, not the grades. Points would not bring you far, but understanding will.

Well, the bonus marks for full manual does not meant that we love film, but to show us that the photo was made by someone who understand exposure.

The goal of M,A,TS is also to show us that you understand exposure.

True that facepalm photo are key learning material, but they still dont deserve any marks.

I would not rate my personal work, as it would result in unfair marks. But if I remove the purpose and goal and bonus, I would rate my best photo 3/5.

This is a photo from my friend which I would rate it 8/10. This photo was old, color was losing and it did not went though any color enhancement, but I dont think it deserve any less.

His memo of the picture.
This is my cat, she is around fourteen years old now and her age are showing. The past few days she has been very ill, refusing to eat nor drink and having gastric problem. The photo is taken in my room where it was only barely lit so I am afraid that I am going to lose this last shot of her that was left on my roll.

But we wont be posting here anymore, since the moderators here have no problem listening to any complains and deleting post. Heading back to photo.net and DA.

Quite disappointed with a critiques corner where people only want to hear good things, it defeat the purpose of critiques.

this is how I would do it...

I'll take the ball back, since there's going to be a good theme on it. ( discarded, old,dirty,unwanted )

Find a field that people playing soccer, place this ball with the goal post as backdrop and wait till the players and the new ball is in the view...fire away. Many shots to choose best.

DOF prefers backgrd action to be just discernible but not blur.

Lighting...this main subject to be in the shade but not shadow and backgrd action in the light.

A mid-tele setting will be fine, but can also try on longer tele setting. So that the backgrd action will appears closer. goalpost act to frame the whole picture.

The purpose of this setting is...

old unwantd against new, dirty and worn out against bright and new,(that's why main subject in shade), no body pay attention against all action on the new ball.

Any comment are welcome. Don't know this picture will score how many point ?

btw, this has to be a set up picture and not found picture. Thanks.

The photo need more depth.

The ball could have look better with a little fill.

This shot could have been done better at a distance(100mm++) to narrow down the background.

3/10

Hi krit, care to explain what is meant by the 3rd sentence? I kinda of didn't get it.

But we wont be posting here anymore, since the moderators here have no problem listening to any complains and deleting post. Heading back to photo.net and DA.

Quite disappointed with a critiques corner where people only want to hear good things, it defeat the purpose of critiques.

dear kritikosN1,

i've been to both photo.net and DA and have not seen your brand of "critique" that you have decided to foist upon CS. i am a firm supporter of critique corner, and you do seem to take the time to critique images. unfortunately, your style of critique leaves much to be desired, imho. pls note that the rules and guidelines of critique corner apply equally to the threadstarter as well as the critique giver. dismissive one liners such as "0/10, bring more memory cards next time" is just about as useful to the TS as a sixth toe. Most of the TS have taken the effort to post the image with a proper writeup, perhaps you could extend the courtesy to give a proper and constructive critique as well.

cheers,
z.

Last edited:
this is how I would do it...

I'll take the ball back, since there's going to be a good theme on it. ( discarded, old,dirty,unwanted )

Find a field that people playing soccer, place this ball with the goal post as backdrop and wait till the players and the new ball is in the view...fire away. Many shots to choose best.

DOF prefers backgrd action to be just discernible but not blur.

Lighting...this main subject to be in the shade but not shadow and backgrd action in the light.

A mid-tele setting will be fine, but can also try on longer tele setting. So that the backgrd action will appears closer. goalpost act to frame the whole picture.

The purpose of this setting is...

old unwantd against new, dirty and worn out against bright and new,(that's why main subject in shade), no body pay attention against all action on the new ball.

Any comment are welcome. Don't know this picture will score how many point ?

Actually, I did consider moving the ball to a different location to take the shot, but something within me wanted the pic in its "natural" condition. I found the ball like that, so I'll shoot it and leave it without touching it at all. Might sound wierd but that's just me. :embrass:

Btw, thanks to all the users for their critiques. I find it very insightful. ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

first time posting in the Critique Corner. ;)

I saw this lonely forgotten football while talking a walk with my new D90. Love the texture on the ball and the "forsaken" feeling it gave me. I feel that the "flap" peeling off the ball might be a tad distracting but decided to leave it in as it gaves the ball more character.

Totally no post-processing was done on this shot.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Everything and anything!

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Is the "forsaken" feeling strong enough?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This pic was taken under harsh sunlight, at -2.0EV.

i like the solitary football and it's texture. it gives me a forsaken feeling, but i feel the contrast is lacking between your subject and the background. i think there was no need to shoot at -2.0EV as the harshness of the sunlight would help to accentuate the contrast as well as the "forsaken" feeling, conveying a mood of the football left to the mercy of the elements. would suggest a slightly tighter crop to remove the distracting foliage at top corners of the image, as well as bringing the subject slightly closer to the viewer.

e.g.
3079020278_15614892de_o_rev.jpg

Well, the bonus marks for full manual does not meant that we love film, but to show us that the photo was made by someone who understand exposure.

The goal of M,A,TS is also to show us that you understand exposure.

True that facepalm photo are key learning material, but they still dont deserve any marks.

I would not rate my personal work, as it would result in unfair marks. But if I remove the purpose and goal and bonus, I would rate my best photo 3/5.

This is a photo from my friend which I would rate it 8/10. This photo was old, color was losing and it did not went though any color enhancement, but I dont think it deserve any less.

His memo of the picture.

i don't mean to diss your friend's work, but really, what's so good about that photo? it looks like a shot my mum took back in the 70s. and yes, her work has her very own merit. but like you said about bokeh being a lens characteristic, old negs/shots have their own characteristics. just like this shot, the faded colours, stains on the negs and etc, are not done by your friend, but the conditions of the film, yes?

so how do you hold true to your gradings if you're being inconsistent in them?

and yes, go back to DA or photo.net if you think we're being childish by not wanting to hear your unsavory remarks.

#28, Sly..

Certainly, as you're the photographer, your decision will be respected. There are nature, landscape, news and reportage photographers who would like to shoot their works " as it is ", no modification, no extra lighting, no props, no set up, no post software effect, everything NO, except it's NATURAL....best suited career...Photojournalism !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.