Foreign talents... are they ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a FT here (educated here, have son here, work here, spend here, tax here, rent here etc), our intention is make money and live safely. Eat bread, drink office coffee or cup noodle, foodcourt in shopping mall or restaurant are just same as any citizen.

I am from Malaysia and I would assure you only that little of FT is welcomed! Why? even the locals are not given the same oppurtunities, not to mention the chances of global exposures and to compete with the neighbours. What do you see in my country? Narrow minded people and their pride of driving Kancil..... isn't it sad, my country with so much potential and resources but to where have we reached?

And those who think living rate is cheaper in Malaysia, do make a trip to my hometown - KK, Sabah. A normal breakfast (fried noodle, kopi-o) RM 7.70 = S$3.20. How much is the normal office salary there? RM1100 ~ RM1700. Normal experienced engineer about RM2300 ~ RM3300! Petrol of RM2 per litre. Bus and taxi not frequent, so buy Kancil or 2nd hand wira... now how about the 99yrs leasehold 2 storey terrace house? starting from RM300k (area as big as 4-rm HDB). Do we have apartment? Yes! our lousy private apartment size of S'pore 3-rm HDB starting from RM150k. on top of that, residents pay management fee and town council fee just to have the rubbish cleared once in every 3 or 4 days, not like here so frequent! We do have freehold, but the condition is same as MAS and cost millions... even in KK town.

So how many percent of those coming from such background (nothing back home) would want to go back and start all over again? Can they guarantee their offspring will have better future?

All these really depends on the people and their background, experiences and both native as well as host environment. We complain like citizen but we bear the frustration just like citizen, Singapore is still a heaven to some or hell to some. :cool:

As a FT here (educated here, have son here, work here, spend here, tax here, rent here etc), our intention is make money and live safely. Eat bread, drink office coffee or cup noodle, foodcourt in shopping mall or restaurant are just same as any citizen.

I am from Malaysia and I would assure you only that little of FT is welcomed! Why? even the locals are not given the same oppurtunities, not to mention the chances of global exposures and to compete with the neighbours. What do you see in my country? Narrow minded people and their pride of driving Kancil..... isn't it sad, my country with so much potential and resources but to where have we reached?

And those who think living rate is cheaper in Malaysia, do make a trip to my hometown - KK, Sabah. A normal breakfast (fried noodle, kopi-o) RM 7.70 = S$3.20. How much is the normal office salary there? RM1100 ~ RM1700. Normal experienced engineer about RM2300 ~ RM3300! Petrol of RM2 per litre. Bus and taxi not frequent, so buy Kancil or 2nd hand wira... now how about the 99yrs leasehold 2 storey terrace house? starting from RM300k (area as big as 4-rm HDB). Do we have apartment? Yes! our lousy private apartment size of S'pore 3-rm HDB starting from RM150k. on top of that, residents pay management fee and town council fee just to have the rubbish cleared once in every 3 or 4 days, not like here so frequent! We do have freehold, but the condition is same as MAS and cost millions... even in KK town.

So how many percent of those coming from such background (nothing back home) would want to go back and start all over again? Can they guarantee their offspring will have better future?

All these really depends on the people and their background, experiences and both native as well as host environment. We complain like citizen but we bear the frustration just like citizen, Singapore is still a heaven to some or hell to some. :cool:

welll said :sweatsm:

The following is a articles from The Straits Times Forum, please read and think about it.

Punish disloyal foreign sport talent

With the spate of letters debating the issue of the foreign sports talent scheme, it seems everyone has long forgotten our disloyal runaway foreign imported paddler, Zhang Xueling, as well as a problem footballer & a third, a problem shot putter.

Does granting this talent citizenship, & rewarding them lucratively for the medals they earn for Singapore, imply they will remain loyal to Singapore & stay put to represent the country as long as they are physically & mentally capable.

Zhang answers this question.
After winning medals in the Asian, Commonwealth & the South-east Asian Games, she called it quits in the prime of her career & left Singapore.

Let's compare Zhang's example with the case reported on Monday of the Norwegian brothers, who are born here but left when they were still young. They cannot return to Singapore because rgey defaulted on their national service ("Give up citizenship? Brothers must do NS first")

Shouldn't the Singapore Sports Council apply the same ruling to similarly disloyal foreign sports talent who decide to give up on us in the prime of their career?

It is only just that certain terms & punishment be imposed on these disloyal foreign imports if they decide to give up citizenship & stop playing for Singapore after the country has spent so much effort & money to mature & reward them. This is also only fair to devoted sports followers & taxpayers.

However, rather than resolve these problems, I feel the foreign sports talent scheme should be abolished to avoid these possible hassles. It is high time we started spotting & maturing local sports talent instead.

By Vernon Sim in 30 Aug 2008 The Straits Times Forum

Why must you blame them for this thing happen. In the first the sport council should think it over before grant them with a citizenship. If they willingly to leave their origin country to represent for other country just for the sake of money and luxuries, don't you think they will do the same think if they get a much more better offer.

In today's world, money rules. Even a wife can betray the husband because of money and mother's daughter's relationship can end up in court sueing each others because of money.

Last edited:
just sharing out of the blue.... OT but can be related if think of it:)

Did you know that in the ww2 there are some germans living in texas and illinois for over 20yrs who fought against people in their neighborhood simply because their real country (germany) called them to report for duty. :) :dunno:

just sharing out of the blue.... OT but can be related if think of it:)

Did you know that in the ww2 there are some germans living in texas and illinois for over 20yrs who fought against people in their neighborhood simply because their real country (germany) called them to report for duty. :) :dunno:

really? from ur statement, u think that should singapore is in a state of war with...say malaysia or indonesia, the ft currently living here will rise up against signaporeans? is that the reason they should all go back? like dis...everyone in singapore shuld to back to either china, indonesia, malaya, india, britain or whenever the heck they're from liou...coz singapore has no indegeneous ppl!

i think there's pros and cons. but its really scary thinking e number of FT is like really huge and still increasing.

that aside, i think its been tough on them to leave their homes and country to start fresh abroad (not talking abt those paid to come here).

i think the real concern is job issue? they could live here for all they want, but don't eat into our limited resources.

they could live here for all they want, but don't eat into our limited resources.

Like what limited resource? :dunno:

- water imported from malaysia (new water is not sufficient - not enough locals to pee to fill reservoir) :bsmilie:
- beef imported from all over the world (got brazil if not wrong, argentina, malaysia, australia, NZ)
- pork imported from china, indonesia, australia (malaysia got or not?)
- lamb imported from NZ, malaysia, australia (malaysia got or not?)
- chicken mainly from malaysia
- egg mainly from malaysia
- rice from thailand
- vegetable from vietnam, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, china, taiwan ... oh well some are grown in singapore but they are quite insignificant in quantity
- fruits from china, taiwan, indonesia, malaysia, philiphines, australia, NZ ....
- milk ... ok lah goat milk may be locally produced and enough to satisfy those who fancy drinking goat milk.
- fish (I dont know where they come from really, cos those reared in kelong need to be caught - where they buy from I have no idea - may be mainly indonesia or malaysia)
- oil - from brunei
- gas - from indonesia

so the FT are probably consuming the produce of their own country in singapore :sweat:

By the way - singaporean - going overseas to other place and work as FT ... will they face same issue?

Children of PR living in SG who are themselves PRs have to serve NS, though many will run-off back to their home country just before being called up. This is one thing the SG govt must be tough on, currently there is no penalty for this. My friend is planning to do this with her kid. :sweat:

To be citizen you must become PR for min 2 years, then serve NS as part of the requirements.

I don't agree with that. I left Singapore when I was 17, because in my career i'm pretty sure i'll never live/work here again [Photojournalism,anyone?]. I see nothing wrong with that. My parents still live here. I would much rather travel/study for those two years than serve an army which probably will never fight a war..

Like what limited resource? :dunno:

- water imported from malaysia (new water is not sufficient - not enough locals to pee to fill reservoir) :bsmilie:
- beef imported from all over the world (got brazil if not wrong, argentina, malaysia, australia, NZ)
- pork imported from china, indonesia, australia (malaysia got or not?)
- lamb imported from NZ, malaysia, australia (malaysia got or not?)
- chicken mainly from malaysia
- egg mainly from malaysia
- rice from thailand
- vegetable from vietnam, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, china, taiwan ... oh well some are grown in singapore but they are quite insignificant in quantity
- fruits from china, taiwan, indonesia, malaysia, philiphines, australia, NZ ....
- milk ... ok lah goat milk may be locally produced and enough to satisfy those who fancy drinking goat milk.
- fish (I dont know where they come from really, cos those reared in kelong need to be caught - where they buy from I have no idea - may be mainly indonesia or malaysia)
- oil - from brunei
- gas - from indonesia

so the FT are probably consuming the produce of their own country in singapore :sweat:
i believe he's talking about the salary and work positions.....

really? from ur statement, u think that should singapore is in a state of war with...say malaysia or indonesia, the ft currently living here will rise up against signaporeans? is that the reason they should all go back? like dis...everyone in singapore shuld to back to either china, indonesia, malaya, india, britain or whenever the heck they're from liou...coz singapore has no indegeneous ppl!

oh this reminds me. it was actually a real thing, we did have a regiment which was under malaysian rule which fought against us singapore. i cant remember exact details but yes it happened.

still, if u ask me, singapore still more stable. i mean who wanna go to unstable country like malaya and indonesia? i rather fight for singapore ~~

:dunno: maybe :sweatsm:

rubbish.

i know of many prc students in my schools who participated in way more extra activites than me.

btw, are you commando? if not, you are not singapore man. :bsmilie:

Commando is the best of the best, I am only a rifleman. SAF change me from a boy to a man.

Even today our good friend MM Lee says on an interview with National Geographic that Singapore is a nation that is still in the building. It will take a few hundred more years for nation building to be done.
My goodness....

China is nation with 5,000 years history, yet the citizens are doing jobs shun by others? So Singapore need few hundred more years for nation building.

ok,

so i suppose that maybe the chinese in singapore will fight each other for fun because china orders us to fight each other out of the blue?

for the motherland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok,

so i suppose that maybe the chinese in singapore will fight each other for fun because china orders us to fight each other out of the blue?

no no no! its the fatherland! communist is always fatherland. :bsmilie:

ok,

this e times when a shuriken is very handy.. dun trust auntie in e neighbor.. she might
show some kung fu skills one day. wwwwoooowataw! :bsmilie:

no no no! its the fatherland! communist is always fatherland. :bsmilie:

be careful of that russian model you are shooting.

one day she might just turn around and pick up your light stand and bash you into pieces because russia has ordered it. :)

be careful of that russian model you are shooting.

one day she might just turn around and pick up your light stand and bash you into pieces because russia has ordered it. :)

nayyy...i oredi knew she's a swallow...:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.