Food photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsybitsyspidy

Jul 5, 2004
Hi,

If i'm interested to take food photography, what kind of lens should i be looking at? Would i need a macro? What focal range would good? Prime?

Hi,

If i'm interested to take food photography, what kind of lens should i be looking at? Would i need a macro? What focal range would good? Prime?

Lol for me personally, there's no restriction.. But what I like to do, since you're into food photography, is to isolate the food from the background.

Means you gotta have a shallow depth of view, hence a f/stop of < 2.8~ is preferred. Of course smaller apertures still can take GREAT photos of food.. but that's just my preference ;)

Do show us your photographs after you take them~!

Lol for me personally, there's no restriction.. But what I like to do, since you're into food photography, is to isolate the food from the background.

Means you gotta have a shallow depth of view, hence a f/stop of < 2.8~ is preferred. Of course smaller apertures still can take GREAT photos of food.. but that's just my preference ;)

wow < 2.8! wat kind of lens can provide such small aertrue! noob here

Hi, are there any food photographers out there which can give some tips on food photography, or perhaps point me in the right direction? Are there any things i should take note of besides having my camera and tripod? I'll be shooting in the day so i'll be using natural lighting.

TIA

hmmmm quite alot of professional food photographers go for smaller aperture. Smaller aperture allows you to capture the texture of the food better. Think about it, what a looks more appetizing? a lump of blur meat, or a lump of meat where you can clearly see the juices oozing out, the rough texture, the steam rising from the meat, the garnishing put to enhance the taste...

Usually, a F/stop of >8 is preferred.

well, for me....food photography..if I want to eat the food in the photograph that I've taken...it means that I've succeeded! I assume this is for some restaurant or some food biz.
Some say use macro (90mm F2.8 etc), one part sharp...rest all bokeh for more arty shots...some pple like all sharp(~28-40mm, F8-11?)...eg set meals found on menus etc. If there're models posing with the food, then its altogether a different story. Watching out for details lost in shadows, use fill-flash or reflector if needed. If its paid shoot, ask client what they want etc.

For 'Food art' then its different..a rusty fork next to a raw asparagus on a grainy surface + side lighting can be considered art it correctly executed.

Food styling is a totally different story, food stylists are professions by their own right. They'll bring the cutlery, mats, and other trickery to make the food look good.

Look foward to seeing yoru posts are your shoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.